Timothy Olyphant
Michael Madsen
Tim Roth
Dewey Crow as Manson

This is going to be one epic movie.

[Reply]
Halfcan 12:45 PM 08-17-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I agree with Kareem. The scenes with Bruce were so far detached from reality it was a farce-pretty much like the rest of the movie.

QT had the potential to make an incredible movie based on a turbulent time in American history. Instead, he made a fairy tale and wasted a lot of great acting performances.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:48 PM 08-17-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
I agree with Kareem. The scenes with Bruce were so far detached from reality it was a farce-pretty much like the rest of the movie.

QT had the potential to make an incredible movie based on a turbulent time in American history. Instead, he made a fairy tale and wasted a lot of great acting performances.
How many QT movies have you seen?

This is what he does. He makes fantasy films. Especially the ones ever since Kill Bill. He’s deep into revisionist history.

Cliff Booth is a fictional character so he can be as strong or as weak as the writer wants him to be.
[Reply]
Miles 04:59 PM 08-17-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

This is what he does. He makes fantasy films. Especially the ones ever since Kill Bill. He’s deep into revisionist history.

Cliff Booth is a fictional character so he can be as strong or as weak as the writer wants him to be.
I thought it was pretty clear how it was shot as Cliff remembering the event we were getting his version as well.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:13 PM 08-17-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
I thought it was pretty clear how it was shot as Cliff remembering the event we were getting his version as well.
Yep, i would agree with that.

Like Kareem mentioned, old Hollywood was extremely racist, so it wouldnt have been out of the ordinary for Cliff Booth to think of Bruce Lee as inferior.

Anyways, i thought it was a badass scene. cool fighting and then extremely funny once Kurt Russels wife shows up and breaks it up.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:06 PM 08-18-2019
This movie was great. The last twenty minutes was the best and I consider Pitt the best part of this movie. The entire theater was cracking up with the last twenty minutes. It did drag a little but second half was great.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:50 PM 08-18-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
This movie was great. The last twenty minutes was the best and I consider Pitt the best part of this movie. The entire theater was cracking up with the last twenty minutes. It did drag a little but second half was great.
I was reading something interesting yesterday. The movie assumes you know the basic facts of the Tate murder going in. If you don’t know then a viewer might be quite puzzled by the ending. The movie never really tells you much about Manson and his crew.
[Reply]
TipRoast 03:28 AM 08-21-2019
If you're a fan of hard science fiction, then Robert L. Forward's Dragon's Egg may appeal to you.

It's the story of a race of intelligent beings living on the surface of a neutron star; the star is careening through the solar system at the time of the story.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:52 AM 08-21-2019

All of them.

Booth was fictional but Lee is not- so that was the point. QT made him into a joke- revisionist history for sure. :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:44 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
All of them.

Booth was fictional but Lee is not- so that was the point. QT made him into a joke- revisionist history for sure. :-)
No one will complain, but Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles “Tex” Watson we’re caricatures of the real people as well.

Same as Goebells and Hitler in Basterds.

It’s what he does.

I guess what I was trying to say was, there’s no reasonable expectation going in that the Lee portrayal would be serious and accurate.

Did anyone really watch that and think to themselves “yep, that’s what Bruce Lee was really like” ??
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:54 PM 08-22-2019
No one will complain, but Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles “Tex” Watson we’re caricatures of the real people as well.

Same as Goebells and Hitler in Basterds.

It’s what he does.

I guess what I was trying to say was, there’s no reasonable expectation going in that the Lee portrayal would be serious and accurate.

Did anyone really watch that and think to themselves “yep, that’s what Bruce Lee was really like” ??
Tarantino takes liberties and changes histories of real people. This isn’t new. This is what he does.

BTW, how far has Hollywood fallen? This is the only original movie to make $100 million this summer. The rest were remakes, next chapter, sequels etc.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:15 PM 08-22-2019
As a surface level viewer, was the young girl 'suck your dick in the car' thing a Manson thing, a Cliff Booth dream thing, a nod towards Hollywood thing, or some combo of any of these?
[Reply]
Bowser 07:39 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
As a surface level viewer, was the young girl 'suck your dick in the car' thing a Manson thing, a Cliff Booth dream thing, a nod towards Hollywood thing, or some combo of any of these?
A combo thing, but leaning heavily on the Manson angle. Maybe not a Booth fantasy as he explained to her he wasn't going to jail for her, lol.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:00 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

BTW, how far has Hollywood fallen? This is the only original movie to make $100 million this summer. The rest were remakes, next chapter, sequels etc.
Agreed. Actually this was probably one of the themes of the movie. QTs feeling of being phased out of being hip and cool paralleled the changing of the old hollywood guard being phased out in the late 60s early 70s.

Changing times.....
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:17 PM 08-26-2019
Well I’ll be damned. Someone is complaining about the Manson family members not being true to life.

Re Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

The Manson Family were overt White Supremacists who tried to start a race war w the goal of killing Black folks.

They werent "hippies" spouting left critiques of media. They were rightwingers.

This fact flips Tarantino's allegory on its head.

— Boots Riley (@BootsRiley) August 24, 2019

[Reply]
banecat 03:40 PM 08-31-2019
That ending, probably a top five ever
[Reply]
Page 16 of 22
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up