ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 341
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:04 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Cool, I was just checking out the palmetto website. It looks like that is the way to go for what I want. I'm going to ck out the 300 board. Looks like it should have about all the info I would need.
I have read in many places that an AR in .308 is a much better deer hunting setup, a bigger round... but of course the price goes up
[Reply]
Munson 05:10 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Delaney37:
Well after reading all the posts from all of you AR aficionados and with the current AR media circus, I popped my AR cherry today. I bought the last Ruger AR 556 Academy Sports had in stock here in Topeka. It was being held for another guy but he didn't pass his background check so it's all mine. I know it's a basic AR and it's what I was looking for to cut my AR teeth on. Can't wait to shoot it now :-)
Congrats! Now don't forget to buy plenty of ammo and mags to go along with it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:14 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Munson:
Congrats! Now don't forget to buy plenty of ammo and mags to go along with it.
He better be careful about developing "temporary ptsd", or possibly "bruising his shoulder" with the elephant gun like recoil of an AR...
[Reply]
rockymtnchief 05:24 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
He better be careful about developing "temporary ptsd", or possibly "bruising his shoulder" with the elephant gun like recoil of an AR...
:-) And wear a helmet. Those shell casings flying by your face are damn scary!:-)
[Reply]
notorious 05:25 PM 06-20-2016
Well after reading all the posts from all of you AR aficionados and with the current AR media circus, I popped my AR cherry today. I bought the last Ruger AR 556 Academy Sports had in stock here in Topeka. It was being held for another guy but he didn't pass his background check so it's all mine. I know it's a basic AR and it's what I was looking for to cut my AR teeth on. Can't wait to shoot it now :-)

[Reply]
notorious 05:27 PM 06-20-2016
First cheap upgrade you will love: Magpul CTR Stock.
[Reply]
ghak99 05:35 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Trivers:
Nah!

Gun building is a disease for which there is no cure. :-)

Getting ready to build another with my 80 year old Dad.
Always enjoyed the do it yourself stuff.

Everything from a .32 black powder squirrel plinker to an AR bolt up, just never done an 80%. Figured the timing was right. :-)
[Reply]
stumppy 05:37 PM 06-20-2016
I have read in many places that an AR in .308 is a much better deer hunting setup, a bigger round... but of course the price goes up
As far as caliber goes, for my deer hunting needs, I really don't think it will matter that much. 99% of my shots are 50 yards or less. Deer hunting around here involves the woods, sticks and brush. And rarely will I be shooting some big, tough old buck. About the only reason I shoot a deer is to put meat, young, tender meat in a disabled friends freezer.
From what I've read so far I'm probably going to build one myself and just do it on a monthly budget. I learned a long time ago you never buy the low end model of any gun. ( It really sucks when, brand new, right out of the box the firing pin hangs up when the trigger is pulled then 3 seconds later snaps free and fires the gun:-))
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:55 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by stumppy:
As far as caliber goes, for my deer hunting needs, I really don't think it will matter that much. 99% of my shots are 50 yards or less. Deer hunting around here involves the woods, sticks and brush. And rarely will I be shooting some big, tough old buck. About the only reason I shoot a deer is to put meat, young, tender meat in a disabled friends freezer.
From what I've read so far I'm probably going to build one myself and just do it on a monthly budget. I learned a long time ago you never buy the low end model of any gun. ( It really sucks when, brand new, right out of the box the firing pin hangs up when the trigger is pulled then 3 seconds later snaps free and fires the gun:-))
Sounds like this disabled person has a helluva good friend, kudos :-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:58 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by rockymtnchief:
:-) And wear a helmet. Those shell casings flying by your face are damn scary!:-)
"One fiery casing nearly cauterized my eyelids together as it passed by, I could have been permanently blinded!"
[Reply]
Delaney37 06:00 PM 06-20-2016
Thanks guys and yes I've already started shopping for a few upgrades. Like the look of the Magpul stock kit Notorious! No worries needing a helmet or suffering PTSD here :-) I have a T/C Contender pistol chambered in 45/70 that I hunted elk with in Wyoming with my uncle and have shot a Barrett 50 cal. I also got to shoot my cousins 338 Lapua. He's a retired Green Beret sniper now gunsmith.
[Reply]
Trivers 05:51 AM 06-21-2016
300 BLK solves that problem. .308 projectile.

AR-10 is expensive to buy or build.
[Reply]
pr_capone 08:49 PM 06-26-2016
1,000rd 9mm Aguila 115gr ammo for about $215 with shipping. About $10.60 per box for brand new brass.

http://www.ammomenllc.com/index.php?...roducts_id=176
[Reply]
Bwana 06:31 AM 06-27-2016
Originally Posted by pr_capone:
1,000rd 9mm Aguila 115gr ammo for about $215 with shipping. About $10.60 per box for brand new brass.

http://www.ammomenllc.com/index.php?...roducts_id=176
Yes it would be wise to stock up on anything you need that you can find a deal on now, because things could get interesting with ammo prices in about five months.
[Reply]
rockymtnchief 07:17 AM 06-27-2016
Thanks for the info and link Bwana. I've always been a big fan of the 45/70 also. Reading over the specs for those hammerheads(great name for bullet by the way) they pack a serious punch! That specific Marlin 1895 and a Shiloh Sharps are on my wish list of guns :-)
The owner of Shiloh rifles is my neighbor. Good guy. I ride motorcycles with him and went flying with him last week. If you ever get up this way I might be able to take you through his shop.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 341
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Up