ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Netflix: Mindhunter
Frazod 09:19 PM 10-16-2017
Anybody else watching this? Amazing show. The main characters are based on John Douglas and Robert Ressler, the first FBI agents to gain insight into the minds of serial killers by interviewing them in prison (Douglas was the basis for Scott Glenn's character in Silence of the Lambs). Set in the late 70s. I'm three episodes in and really enjoying it.
[Reply]
Nzoner 08:34 AM 10-26-2017
Glad to see all the positive remarks.I love these kind of shows and will be starting this in the next day or so.
[Reply]
Nzoner 07:13 AM 10-27-2017
Well had a do nothing day yesterday so I got on a roll and watched the entire season 1.

Thumbs up all the way around,I thought the acting was very good and the guy that played Kemper was creepy as hell.I thought Shepherd nailed it as well as a believable dickhead.Can't say enough about the soundtrack either as those tunes were the hits of my teen years,especially liked the use of Zeppelin's In The Light.

Lastly was Wendy....I think I'm in love and wouldn't have minded a special scene with her :-)

Not a very in depth review but don't want to spoil anything,all I can say is the series is top notch and now I wonder how long I have to wait for season 2.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:07 AM 10-29-2017
Finally getting around to giving this a decent airing. Looking forward to it a lot.

Had the fortune of Robert Ressler teaching for a couple of weeks in my Abnormal Psychology class at Truman. The instructor, Dr. Costa, was one of the earlier students under him at Quantico and brought him in for a mini-residency. This was just a year or so after Silence of the Lambs came out and Ressler was kind of barnstorming universities to gin up interest in forensic psych.

He had a ton of first-person face-to-face interview anecdotes, Dahmer, Bundy, Gacy, etc. And this was before 'profiling' was part of every network crime drama on earth.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:49 AM 10-29-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Finally getting around to giving this a decent airing. Looking forward to it a lot.

Had the fortune of Robert Ressler teaching for a couple of weeks in my Abnormal Psychology class at Truman. The instructor, Dr. Costa, was one of the earlier students under him at Quantico and brought him in for a mini-residency. This was just a year or so after Silence of the Lambs came out and Ressler was kind of barnstorming universities to gin up interest in forensic psych.

He had a ton of first-person face-to-face interview anecdotes, Dahmer, Bundy, Gacy, etc. And this was before 'profiling' was part of every network crime drama on earth.

That had to be awesome. I’m hoping to delve into some of this in persuit of my Criminology degree.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:39 PM 10-29-2017
Fincher wants four more seasons for a total of five
[Reply]
vailpass 03:18 PM 10-29-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Fincher wants four more seasons for a total of five
Reminds me of the recent South Park episode

http://dcdr.me/2kIXBNL
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:03 PM 10-30-2017
Started watching it on a whim yesterday and ended up binging all ten episodes. Really good.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:21 PM 10-30-2017
On episode 8. Excellent so far, but very creepy.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:02 AM 10-31-2017
There's been criticism of the music cues in this series, but I've enjoyed them a great deal.

The Psycho Killer tag to the unit's sequestration to the basement might have been a little on the nose, but it tonally carried the irony of an upbeat song to a depressing development in their careers, while suggesting that the fact that they still had careers at all and were getting additional liberty to pursue their hunches was a little triumphant as well.

But the best one was the Boomtown Rats to close episode 6. Kind of puts a button on the escalation of the characters' investment in their work [Torv buying a house to be closer to the FBI] and the escalation of the crazy they are fighting.

https://www.snopes.com/music/songs/mondays.asp
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:22 AM 11-02-2017

I had no idea that Sal Costa, adviser to the Sig Tau goatfuckers, was at Quantico. Definitely makes sense why he had that Psychology of Serial Killers class.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:27 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I had no idea that Sal Costa, adviser to the Sig Tau goatfuckers, was at Quantico. Definitely makes sense why he had that Psychology of Serial Killers class.
Did they change the name of it? IIRC, it was just called Abnormal Psych when I took it.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:28 AM 11-02-2017
I thought it was good, but not great. Some of it is because I think the long arc of the story is more interesting than the structure of the individual episodes, standard whole is greater than the sum of the parts stuff. One thing that does bother me is how Groff plays Ford. It makes sense that his character could become increasingly arrogant to the point of putting himself in personal and professional harm, but if you watch him within episodes he'll vacillate from naive schoolboy to dark quasi sociopath without so much as a cue, like he's unsure what to do with the character. And it's not the obvious moments, like when he's working Kemper, or Brudos, or others for info. It will happen in small scenes where he's standing in a hallway looking outside at Devier, and it really takes me out of the scene. Other times, he can bounce between earnestly confident and cowardly, but that's more a function of inconsistent writing.

There's also little reason why he gets back together with Debbie other than they just wanted to put her in two more episodes.

Overall, I found it enjoying, but it's more of a good show than a great one, IMO.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:30 AM 11-02-2017
Did they change the name of it? IIRC, it was just called Abnormal Psych when I took it.
I know it was a 400 level psych class. More of a special topic that was almost impossible to get into unless you had senior status and a good SSN when it was time to register. My roommate took it. I'll have to ask him what it was like.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:33 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I thought it was good, but not great. Some of it is because I think the long arc of the story is more interesting than the structure of the individual episodes, standard whole is greater than the sum of the parts stuff. One thing that does bother me is how Groff plays Ford. It makes sense that his character could become increasingly arrogant to the point of putting himself in personal and professional harm, but if you watch him within episodes he'll vacillate from naive schoolboy to dark quasi sociopath without so much as a cue, like he's unsure what to do with the character. And it's not the obvious moments, like when he's working Kemper, or Brudos, or others for info. It will happen in small scenes where he's standing in a hallway looking outside at Devier, and it really takes me out of the scene. Other times, he can bounce between earnestly confident and cowardly, but that's more a function of inconsistent writing.

There's also little reason why he gets back together with Debbie other than they just wanted to put her in two more episodes.

Overall, I found it enjoying, but it's more of a good show than a great one, IMO.
Two things treated similarly I had very different narrative reactions to.

I really like how they weaved in the

Spoiler!

stuff without comment. Gave a sense of the gravity of their work in real time, and I trust it will pay off well in future season.

Didn't so much like how they introduced the

Spoiler!

storyline. Making it seem more like a crisis of confidence and a general 'WTF' moment than anything.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:35 AM 11-02-2017
Agreed on your first spoiler, had no idea on your second. Were there cues they dropped, or is that just from his bio?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up