ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 31
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:49 AM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
I thought “Chernobyl Children” were a thing?
I wasn’t posting it to give credence or solid science etc. but showing that it’s blowing up globally. Articles, meme’s, YouTube vids, podcast etc. people want more. Way bigger in Europe than here so far but word of mouth here in the USA is catching it up in popularity.

Russia hurrying to make its own version tells you all about its popularity. Putin cares about some western TV series because of its popularity in Europe. Makes them look bad.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 08:21 AM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
the simple fact that the author was too stupid to notice the chopper hit the crane means I won't trust anything they say.
[Reply]
kcpasco 08:56 AM 06-08-2019
WTF is this? I never thought the show was trying to say radiation is contagious like a disease but rather the spread of contamination and nuclear fallout is real. And radiation most definitely is extremely harmful to a fetus. There is a reason the dosage allowed for pregnant women is much lower.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 10:28 AM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh c'mon.

I'm sure a bunch of Englishmen, a Swede, an Irish woman, another english woman and a bunch of token character actors from Game of Thrones could've totally all matched Russian accents in a sensible manner and emoted with the same intensity that they did in their native tongues.

They should've absolutely had them all sounding like Sam Neil in Hunt for Red October. When he staggered through "I would liked to have seen Montana" in his dying breaths, it brought a tear to my eye.
I think the actual line was I would have liked to have seen Montana and look at them. They run in flocks (NAAnnnANnnAAAnnnaAAAnAAAA *jurrassic park theme*)
[Reply]
lewdog 01:37 PM 06-08-2019
Watching this made me hate the Soviets almost as much as I hate Canadians.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:02 PM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
WTF is this? I never thought the show was trying to say radiation is contagious like a disease but rather the spread of contamination and nuclear fallout is real. And radiation most definitely is extremely harmful to a fetus. There is a reason the dosage allowed for pregnant women is much lower.
I couple mild criticisms endure.

The first might be more charitably be called a false impression that is allowed to linger more than an active misinformation campaign. Given the successful effort at containment, there wasn't enough stressed about how radiation poisoning is particulate and proximity dependant. If the explosion had resulted in a massive loss of containment of radioactive material, such as leeching into the water supply, there would have a been a grave regional danger of widespread effects. But alpha particle emission begins and ends pretty much with the material itself. It doesn't spread like a virus. You don't carry around alpha particles like you do ebola. The material emits the particle, and it strikes living tissue or it doesn't resulting in cellular damage or not, end of story. If the material doesn't travel on a jetstream, or enter a water supply, all that's left to spread is that physically carried off on clothing and equipment.

The second, is a little more nefarious. I understand the drive to craft a narrative, but the loading of the 'intrepid discovery' of the control rod tip limitation, while important, was not the overwhelming flaw of the entire saga, nor the closely held secret the narrative suggests. RMBK had myriad design and paradigm flaws. Positive feedback is and has been for a long time an ENORMOUS red flag in critical systems. The lack of training was an abysmal societal failure. Mistraining about the foolproof nature of the failsafe due to the control rod limitation was indeed unforgiveable, but the entire thing, from RMBK design to training to oversight was all a perfect storm that had been simmering for years. There were plenty of people who, if asked at the time, would have nominated a site like Chernobyl as the most likely to result in . . . Chernobyl, due to known and clamored shortcomings. It wasn't some big surprise that hinged on a single suppressed failure study. That was just a little too neat a thesis in the end.
[Reply]
kcpasco 02:25 PM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I couple mild criticisms endure.

The first might be more charitably be called a false impression that is allowed to linger more than an active misinformation campaign. Given the successful effort at containment, there wasn't enough stressed about how radiation poisoning is particulate and proximity dependant. If the explosion had resulted in a massive loss of containment of radioactive material, such as leeching into the water supply, there would have a been a grave regional danger of widespread effects. But alpha particle emission begins and ends pretty much with the material itself. It doesn't spread like a virus. You don't carry around alpha particles like you do ebola. The material emits the particle, and it strikes living tissue or it doesn't resulting in cellular damage or not, end of story. If the material doesn't travel on a jetstream, or enter a water supply, all that's left to spread is that physically carried off on clothing and equipment.
Yes it was dramatized but I think the idea was the firefighter ingested so much radioactive material that you couldn’t stand next to him without receiving a major dose. You could wash him and scrub him down head to toe but you can’t remove the graphite dust he ingested. Alpha can also be shielded by a piece of paper.

I work at the Hanford site. You should google the McCluskey incident that happened in the 70’s. His family wasn’t allowed around him for some time. But I’m not an RCT, so definitely not an expert.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02:35 PM 06-08-2019
I wasn’t posting it to give credence or solid science etc. but showing that it’s blowing up globally. Articles, meme’s, YouTube vids, podcast etc. people want more. Way bigger in Europe than here so far but word of mouth here in the USA is catching it up in popularity.

Russia hurrying to make its own version tells you all about its popularity. Putin cares about some western TV series because of its popularity in Europe. Makes them look bad.
Gotcha. It makes me think of that Russian guy analyzing every episode on twitter. He mentioned the Russian national obsession with not being humiliated and being obsessed with what other countries think of them. Can't let this go without their own version.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02:38 PM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
the simple fact that the author was too stupid to notice the chopper hit the crane means I won't trust anything they say.
Yeah, I thought I saw an article that confirmed that happened and radiation may have played a role in dazing the pilot. I'll have to do some more research.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:44 PM 06-08-2019
Yes it was dramatized but I think the idea was the firefighter ingested so much radioactive material that you couldn’t stand next to him without receiving a major dose. You could wash him and scrub him down head to toe but you can’t remove the graphite dust he ingested. Alpha can also be shielded by a piece of paper. His skin would still have radioactive particles unless they scrubbed his skin off.
I agree, but my point [which I acknowledged was minor, and more omission than a purposeful misleading] is that when you're dealing with 'invisible and mysterious' it's a tad irresponsible to leave the impression that the threat is different in nature than it actually is. What with all the hysteria and fascination around contagions [from actual virus outbreaks to zombie movies].
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:13 PM 06-08-2019
Feel like the world missed out on the room temp vodka shots as a potential cancer treatment test opportunity due to their cover up. Seemed as effective as any.
[Reply]
kcpasco 09:07 PM 06-08-2019
I agree, but my point [which I acknowledged was minor, and more omission than a purposeful misleading] is that when you're dealing with 'invisible and mysterious' it's a tad irresponsible to leave the impression that the threat is different in nature than it actually is. What with all the hysteria and fascination around contagions [from actual virus outbreaks to zombie movies].
I see your point on how people could think it’s spread like a virus. You are right that the show could have done more to clear that up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:47 PM 06-08-2019
That’s fair, but I didn’t see anything that was misleading, but perhaps I have a better understanding of radiation than the general population because I tend to nerd out on nuclear stuff.

Looking at it the way you have explained it, I can see where you’re coming from.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:53 PM 06-08-2019
I see your point on how people could think it’s spread like a virus. You are right that the show could have done more to clear that up.
this was talked about on the podcast. It was explained about her contact with the hubby, the baby, where she is now etc.
[Reply]
kcpasco 10:36 PM 06-08-2019
this was talked about on the podcast. It was explained about her contact with the hubby, the baby, where she is now etc.
I could see people with little knowledge of radiation sickness thinking it was spread like the flu instead of just radioactive material emitting radiation.

The Twitter guys falls into that category. But being buried in concrete should have been a big clue to people not that familiar.
[Reply]
kcpasco 06-08-2019, 11:08 PM
This message has been deleted by kcpasco.
Page 22 of 31
« First < 121819202122 23242526 > Last »
Up