ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 31
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
O.city 11:01 AM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
This is the best show on TV.

Fantastic acting, they brought in Stellan Skarsgård, Emily Watson, and Jared Harris FFS.

I have read and read about the Chernobyl disaster. This movie is absolutely crushing the story.
Stellan and Harris were just awesome last night. Emily Watson has got some acting chops too.
[Reply]
Miles 03:30 PM 05-14-2019
Damn that ending this week was brutal. Really liking this one so far.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 03:36 PM 05-14-2019
can someone explain to me why the first helicopters' rotors flew off when it went over and then away from the core?
[Reply]
Frazod 03:51 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
can someone explain to me why the first helicopters' rotors flew off when it went over and then away from the core?
I think being that close to the open core will just make things dissolve.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:53 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I think being that close to the open core will just make things dissolve.
Hit a crane cable.

Recreation of actual event. 4 casualties, but not radiation related.

If you watch closely on the HBO show, you see the block and hook drop from below the copter as the cable is severed.

Much the same as happened here [note the carrying cable forming a catenary from the top of the crane to the bottom of the copter]

[Reply]
Fish 03:59 PM 05-14-2019
The rotors hit one of the cranes nearby. Here's the actual footage:

[Reply]
Fishpicker 04:04 PM 05-14-2019
thanks guys
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:14 PM 05-14-2019
Where was Superman to save the copter? Or does he only work in America?
[Reply]
Miles 04:18 PM 05-14-2019
Other common theme of this show is - no don’t touch that.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:39 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Hit a crane cable.

Recreation of actual event. 4 casualties, but not radiation related.

If you watch closely on the HBO show, you see the block and hook drop from below the copter as the cable is severed.

Much the same as happened here [note the carrying cable forming a catenary from the top of the crane to the bottom of the copter]

Thank you for correcting my ignorance. :-)
[Reply]
wazu 10:09 PM 05-14-2019
Episode 2 was amazing. I had no idea just how catastrophic things might have been. The whole world would be different.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:12 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by wazu:
Episode 2 was amazing. I had no idea just how catastrophic things might have been. The whole world would be different.
I was in the Navy and my ship was in the Med at the time. I might well have gotten caught up in the fallout.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 06:45 AM 05-15-2019
Now that I've finished watching the first two episodes, it's apparent as far as the Nuclear Power plants were concerned the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If it wasn't for a couple of scientist going way beyond their job title, all of Russia could of been lost and much of Europe. This is a really good and well done mini-series.
[Reply]
O.city 07:55 AM 05-15-2019
Had the soviet higher ups had their way and just tried to cover it up, things would have went a lot differently. Holy hell, had they not got the tanks emptied, shit would have hit the fan.

Crazy to think how that part of the world would be right now.
[Reply]
Amnorix 08:38 AM 05-15-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I wonder how accurate the Gorbachev scenes are. So far, at least, they've portrayed him as fairly thoughtful and reasonable.

That is, in general, my perception of him, though I have not read about him extensively or in any kind of focused manner. Certainly more reasonable than many of the hard-line autocratic dyed-in-the-wool Communists that preceded him as Premier.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 31
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up