ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
kcpasco 11:41 AM 06-05-2019
Great series, one of the best I’ve seen. The acting was spectacular and should win awards.

Off topic but Skargard is going to be playing Baron Harkonnen in Dune. That guy can act.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 12:12 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
Great series, one of the best I’ve seen. The acting was spectacular and should win awards.

Off topic but Skargard is going to be playing Baron Harkonnen in Dune. That guy can act.
I'm really impressed with the cast for Dune. Gonna be spectacular. I hear the King of Jordan will even make an appearance.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:58 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
They crashed because the blades hit a cable.
yeah I mean they were supposedly dead or at-least knocked out because they were right over the core. It wasn't like a pilot error they were fucked. The person taking the shot died later the week.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:19 AM 06-06-2019
Top rated show of all time
Originally Posted by :

HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ Is Now the Top-Rated TV Show on IMDb

“Chernobyl,” HBO’s gritty and horrifying retelling of the worst nuclear disaster in history, has jumped to the No. 1 spot on IMDb’s all-time TV rankings just days after the limited series concluded.

As of Tuesday, “Chernobyl” had a 9.7-star (out of 10) average rating from about 140,000 users on the Amazon-owned IMDb site. The five-episode limited series finished its run on HBO Sunday, June 3.

For now, that puts the critically acclaimed “Chernobyl” ahead of AMC’s “Breaking Bad” (9.5), BBC’s “Planet Earth II” (9.5), HBO’s “Band of Brothers” (9.5), the original “Planet Earth” (9.4), HBO’s “Game of Thrones” (9.3) and HBO’s “The Wire” (9.3), according to IMDb’s ranking of TV shows. (Fandango’s Rotten Tomatoes currently doesn’t provide an Audience Score for “Chernobyl.”)

Variety TV critic Caroline Framke, in her review of the show, wrote, “Rather than bursting into shocking twists, writer Craig Mazin and director Johan Renck build a steadily creeping unease, allowing the scale of the atrocity to sink in with terrible, fitting gravity.”

“Chernobyl” dramatizes the story of the April 26, 1986, massive explosion of the nuclear power plant in the Ukraise that released radioactive material across Belarus, Russia and Ukraine and as far as Scandinavia and western Europe. The limited series was shot on location in Ukraine and in a partly decommissioned nuclear power plant in Lithuania.

“Chernobyl” is created, written and executive produced by Craig Mazin (“The Huntsman: Winter’s War”) and directed by Johan Renck (“Breaking Bad”). It’s produced by Sister Pictures and the Mighty Mint as an HBO/Sky co-production, with executive producers Carolyn Strauss and Jane Featherstone and Renck and Chris Fry co-executive producing. Sanne Wohlenberg (“Black Mirror”) also produces.

The series stars Jared Harris as Valery Legasov, a leading Soviet nuclear physicist; Stellan Skarsgård as Soviet Deputy Prime Minister Boris Shcherbina, who is assigned by the Kremlin to lead the government commission on Chernobyl after the accident; and Emily Watson, who portrays Ulana Khomyuk, a Soviet nuclear physicist committed to solving the mystery of what caused the Chernobyl explosion.

HBO Home Entertainment will release “Chernobyl” on digital on June 24, which will include the companion bonus content piece “Pivotal Moment — The Trial” in which the show’s climactic trial scene is discussed in interviews with Renck, Mazin, Watson and Harris.

Read more here:
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/che...me-1203233833/

[Reply]
O.city 09:33 AM 06-06-2019
It was awesome
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:41 AM 06-06-2019
Nothing more i can say that hasn't already been said. A must watch series. The final episode was outstanding.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:06 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Dyatlov was really shown in a shit light. What an asshole.

And Jarrad Harris should win awards for this. He was unreal. I thought it was cool how they did Emily's character being all the other scientists etc.
Here's the problem I have with here character - she just ended up too pure and noble.

There WERE members of the scientific community who shared her views. And like Scherbina said, braver men than her had an opportunity to stand up to similar foes and when the time came, they did nothing.

If you're going to create a composite character, I have an issue creating one that takes all the good from those characters and none of the bad. Her being a steadfast, loud voice of 'truth' and passing it off as "well I can't say it myself because I'm a women, or else I would..." just shrugs off exactly why people in her position actually couldn't say it.

They'd be fucking prosecuted and imprisoned for it. And so they didn't.

It was my lone frustration in an otherwise amazing series. In a show about the bleakness of moral ambiguity, they just plop one steadfast, strong-willed, truthteller in there and make her unflinching all the way. Hell, she didn't even really serve that much of a narrative function beyond being someone that would allow for 'sciency' conversations to act as exposition and explain things to the viewers.

Emily Watson did a fine job with the part but the character was out of place, IMO.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:18 AM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:

Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Originally Posted by O.city:
It was awesome
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Nothing more i can say that hasn't already been said. A must watch series. The final episode was outstanding.
highest rated podcast too. It’s definitely going to win a bunch of awards.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:45 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If they just made a supercut of all the scenes with Stellan Skarsgard I could probably watch in on loop for a day.

Holy crap he was great in this series.
Agreed. I've always loved his acting.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:46 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Yeah, I don't know about that. It was a good show. Very depressing though, and them not having Russian accents still pisses me off.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:00 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Yeah, I don't know about that. It was a good show. Very depressing though, and them not having Russian accents still pisses me off.
That would have been great. They could have called it Chernobyl's Heroes. Changed the main scientist's name to Comrade Klink. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:37 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That would have been great. They could have called it Chernobyl's Heroes. Changed the main scientist's name to Comrade Klink. :-)
Oh c'mon.

I'm sure a bunch of Englishmen, a Swede, an Irish woman, another english woman and a bunch of token character actors from Game of Thrones could've totally all matched Russian accents in a sensible manner and emoted with the same intensity that they did in their native tongues.

They should've absolutely had them all sounding like Sam Neil in Hunt for Red October. When he staggered through "I would liked to have seen Montana" in his dying breaths, it brought a tear to my eye.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 03:52 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh c'mon.

I'm sure a bunch of Englishmen, a Swede, an Irish woman, another english woman and a bunch of token character actors from Game of Thrones could've totally all matched Russian accents in a sensible manner and emoted with the same intensity that they did in their native tongues.

They should've absolutely had them all sounding like Sam Neil in Hunt for Red October. When he staggered through "I would liked to have seen Montana" in his dying breaths, it brought a tear to my eye.
Listen to the first podcast for the show, they tried doing russian accents, they said it made it comical
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:59 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Listen to the first podcast for the show, they tried doing russian accents, they said it made it comical
Sarcasm.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:02 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
yeah, if it’s not a natural language, just give it up. As the filmmakers said, it’s comical.

Narcos worked because it was mainly in Spanish by fluent actors. If it had been Brad Pitt trying to pull off a Spanish accent, it wouldn’t work.

If you can’t get legitimate Russian actors, just don’t even try. This quality of actors are better just acting instead of trying to pull off a Russian accent. We know most from other roles. We know they are not Russians.

I’d rather have quality actors and ignore British accents in Russia.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up