ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 153
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:47 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
She was from Dathomir. That's the planet that was Massacred, again by Grievous. It's part of the character description that has come out after the episode.

I don't know how I (and apparently everyone else on the web...) missed it both times last weekend, but the garment she's wearing after she takes her cloak off is clearly the same maroon Nightsister wrap we've seen depicted both on Clone Wars and during the appearance of the Nightsister during Fallen Order. The marking on her forehead is also a Nightsister marking. I think the thing that threw me is that she isn't grey skinned. But it's clear in retrospect what she's wearing.

And as I recall most of the Nightsister's don't use the Force as Jedi use it. They cast spells and invoke ancestor spirits through rites and rituals.
The only confirmed info about Elsbeth came directly from Ahsoka:

Morgan Elsbeth. During the Clone Wars, her people were massacred. She survived, and let her anger fuel an industry which helped build the Imperial Starfleet. She plundered worlds, destroying them in the process.

The hairdresser's now deleted Tweet mentioned her being from Dathomir but she's clearly human and not a hybrid like Maul, who was Zabrak/Human.

Ahsoka at this point is somewhere around 45-50 years old and her Force powers have most certainly grown in the past several decades. Now that Sidious is dead, the "Veil of the Darkside" has been lifted, so if Elsbeth was a Force-User, then Ahsoka most surely would have sensed it in some fashion or another.

The other issue is that their fight scene is completely devoid of music of any kind. The reason why this is significant is because every single character of importance in the Star Wars Universe has their own musical theme or Motif, from Luke to Leia to Yoda to Vader to even people like Ezra, Kanan and Ahsoka, which we heard when she was first introduced in this episode.

But the usual darker sounding Motif that's accompanied characters like Vader, The Emperor, Darth Maul and even Grand Admiral Thrawn (the Baroque sounding Pipe Organs) is missing when Elsbeth is onscreen.

Maybe she was a Nightsister but it would make for a very strange story arc for that to be revealed later because what would be the point? And why wouldn't Gideon or Thrawn or whoever else is charge use her blood, which would certainly have a high "M-Count" if she was a Nightsister, for their experiments?

I really can't even think of an example of when the narrative of a film or TV series would be so poorly written that a super villain's identity would be hidden, even after that super villain had been killed by the hero of the story.

"Oh yeah, by the way - Tony, that guy you just killed? Do you know who that was? That was Thanos. Yeah, I read it on the internet".
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:15 PM 12-01-2020
Ahsoka is one of the strongest Force users alive, and has been shown to be a masterful lightsaber combatant innumerable times. There has to be a reason Morgan was able to last any amount of time against her, beskar spear or not. I mean, if you want to believe that somehow a random Imperial bureaucrat could hold her own against a Grey Jedi dual-wielder with nothing more than a metal stick, then, ah, okay. I can't think of much that would make less sense than that. Let's have Ahsoka kill every guard without breaking a sweat, but have a tough fight with the woman stuck behind a desk. Sure. Sounds perfectly logical.

She has to be more than just a Magistrate, and the evidence onscreen - ie what she's actually wearing - shows a connection to Dathomir.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:33 PM 12-01-2020
Ahsoka is one of the strongest Force users alive, and has been shown to be a masterful lightsaber combatant innumerable times. There has to be a reason Morgan was able to last any amount of time against her, beskar spear or not. I mean, if you want to believe that somehow a random Imperial bureaucrat could hold her own against a Grey Jedi dual-wielder with nothing more than a metal stick, then, ah, okay. I can't think of much that would make less sense than that. Let's have Ahsoka kill every guard without breaking a sweat, but have a tough fight with the woman stuck behind a desk. Sure. Sounds perfectly logical.

She has to be more than just a Magistrate, and the evidence onscreen - ie what she's actually wearing - shows a connection to Dathomir.
The point wasn't to kill Morgan, it was to retrieve information.

There's no sense in killing her immediately without gaining the information. We've also seen people like Kylo Ren "extract" information, or at least attempt to extract information, using the Force.

We may or may not learn during this season of The Mandalorian whether or not Ahsoka was able to extract the information she was after before killing Morgan but there's no doubt that Morgan is dead. And from what we saw, Ahsoka didn't use the Force in their battle. Otherwise, she would have immediately called her Lightsaber back into her hand using the Force.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:03 PM 12-01-2020
I think you may have gotten yourself confused here.

It's not before the events of the Rebels finale. It's before the *Epilogue* at the end of the finale. Previously people thought those 'where they are now' bits occurred around the time of the battle for Endor, roughly five years after Yavin, ie 5-6 years after the events of the Rebels finale. The suggestion is that those clips show a period actually 5 years after that, meaning Ahsoka and Sabine's search for Ezra didn't start until sometime after the episode last week.
The liberation of Lothal happened shortly before Rogue One which is when Thrawn and Ezra disappeared into hyperspace with the Purgill. That was approximately 6 years before Return of the Jedi, which is why we don't see Ezra or Thrawn during the Original Trilogy.

From Sabine's dialogue, the Epilogue occurred after the events of Return of the Jedi. Hera and Rex fought in the battle of Endor and Jason Syndulla was about 6 or 7 years old. Sabine says that "Ezra is out there somewhere and it's time to bring him home".

If Ahsoka and Sabine's journey to find Ezra didn't start until 5 years after ROTJ, why would Ahsoka think that Morgan Elsbeth knew the whereabouts of Thrawn? Why start there? Does she have proof that Thrawn survived and therefore, Ezra did as well? Or is Ezra dead while Thrawn is in hiding somewhere or worse, reorganizing the Empire, as he did in Heir To The Empire? And if she knew all of this, why didn't she go to Luke or Leia or the New Republic?

There are just too many questions for them to answer, especially in a series like The Mandalorian, even if Thrawn is the big baddie behind it all.

I'm not saying that it's false that Ahsoka's journey to find Ezra is just now beginning but it doesn't make much sense in the overall narrative of a connected universe. It would make more sense if she and Sabine had been hunting Ezra and Thrawn since shortly after the Empire fell and pushing it out five years doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It seems way too complicated but I guess we'll see. It would certainly be far from a straight line narrative, that's for sure.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:10 PM 12-01-2020
I realize that many of these questions are rhetorical and didn't intend for anyone posting in this thread to have the answers, so my apologies if it came off that way.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:40 PM 12-01-2020
All of that said, it sure seems like they're setting up an Heir to the Empire type of story.

The New Republic X Wing pilot said "There's something going on out here. They don't believe it on the Core Worlds but it's true. These aren't isolated incidents - they need to be stopped before it's too late but we can't do it without local support".

Sounds to me as if Thrawn is gathering all of the Imperial forces out on the Outer Rim.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:40 PM 12-01-2020
Makes sense Dane. Thanks.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:13 PM 12-02-2020
I'd laugh if Filoni and Favreau pulled an end-around on Kathleen Kennedy to make their own Thrawn sequel trilogy, set up by the Mandalorian, that shits all over the "official" sequel trilogy.

The fans would never watch 7, 8 and 9 ever again. Might as well be "Legends" at that point.

:-)

If Luke shows up in the Mandalorian, we're halfway there basically.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:24 PM 12-02-2020
:-)

[Reply]
keg in kc 07:18 AM 12-03-2020
No leaks at all this week that I'm aware of. And I'm off work tomorrow, so I don't have to watch at 5 am on 6 hours of sleep. Thank the maker.

I don't have any idea what's going on tomorrow. Which is both great and bad. What I see online are people expecting them to go to Tython right away, and immediately bring in Ezra, or Sabastian Stan as young Like, or Yaddle.

I don't think any of that is going to happen.

Press shortly before the season talked about a tonal shift in the story's narrative about halfway through the season. It was loosely confirmed by Favreau. We maybe saw a bit of that last week, with a somber, almost angry (IMO of course) Ahsoka. But aside from that, not much change.

Giancarlo Esposito has had a big presence promoting the show this year. But he's barely been on it. I think that changes this week. I think this is the turning point. I don't think they head to Tython, I think they get side tracked, as they always do, and I think this is when Gideon strikes.

We'll see.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:55 AM 12-03-2020
I guess fans are pushing for Jason Iassacs as Thrawn
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:51 PM 12-03-2020
Benedict Cumberbatch, too, I've seen.

I'd go for Lars Mikkelsen...
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:52 PM 12-03-2020
Oh and now I'm working tomorrow after all.

Fuck my life.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:55 PM 12-03-2020
Benedict Cumberbatch, too, I've seen.

I'd go for Lars Mikkelsen...
Get either Fiennes brother and I'm happy.

[Reply]
Bowser 03:06 PM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I guess fans are pushing for Jason Iassacs as Thrawn
"That's a live blaster on the bridge of my Destroyer, trooper"
[Reply]
Page 70 of 153
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120 > Last »
Up