ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>DHCP issue with new camera system
mdchiefsfan 08:59 PM 01-21-2020
I could use some assistance here if possible. Long story short: my neighbor is a psycho and I had to get a camera system installed. Everything was working correctly and I was able to stream cameras on my phone. I had to reboot my router, which knocked the assigned IP from the system.

Since then, my NVR or my router refuses to assign it an IP. I have factory reset both the NVR and the router. I have even tried to create a static IP in both the router and the NVR and nothing has worked.

I called the NVR’s company and they say it’s a network issue; I called my ISP and they say it’s an issue with the NVR (the standard response).

Anyone else ever experience an issue like this?
[Reply]
Vegas_Dave 12:05 AM 01-22-2020
Every now and then, something like this pops up where simple reboot/reset of 1 device doesn't work. Oddly enough, I usually find the best course of action is to shut down every network attached device -router, modem, switches, attached devices, computers, cameras, smart speaker, everything - and then power back on one at a time in order of network control functionality. Always works for me.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 04:37 AM 01-22-2020
I’ll give that a shot. I’m hoping I don’t need a new router.

It’s truly frustrating when you configure NVRs onto company networks, but a simple DHCP connection stumps you :-)
[Reply]
hometeam 07:12 AM 01-22-2020
did they somehow get assigned different subnets? Have seen that before
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 09:27 AM 01-22-2020
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
I could use some assistance here if possible. Long story short: my neighbor is a psycho and I had to get a camera system installed. Everything was working correctly and I was able to stream cameras on my phone. I had to reboot my router, which knocked the assigned IP from the system.

Since then, my NVR or my router refuses to assign it an IP. I have factory reset both the NVR and the router. I have even tried to create a static IP in both the router and the NVR and nothing has worked.

I called the NVR’s company and they say it’s a network issue; I called my ISP and they say it’s an issue with the NVR (the standard response).

Try logging into the webui for your router (usually 192.168.0.1 or something like that) and go to the DHCP/IP bindings section and see if you can find your camera and force the router to forget the device, then reboot both the camera and the router
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:02 PM 01-22-2020
What is the ip of your router? Make sure that the NVR has the right default gateway. Which should be the inside IP of your router. If you set the NVR as a static IP and has the right default gateway you should see connectivity while you are on the LAN. Unless your router is doing some kind of mac binding.

If you setup the NVR as a static IP on your network with the right default gateway. (Make sure you pick an IP that is not currently being used on your network if you go static....) You should be able to take your laptop connected to your LAN and ping your NVR system. If you are able to ping it then you should be able to connect.

If you can access your system locally but not outside the house then it probably something to do with the DNS name your NVR has assigned to it. (It could also be a firewall issue on the router but usually not an issue in home routers) Camera systems usually will register a DNS name so you can access your cameras through the internet. You might try logging into your camera system and change the DNS name and have it re register.
[Reply]
JakeLV 12:24 AM 01-25-2020
Which knocked the assigned IP...

Knocked it from what? DHCP means we’re asking for a dynamic IP and not something static.

Can you screenshot your setups so I can see what it means?
[Reply]
Vegas_Dave 02:35 PM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:

Thinking more on this - you might want to assign the camera's static IP address in your NAT settings in your router. This way, when the router is rebooted, and the devices re-query the DHCP of the router, your cameras are always assigned the same IP.

You might have to reset your cameras for this though for this to work as I assume you are using some web service for the camera stream, rather than directly routing in to the IP:-)ort for each camera.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 AM 01-27-2020
Anything on your network that accepts inbound connections should have a DHCP reserved address. Just set it up, it's usually in the LAN settings. Reserve and address and that way the camera gets the same IP every time if requests one.
[Reply]
bishop_74 12:13 PM 01-29-2020
Packet capture. Are you even seeing the DHCP request from your camera? Might be a firmware issue.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 03:00 AM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by Vegas_Dave:
Thinking more on this - you might want to assign the camera's static IP address in your NAT settings in your router. This way, when the router is rebooted, and the devices re-query the DHCP of the router, your cameras are always assigned the same IP.

You might have to reset your cameras for this though for this to work as I assume you are using some web service for the camera stream, rather than directly routing in to the IP:-)ort for each camera.
I’ve tried to create a static IP for it, but it refuses to connect. I’m turning the NVR in under warranty. The NIC has to be faulty. I had it back online, then after three days, it finally was assigned an IP. I had to reboot the system and lost that IP. It’s now been offline for the last 5 days. What a pain in the ass.
[Reply]
Up