ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 68 of 120
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-29-2023
2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
seclark 12:52 PM 07-28-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Eh, that's not happening.

None of those Dodgers pitchers have performed at the big league level and they're all starting to get YankeeProspectStink to them. Every Yankee prospect for decades was some hot shit badass who did...nothing. Dodgers prospects are getting the same treatment. Pepiot is hurt, Stone's stuff doesn't look to be translating to big league hitters (similar to Pfaadt with Arizona), Sheehan is damn sure not a headliner in an Arenado deal. Miller is the only one who's looked like he MIGHT have some real staying power; he's been solid. But if you'd move Arenado, Philly would give up Abel for him in a heartbeat and that's a better prospect than Miller. And I don't believe for a second that Arenado's gonna ONLY accept a trade to LAD.

Give all FOUR of those guys and maybe 2 of them end up mid-rotation starters; Miller with an outside shot at being a 2. Nah, the Cardinals aren't going to take the PR massacre that would come of that sort of thing.

And they're damn sure not taking Muncy back (who's essentially a grown up Gorman) or Taylor (An older Edman).

That's just straight bullshit.
I don’t doubt mo’s ability to throw shit at the wall for pitchers, now in hope to save face after blowing his load this year. And after lying to Arenado, now he’s giving our best player away on a fuckin gamble.
Fuck him
sec
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:02 PM 07-28-2023
Eh, that's not happening.

None of those Dodgers pitchers have performed at the big league level and they're all starting to get YankeeProspectStink to them. Every Yankee prospect for decades was some hot shit badass who did...nothing. Dodgers prospects are getting the same treatment. Pepiot is hurt, Stone's stuff doesn't look to be translating to big league hitters (similar to Pfaadt with Arizona), Sheehan is damn sure not a headliner in an Arenado deal. Miller is the only one who's looked like he MIGHT have some real staying power; he's been solid. But if you'd move Arenado, Philly would give up Abel for him in a heartbeat and that's a better prospect than Miller. And I don't believe for a second that Arenado's gonna ONLY accept a trade to LAD.

Give all FOUR of those guys and maybe 2 of them end up mid-rotation starters; Miller with an outside shot at being a 2. Nah, the Cardinals aren't going to take the PR massacre that would come of that sort of thing.

And they're damn sure not taking Muncy back (who's essentially a grown up Gorman) or Taylor (An older Edman).

That's just straight bullshit.
so standard incompetence is to be expected from this front office.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:12 PM 07-28-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
so standard incompetence is to be expected from this front office.
Not incompetence AND bad PR.

Because PR is still the one game this organization plays to win. If they were to trade Arenado, the PR pushback would be catastrophic and so they'd never do it without being able to sell it.

So they'd have to ROAST LAD in that deal and the Dodgers just aren't in the business of getting strafed in win-now deals for veteran players.

If you're looking for that sort of thing, call the Mets. I just don't know that they have anything left in their system worth chasing for a player of Nolan's caliber.
[Reply]
Miles 03:48 PM 07-28-2023
The other thing that makes me nervous about a deal with LAD is they also seem to be in the business of eating some shitty contracts to take on the star vs paying full value in prospects.
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:58 PM 07-28-2023
Not incompetence AND bad PR.

Because PR is still the one game this organization plays to win. If they were to trade Arenado, the PR pushback would be catastrophic and so they'd never do it without being able to sell it.

So they'd have to ROAST LAD in that deal and the Dodgers just aren't in the business of getting strafed in win-now deals for veteran players.

If you're looking for that sort of thing, call the Mets. I just don't know that they have anything left in their system worth chasing for a player of Nolan's caliber.
Mo HAS to be able to say with a straight face that he did everything he could to field a winner. If they trade Arenado for anything other than bonafide starters he can't really do that. If he does nothing at all he can always say they couldn't get a deal they liked.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:59 PM 07-28-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Mo HAS to be able to say with a straight face that he did everything he could to field a winner. If they trade Arenado for anything other than bonafide starters he can't really do that. If he does nothing at all he can always say they couldn't get a deal they liked.
Without getting a quality pitcher with years left before FA or on their current contract, no way you trade Arenado.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:04 PM 07-28-2023
Now Helmsley wants out. Apparently pissed off about the arbitration hearing. I don’t know why they don’t come up with a better system.

These hearings are all about telling the player he sucks, shouldn’t get that big of a raise. How can it not create bad blood?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:14 PM 07-28-2023
Now Helmsley wants out. Apparently pissed off about the arbitration hearing. I don’t know why they don’t come up with a better system.

These hearings are all about telling the player he sucks, shouldn’t get that big of a raise. How can it not create bad blood?
Denton's been making shit up. Helsley responded to that report on Twitter with something like "Really? I was unaware I felt that way..."

There's no reason to put much stock in that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:15 PM 07-28-2023
Originally Posted by Miles:
The other thing that makes me nervous about a deal with LAD is they also seem to be in the business of eating some shitty contracts to take on the star vs paying full value in prospects.
If they weren't loaded with catching prospects AND have Will Smith, I'd see them as a nice place to unload Willson. But C is pretty much the last thing they need. They have an outstanding big league catcher and 2 of the top 5 C prospects in the game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:21 PM 07-28-2023
Without getting a quality pitcher with years left before FA or on their current contract, no way you trade Arenado.
Miller AND Sheehan would probably qualify as 'quality pitcher with years...' because between the two of them you gotta figure one of them sticks.

But I'd want Miller, Sheehan and Michael Busch to even continue the conversation for Arenado and I don't think the Dodgers bite. And that's while simultaneously believing that all 3 of those guys are overrated by the Prospect Hounds.

Don't look at the prospect lists - look at what LA is doing. They've had ample opportunity to get Busch on the field and he's a 'top 30 prospect' according to the lists. He's hit at every level in the minors and is 24, so neither young nor old - he's ready if he'll ever be. And he's extremely highly touted in prospect circles so in a vacuum, what's not to like?

And yet, he's not getting ABs. What's that tell you the organization thinks about him? An organization that's smarter than we are and damn sure knows more about him than the prospect hounds.

Same story with Stone - he carved up the minors last year, got bombed in the bigs and buried. The Dodgers have had a lot of cause to let him work his way through it but they didn't. Which suggests to me that they're not confident he's a guy that will.

But they've had a lighter touch with Miller. So LA thinks he's their keeper. And they've been a little more patient with Sheehan, so he's their 2nd favorite.

With smart organizations, don't pay attention to what they (or anyone else) says about their guys. Watch what they DO with them.
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:36 PM 07-28-2023
Mikolas got a 5 game suspension
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:56 PM 07-28-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Mikolas got a 5 game suspension
He earned it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:24 AM 07-29-2023
Denton's been making shit up. Helsley responded to that report on Twitter with something like "Really? I was unaware I felt that way..."

There's no reason to put much stock in that.
:-)
[Reply]
bdj23 09:42 AM 07-29-2023
Today should be an auto L with Waino on the mound, correct?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:52 AM 07-29-2023

Possible replacement for John Mozeliak. What about him? He's short yet feisty and loud, likes to be fed 24/7, and wears a bowtie even better than Mo. He's cheap, unless you buy the expensive brand of kibble. His name is... Roscoe Jasper Jenkins Buffa. He sleeps on the job... pic.twitter.com/5Fe5cZhnZ4

— Dan Buffa (@buffa82) July 25, 2023

[Reply]
Page 68 of 120
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118 > Last »
Up