ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Need a new Cell Phone
Holladay 06:14 PM 10-23-2018
I will preface, I am a Cave Man trying to join the civilized world.

Why have a cell phone (jest). I am at the office, you have my phone number, at home call me. If on the golf course, I don't want to talk to you. "Leave a message and maybe I'll call".

Truth though, they can be a leash but necessary. In Europe, they called a "Handy", which they are. A computer in your pocket. But I have a computer in my office and at home. The best reason to have one is for travel. Heck I even have a laptop (some where).

That all said. I want a small phone. I don't watch movies etc. So I don't need a large screen. Pixels for the camera? Not a biggie. Thus looking for a smart flip phone.

Currently I am using a Android Verizon Tracphone. I get great cell service. No contracts/plans. I don't use much talk time, texting nor data. If I do need more time, buy more. If I find I do need much more, then I will sign up with the kids service (of course they have unlimited). For the past few years through Tracphone, I buy a card for $100/year and get double/triple minutes. It has been all I need. I am working to cure that. But $100/yr vs $600-$1000 for contracts seems right for me. So, at this point, I want to maintain flexibility.

Issues of importance that I understand are: size of internal memory (32G), voice keyboard.

I think using the GSM vs CDMA could be an issue as well. I do travel a bit to Germany so thinking GSM would be better. Don't know.

GSM is offered by ATT and T-Mobile. CDMA is Verizon. My son switched to T-Mobile and it sucked in NE Ks. I understand that ATT and Verizon work well. Not T-Mobile.

I believe I should get an Unlocked GSM phone. Then chip it for Tracphone/ATT.

Which Smart Flip Phone with decent internal memory, voice keyboard, GSM?(ATT), at a reasonble cost? I don't need a $600 phone. I read Samsung and Motorola should be looked at.

Thoughts and/or questions would be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:53 AM 10-26-2018
I suggest:

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:32 PM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
You realize that the market is flooded with phones that dont have high quality cameras, loads of memory, or high tech screens right?

That's pretty much what companies like Motorola make a living off of these days. Mid range phones are a much larger market than high end and you can find just as big of a screen in those phones than flagships.
It has been a while since I have searched. So I will keep that in mind. I'm not aware that Apple has a large screen phone without all the extra's. I'm not really keen to switch to Android, but I will keep it in mind.

So I guess I need to restrict my rant to complaining about Apple gouging its customers...

Thanks.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:33 PM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
I think you'd find that most smartphones today have lots of display settings that allow you to change the icon size, text size, spacing, etc. You just need to know where to look. There's even specific themes/modes you can use.

Android: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...endly-0164785/

iOS: https://blog.fonepaw.com/set-up-iphone-elderly.html
Sure, I can take a phone with a tiny screen and zoom Google Maps up to the point where I can see things and on a small screen I could look at a single street at a time...
[Reply]
BWillie 06:20 PM 07-30-2019
I just ditched Samsung for a One Plus 7 Pro.

90hz refresh rate. Gotta have it.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:38 PM 07-30-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I just ditched Samsung for a One Plus 7 Pro.

90hz refresh rate. Gotta have it.
You liking it so far? No headphone jack, no wireless charge, and no water resistance make it a no-go for me but the performance reviews I’ve seen are all positive.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:03 PM 07-30-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
You liking it so far? No headphone jack, no wireless charge, and no water resistance make it a no-go for me but the performance reviews I’ve seen are all positive.
I get it Friday, then I'm switching to Verizon. No more Sprint. Tired of being on a peasant carrier.

I'll let you know once I get it. But the reviews I've read say they just aren't guaranteeing it water resistant because independent testing passes on costs to consumers. I've seen reviewers dunk it in water for a half hour and still fine.

I just use blue tooth now these days and it's said to have warp charging which is even twice as fast as Samsung. We'll see.
[Reply]
mcknzAlex 08:55 PM 07-30-2019
Samsung S10 will be on top of my list for the best smartphone this year.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:45 PM 07-31-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I get it Friday, then I'm switching to Verizon. No more Sprint. Tired of being on a peasant carrier.

I'll let you know once I get it. But the reviews I've read say they just aren't guaranteeing it water resistant because independent testing passes on costs to consumers. I've seen reviewers dunk it in water for a half hour and still fine.

I just use blue tooth now these days and it's said to have warp charging which is even twice as fast as Samsung. We'll see.
Yeah let us know what you think once you've had a chance to use it a bit.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up