ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>|| Tell me about your kitchen knives ||
SuperChief 01:47 PM 08-22-2019
I'm thinking about getting a new set, and I have no idea where to begin. What is best? What do you work with? What should I stay away from? Halp, plz.

Thanks!
[Reply]
Fish 08:42 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
First FireTV, then Kodi & Furk, now this. I'm about to trust you with everything in my life at this point :-)

If you wouldn't mind, could you get into more specifics about "honing?" I'm not sure what this is/how to go about it/etc.
Thanks!

Here's a decent explanation of the honing steel and how to use it correctly. Most knife blocks come with one, but people tend to ignore it. But it's so incredibly important. Proper routine use of this, and your knives will stay super sharp for decades and will require no "Resharpening" unless it's actually damaged. No sending it back to the company, just a minute of upkeep after every use and you'll have a tool that will last generations.

[Reply]
xbarretx 08:48 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by philfree:
Bought a set of Vitorinox knives here while back and I like them quit a bit. I not a knife expert but they have performed well so far.
Yep, this is my big boy kitchen knife.

Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Rosewood Chef's Knife, 8-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
neech 09:12 AM 08-23-2019
Chicago Cutlery
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:38 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by eDave:
I still have my Cutco starter kit from a loooooooong time ago. Still the best knives IMO.
Worst thing they've ever done for their reputation is have stupid High School kids selling them door to door.

That's a solid knife and most people think they're a joke because of how they're marketed. My 2 Cutco's are my most used knives.

I also have a Misen chef's knife that I like. I don't think the steel is quite as durable as they claim, but it's on par with any $80-100 knife. It's just not this crazy advanced space-aged kind of shit that never needs sharpening. The advantage of the Misen is that the blade angle is a little steeper so it seems to slide better. The disadvantage is that I think it's a little 'grabby' on the cutting board so it doesn't rock chop as well as some. It's a good knife but maybe not the fastest. An added advantage is they have free lifetime sharpening so if it's your #2 knife, that's perfect. You'll always have a sharp blade handy if you send it off to get sharpened/returned.

I have a large Victorinox slicing knife and if you actually need it, it's really the only thing that will do the job. Excellent knife but of very limited application.

If you're getting knives my recommendation would be to 'size up'. Most of the smaller knives in your block will get very little use and as a general rule you always want to use the LARGEST knife that will do the job you're asking. They're just more stable and safer than trying to use a smaller one. They're like screwdrivers in that way - if a better head and longer handle fits the screw, use it. Always size up.

So don't go getting that stupid 'petite' french chef knife thinking the smaller blade makes for more precise work - it really doesn't and that knife is generally worthless. If you have that one and a full size, within a month you'll be reaching for the full size every time. Stick with bigger more often than not; they feel better in your hand, they require less pressure and the extra length allows for more graduated angles that rock better, etc... They just work better.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:55 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by Meatloaf:
On the serrated vs non-serrated issue, I agree with Fish.

Generally speaking, a non-serrated blade can do most everything a serrated blade can do, and more. And yes, serrated blades tend to tear rather than cut. I'm guessing that most of us have had difficulties cutting a tomato using a non-serrated blade, while it's easy to do with a serrated blade. I'd offer that the real issue is that your non-serrated blade simply is not sharp. A nice, sharp non-serrated blade will slice that tomato without ANY pressure....like the proverbial hot knife through butter!

Plus, it's MUCH easier to keep a non-serrated blade super sharp while sharpening a serrated blade is a bit of an issue. My 2 cents.
I'm not going to be overly critical of rainman because he's just such a swell guy.

But he might be an idiot.

Serrated knives get used in my house only for chopping up frozen fish food, chocolate or overripe tomatoes.

Occasionally bread, but good crusty bread is better torn anyway.

The reason those serrated knives work so well for the chocolate (and frozen fish food) is that you can set the teeth on the item you're cutting and they 'hold' it in place before you just pressed down and the edges cut through clean. Does a great job of avoiding slippage. I figured it out trying to make a chocolate covered strawberry milkshake where I wanted chunks of dark chocolate in the shake and since it was desert, I'd used my regular knives for other stuff. The serrated was the only one left with useful mass so I gave it a shot.

Really does an amazing job.
[Reply]
Fish 10:38 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Worst thing they've ever done for their reputation is have stupid High School kids selling them door to door.

That's a solid knife and most people think they're a joke because of how they're marketed. My 2 Cutco's are my most used knives.

I also have a Misen chef's knife that I like. I don't think the steel is quite as durable as they claim, but it's on par with any $80-100 knife. It's just not this crazy advanced space-aged kind of shit that never needs sharpening. The advantage of the Misen is that the blade angle is a little steeper so it seems to slide better. The disadvantage is that I think it's a little 'grabby' on the cutting board so it doesn't rock chop as well as some. It's a good knife but maybe not the fastest. An added advantage is they have free lifetime sharpening so if it's your #2 knife, that's perfect. You'll always have a sharp blade handy if you send it off to get sharpened/returned.

I have a large Victorinox slicing knife and if you actually need it, it's really the only thing that will do the job. Excellent knife but of very limited application.

If you're getting knives my recommendation would be to 'size up'. Most of the smaller knives in your block will get very little use and as a general rule you always want to use the LARGEST knife that will do the job you're asking. They're just more stable and safer than trying to use a smaller one. They're like screwdrivers in that way - if a better head and longer handle fits the screw, use it. Always size up.

So don't go getting that stupid 'petite' french chef knife thinking the smaller blade makes for more precise work - it really doesn't and that knife is generally worthless. If you have that one and a full size, within a month you'll be reaching for the full size every time. Stick with bigger more often than not; they feel better in your hand, they require less pressure and the extra length allows for more graduated angles that rock better, etc... They just work better.
Cutco's marketing practices are pretty silly. But there are still some legit criticisms of Cutco. They're stamped knives, which makes them lighter and thinner. They use cheap 440A stainless steel. The use of 440A alone would be a hard stop for anyone intimately familiar with blade types. That's some mallninja quality crap. 440A is notorious for not retaining sharpness. Which isn't as much of a problem when your cutting edge is essentially a saw instead of an edge. But considering the price point, it should have higher quality steel regardless. They do make straight edge blades, but it's still made with cheap steel that doesn't retain an edge as long.

I know they're crazy popular though and lots of people swear by them. Personally I'd never own a blade I couldn't sharpen myself.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
I know they're crazy popular though and lots of people swear by them. Personally I'd never own a blade I couldn't sharpen myself.
I don't.

Mine are all the straight edge blades. I have a dual sided sharpening stone that I can usually get a good edge on there with by just spending a few minutes once a month. I'll take them to the local sharpening shop once a year just to get a good grind on there.

They do feel lighter than a Wusthoff or something like that, but I wouldn't say they feel genuinely light by any means. I have some shitty Kitchenaid thing that has a red handle that I use when I cut up ghost peppers or something and then throw it in the tailgate box. It was like 15 bucks and it sucks and yeah - that's light.

What people don't mention often enough on the Cutcos though are the handles. That's a really nice shape, at least for me. Feels great in the hand.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:26 PM 08-23-2019
Huge sale at Ambrosi Sept 28. Get our knives sharpened there 1-2 times a year
[Reply]
xbarretx 01:34 PM 08-23-2019

any advice for knives and the kitchen should start and end with ... dont skimp on your chefs knife....outside of that... you can make due. just my $0.02
[Reply]
Mike in SW-MO 02:33 PM 08-23-2019
I have one of everything Cutco made 25 years ago. I sharpen all the smooth edge blades my self. The serrated have never been retouched & do a great job.

I have a set of the knife sharpening wheels from Grizzly. Once you get a repeatable blade angle set, a couple of passes on the polishing stone every couple months keep them "pay attention" sharp.

My favorites are the 4 inch paring knife, the boning knife, and the petite carvers.

It may seem weird, but I use the vegetable knife when I butcher deer. The deep blade makes consistent depth cuts when carving the steaks.
[Reply]
SuperChief 02:35 PM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Huge sale at Ambrosi Sept 28. Get our knives sharpened there 1-2 times a year
Of course I'll be out of state that weekend - hoping the girlfriend can make the trip for me. Thanks for the info!
[Reply]
scho63 02:38 PM 08-23-2019
Buying a whetstone and learning how to sharpen a knife is a very valuable lesson in life.

I had two incredibly razor sharp knives that I used when I worked in the newspaper business for cutting off the ends of a damaged newsprint roll, called a "cutout" and for cutting off the cardboard heads and wrappers that came around the newsprint roll.

I would sharpen them on a whetstone with motor oil as the lubricant and they would be so sharp I could slice a piece of paper like a razor.

[Reply]
Buehler445 03:23 PM 08-23-2019

I like the larger knives, wife likes the smaller ones. She has come around to sharp knives though. Growing up both our parents had cheap crap knives that were about as sharp as my pinky.

I keep my knives sharp and she about can’t handle dull crap any more.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:08 PM 08-23-2019
It's funny. I've bought several knives (and sets) over the years. I've kept the best and thrown away the rest. It doesn't matter the brand. I have a great set after all that time... and a great sharpener.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:16 PM 08-23-2019
About 7-8 years ago my Wife says "I'd like a nice set of knives for the kitchen" so I bought a set of Wusthof knives. Great knives from Germany. Today, they are still going strong and look like the day they were purchased. We keep them sharpened and they are like razor blades. Yep - they were expensive, but well worth it.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up