ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Media Center>Star Wars post Skywalker
keg in kc 04:29 PM 01-05-2020
Project Luminous? Rumored to be Star Wars pre Skywalker era, but rather than Old Republic era it will be so-called High Republic, about 400 years before the Battle of Yavin (which means Yoda is alive...) and it may start with a video game next year before branching out into print, TV and eventually film. Basically sounds like, instead of doing trilogies, they're going to try to go the route of the MCU.

Couple different sources initially out with leaks about this yesterday, and it's starting to spread wider today.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/t...-republic-era/
https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-pr...-of-star-wars/
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-future...ct-luminosity/

If this is real it should be announced by Disney in the next few weeks. We shall see.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:15 PM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Well again, people are just starting up theirs normal routines again. Don’t get me wrong, I expected it to do worse. I just wouldn’t bother too much with using this week as my evidence. But clearly, I have a different way of looking at things than most. So what do I know?
I'm just using your first post as a touchstone for following the numbers, and any conversation that might come from that. Please don't take the followups as a shot or argument. Following the these mega franchises is interesting to me, because they're about all that's left of the movie industry's blockbusters.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:19 PM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I'm just using your first post as a touchstone for following the numbers. Please don't take the followups as a shot or argument. Following these mega franchises is interesting to me, because they're about all that's left of the movie industry's blockbusters.
I understand what you’re doing, and I am not trying to argue either. I’m just throwing my thoughts out there in response to the information.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:31 PM 01-10-2020
I understand what you’re doing, and I am not trying to argue either. I’m just throwing my thoughts out there in response to the information.
:-)
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 07:13 PM 01-14-2020
It was also the Monday kids returned to school and regular life schedules resumed.
It's still coming in lower. The last 3 days were all lower than in '17, and the total came up $18,996,968 for VIII, versus $12,448,187 for IX.

So IX is currently on pace to bring in more than $100 million less domestically than did VII. It's currently about $95m under.

Edit: Holy crap! Someone just pointed out to me that IX ($479,451,123) is only about even with Rogue One ($479,124,415), and trending downward faster.
[Reply]
Jamie 12:24 AM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It's not "just" about the movies, it's about the entire IP, from video games to merch to theme parks to animated series to Live Action series to yes, feature films.

Disney spent more than $1 BILLION on Galaxy's Edge in Orlando and Anaheim, which basically equals the cost of three Feature Films.

They've invested in three new Live Action TV series and the 7th season of their extremely popular animated series, The Clone Wars. There's at least one more Live Action series in development along with another animated series.
I didn't say it was just about the movies (and I don't know why you put 'just' in quotes like you were quoting me, but whatever). All of those things are valid and are important, but the movies are still the most important piece. That may change someday, but it hasn't yet.

Originally Posted by :
They cleared the slate after the issues with RoS. Fired Benioff & Weiss. Brought in screenwriters from all over Hollywood and everyone's rejected them to date.

Maybe this report about the High Republic becomes true but if so, the deal happened the last two weeks of December, which would be unusual, to say the least.

It's not just about the feature films any longer. TV, comics, books video games - those are the key to future theatrical success.

People aren't going to just show up because the words Star Wars are on the marquee.
This doesn't respond to the question it's in reply to, and is mostly just filler information I never disagreed with.

Originally Posted by :
Disney's FIRST MOVE was to obliterate the entire Expanded Universe from Star Wars history. Games, books and comics were immediately labeled as "Legends" and Star Wars: The Clone Wars series was cancelled.
Yes, like I said, I know why The Clone Wars was cancelled.

Originally Posted by :
Now, 8 years later, Season 7 will premiere later this year. Considering that The Clone Wars series aired on the Cartoon Network for 5 years, then Netflix for the following seven years (and The Disney Channel from time to time) before being pulled in April 2019 ahead of the launch of Disney+, I'm pretty certain that it's been seen by more people than saw Solo.
Solo made $213 million domestically, and the average movie ticket price in 2018 was about $9, which means about 23.5 million people saw Solo in the theater. And that's not counting international and streaming, where, according to you, it's done very well. I don't know how many people watched The Clone Wars, but if it was 23.5 million it would have been the #1 show on TV by a mile. Or to put it another way, do you think there's anyone who watched Clone Wars and didn't see Solo? And before you try to add the all the episodes together, that's not more people, it's the same people watching multiple times. Which goes to my point, TV can cater to the hardcores in a way that a movie can't. It doesn't have to cast as wide of a net.

Originally Posted by :
Good grief. Disney crossed the $7 BILLION dollar mark from their feature films in 2019, something no studio had ever crossed.

No one is fretting over Disney's profits.
I didn't say anyone was fretting. What I was saying was, the fact they've made their money back doesn't mean they're content to stop making theatrical Star Wars movies.

Originally Posted by :
And there it is: I was absolutely correct in that you hadn't been to Orlando or Anaheim and waited in line for The Millennium Falcon Ride or been to Galaxy's Edge.

We're Disney Annual Passholders. We've been multiple times since Galaxy's Edge opened and despite those "reports", the lines have been atrocious. As a family, we've waited as long as 2.5 hours to ride the Falcon.

We entered the park at 8am one late September morning and I went directly to the Falcon while everyone else went to Pixar Pier. The Single Rider line was 45 minutes long by 8:30 am and by 10am, it was 90 minutes.

Disney doesn't issue Fast Passes for Galaxy's Edge although you can make a reservation for the Cantina. But, if you don't make it before 9am, forget about getting in that day because people will wait in line for 6 hours or more just to get in.
I mean, Bob Iger admitted that attendance was below expectations, but I guess if you waited in line he must be mistaken.

Originally Posted by :
For whom? Media outlets? Dopey internet writers?

TFA more than doubled what Disney initially expected from Episode VII, as did Rogue One. TLJ still made a massive amount of money although Solo barely broke even at the box office (but has done well on Blu Ray/Digital/Streaming).

Disney re-adjusted their earnings expectations in the mean time and they're more concerned about the future of their IP than making a quick buck at this point in time.
For you. That was a link to a post you made after TLJ came out insisting that TLJ's performance was disastrous for Disney.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:54 PM 01-21-2020
It was also the Monday kids returned to school and regular life schedules resumed.
IF the Boxoffice Mojo numbers are correct, today is the day where domestic box for IX fell to more than $100m less than VIII on a same-day box office count.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_yld_table_6

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_yld_table_1

Also, day 26 was the day when IX fell behind Rogue One.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...ef_=bo_tt_gr_1

So, in domestic box, IX is now lagging behind a spinoff.
[Reply]
Fish 10:12 PM 01-27-2020
Thought this was neat...

[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:31 PM 01-28-2020
IX's domestic take has now fallen well behind that of Rogue One. It will outsell Rogue One globally because of its higher foreign sales, but this has still got to be concerning for Disney.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:45 PM 01-28-2020
IX's domestic take has now fallen well behind that of Rogue One. It will outsell Rogue One globally because of its higher foreign sales, but this has still got to be concerning for Disney.
From my understanding, it's pretty much what they were expecting in terms of box office gross.

Unlike TLJ, in which Lucasfilm expected at least $1.7 Billion, their expectation for RoS was right around $1.2 Billion.

They also realized that millions of people will sign up for Disney+ once RoS is available, which of course provides another revenue stream.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:11 PM 01-28-2020
They were hurt by the bomb that preceded it. I wouldn’t have gone if I did t have kids that wanted to see it but I’m glad I did. I liked RoS
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:36 AM 01-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
From my understanding, it's pretty much what they were expecting in terms of box office gross.

Unlike TLJ, in which Lucasfilm expected at least $1.7 Billion, their expectation for RoS was right around $1.2 Billion.

They also realized that millions of people will sign up for Disney+ once RoS is available, which of course provides another revenue stream.
There's no way they would have honestly expected this move to under perform Rogue One in the U.S. if they'd had any faith in its quality. So they must have known it was shit, and still put it out there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:37 AM 01-29-2020
There's no way they would have honestly expected this move to under perform Rogue One in the U.S. if they'd had any faith in its quality. So they must have known it was shit, and still put it out there.
My understanding is that Disney adjusted their expectations after the box office disappointments of TLJ and Solo.

With the massive success of Avengers: Engame, Frozen 2, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Store 4, et al, Disney grossed more than $6.4 Billion at the Domestic box office (and more than $10 Billion worldwide) before RoS was released in December 2019, so there wasn't an enormous amount of pressure for the film to make or break Disney's year.

Also, they were locked in to the release date, which left them zero options. When I reported back in November and mid-December that the film was still in the edit bay, I wasn't exaggerating. They literally stopped work on it the Saturday night before the Monday premiere. Would 3 more months have made any difference in the box office results? We'll never know but from what I've heard, I'd say that's a hard "No".
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:19 PM 02-04-2020
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...ws-1203493030/

Bob Iger: The Priority In The Next Few Years Is Television

The release of “The Rise of Skywalker” last December ended the nine-film series about the Skywalker clan. It also led Disney to, Iger said, “take a bit of a hiatus in terms of theatrical releases.”

----

I recall someone posting this info back in November...:-)
[Reply]
unlurking 10:22 AM 02-08-2020
So apparently Emperor Palpatine isn't the only dead character to be resurrected (maybe)?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...h-vader-comic/
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:58 PM 02-25-2020
It's all real!

[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up