ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>Why even try to run out a kickoff??
Mr. Wizard 03:09 PM 10-13-2020
Is there any reason to run out a kickoff anymore? The refs are going to find a hold to call virtually every time now so the risk of trying to gain more than 25 yards is negated so often you lose more than you gain. I know someone out there can look up stats on this. Am I wrong?

PS Mecole has not made good decisions on returns lately. The ball he let go by Patrick was pissed about and the ball he let go between his legs was almost a turnover. These are lack of judgement mistakes.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 08:50 PM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
It could. As the kicking team of you kick it short it’s easier to return it past the 25 where most kickoffs into the end zone taken out don’t seem to make it or are Called for holding
Not really because you are adding hangtime to allow your tacklers to get down the field. I dont have stats in front of me, but I'd say even the kicks fielded out of the end zone dont make it past the 25 the vast majority of the time.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:34 PM 10-26-2020
I don't remember anyone this worried about whether we returned a kick or not when Dante Hall was running them back. I remember HOPING our opponents would be dumb enough to kick it to him.

Did Chiefs' fans just become a bunch of pussies since then?
[Reply]
morphius 06:41 AM 10-27-2020
With our offense, it doesn't bother me starting at the 10 or the 15. If it looks like a good ball to run out, go for it.
[Reply]
Mugalug 08:49 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
So you argue its better to let it go as a return team but then also argue thats its better to kick it out as the kicking team. It can't be better both ways.
Have you never read a Jake F post?
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:44 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I don't remember anyone this worried about whether we returned a kick or not when Dante Hall was running them back. I remember HOPING our opponents would be dumb enough to kick it to him.

Did Chiefs' fans just become a bunch of pussies since then?
There's been rule changes since those days...
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:47 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
There's been rule changes since those days...
I don't care about the rule changes, tbh.

Decisions about whether to return a kick or kicking the ball into the EZ are situational not mathematical, IMO. There are time when you kick it out the back of the EZ every time, like when Hester was in his prime. Kicking to that guy was epically stupid. But guys like Hester are rare.

The Chiefs have a couple of the most dangerous returners in the league right now, and any decent coach is going to try and maximize their impact, especially in a competitive game. Use every tool at your disposal.

And our kicking/punt team has generated good stops and even a few turnovers for our team. Are they the best? I don't know, but I'd bet they're somewhere in the top 10. Most of the time our ST does a pretty good job game in and game out.

I don't see how it makes sense to tie their hands behind their back. They have the athletes and the coaches to help the team win; let them do their jobs.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up