ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>Spiderman: Far From Home
Gravedigger 08:37 AM 01-15-2019

[Reply]
Lzen 11:46 AM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
There's a big difference between raising issues of social justice and being an SJW.

Women's suffrage, the civil rights movement, slavery: all legit social justice issues.

Free tampons, imaginary genders, and fanatical hatred of anything dissimilar are completely different.

SJW's are a complete perversion of liberalism and "tolerance." It's not a one sided problem: republicans hijacked morality in the 80's and 90's to suppress free speech in music and media. Now the Dems are.

Well said. :-)

Although it should be noted that Tipper Gore (Democrat Al Gore's wife) was the one who started the PMRC. :-)
[Reply]
Fishpicker 01:26 PM 02-06-2019
Stan Lee always had the good sense to bring up social issues with analogy and alegory. Marvel, currently, does not use the A&A approach. Marvel now spells everything out for the reader and throws social justice (Maoist) content into the comics in a very ham-fisted way. that's why the comics dont/wont sell
[Reply]
Bowser 05:41 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
did you copy and paste this from another post of yours (ages ago)? i only ask as i feel i have read it before, and only remember it because i totally agreed with said post.

either that, or i am for an infinite number of times, asking you this same question over and over? :-)
Yeah, I've made reference to that before. That, or I just went full Rick Sanchez on you.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:04 PM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by LanTera:
Well I think this movie would be great. Misterio 100% would be the villain, who would use a lot of illusions
this movie has already been done :-)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081164/
[Reply]
Rausch 04:45 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
Stan Lee always had the good sense to bring up social issues with analogy and alegory. Marvel, currently, does not use the A&A approach. Marvel now spells everything out for the reader and throws social justice (Maoist) content into the comics in a very ham-fisted way. that's why the comics dont/wont sell
Exactly. It's all in the storytelling.

Show - don't tell.

I think Peter David was excellent at this in the 80's and 90's.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:24 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
Everybody bitching about comics and what they think is a new trend in taking on social justice issues is laughable. What the fuck do you think comics were doing throughout their entire existence? Other than maybe the early Superman and early Batman, they were taking on social issues of the time. Stan Lee himself said so many times that he was trying to bring awareness of the issues forward. I guess you hate Stan Lee for that? Shit, wait, Superman was actually kicking Nazi ass before the US even declared war. A large number of Americans supported Germany before we joined, so Siegel and Shuster must have been pissing those people off with their view of social issues.

Deep down why do you care if the newest version of MJ isn't white? Why is that so upsetting to you? Seriously, why?

Peter goes to a fucking inner city school and somehow historically all his classmates are fucking white... that is the least realistic thing in a series about a human gaining spider power.

This came up in the spiderverse thread too. Somebody was pissed that Doc Oc in an alternate universe was female, and that iconic characters shouldn't be altered, yet they weren't bitching at all about the giant fucking dragon version of Green Goblin.

For fuck sake, the X-Men comics are nearly entirely about treating everybody as equal and not judging them by their appearance or physical abilities. WTF do you think that is about?

It's a visual medium, and I didn't recognize the character because she's not a smoking hot pale skinned red head. I happen to like smoking hot pale skinned red heads.
[Reply]
Rausch 02:04 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
It's a visual medium, and I didn't recognize the character because she's not a smoking hot pale skinned red head. I happen to like smoking hot pale skinned red heads.
Exactly. That's her whole thing.

It makes as much sense as making Storm a white gal from Wisconsin or Wolverine from Mexico.

Yes, it actually is important to the character.

And if "race doesn't matter" why are the constantly changing it? I mean, that's the point is that it shouldn't matter what race you are, right? So why change it?
[Reply]
Munson 08:06 AM 05-06-2019

[Reply]
O.city 08:21 AM 05-06-2019
Ok, so who is Gyllenhalls character? Tell me about him.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:28 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Mysterio. Not sure how much they are going to change from the comics.
[Reply]
Fish 08:39 AM 05-06-2019
Mysterio. In the comics he was a goofy villain with no superpowers. Big dome over his head so you could never see his face. He was an illusionist. Used hallucinogenic gasses and holograms to create elaborate illusions. He would envelop himself in smoke to stay hidden and confuse his enemies. Seems weird that they would use him over so many other good villains, but whatever.

I'd bet a dollar that the giant monsters you see in the trailer are all just illusions. Mysterio is going to make himself a hero by defeating his own fake monsters, and then Spidey will get framed and have to prove the truth.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:45 AM 05-06-2019
That's not Sandman?

Nevermind, first couple clips looked like it could be the Sandman, but later ones not.
[Reply]
O.city 09:02 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Mysterio. In the comics he was a goofy villain with no superpowers. Big dome over his head so you could never see his face. He was an illusionist. Used hallucinogenic gasses and holograms to create elaborate illusions. He would envelop himself in smoke to stay hidden and confuse his enemies. Seems weird that they would use him over so many other good villains, but whatever.

I'd bet a dollar that the giant monsters you see in the trailer are all just illusions. Mysterio is going to make himself a hero by defeating his own fake monsters, and then Spidey will get framed and have to prove the truth.
So it's just all a ruse that he's from another multiverse?
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:13 AM 05-06-2019
Quite possible.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 09:59 AM 05-06-2019
I don't think the alternate timelines is a ruse, but yeah I'd venture a guess that he's beating his own monsters for some sort of plot reason. Mysterio was never a good guy in the comics, just a dorky villain with illusions. It looks like they give him magic powers in this one though, some off shoot of Dr. Strange's powers or something of the like. This newest trailer is pretty awesome though.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up