ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Media Center>Hamilton
Mephistopheles Janx 12:16 AM 07-09-2020
Currently out on Disney+. The film is performed my the original cast and was recorded in 2016. Has anyone here watched it? Thoughts?

I think that this is going to open a door for Broadway to make itself more accessible to the masses. How they took a stage production, put it to film, and still having the end product feel like a stage performance was outstanding to me.

As for the musical itself... I thought LaFayette/Jefferson stole the show. The dude was phenomenal in both roles and I hope he gets more opportunities in he future. The guy, who as my wife pointed out is apparently from Glee, was AMAZING as King George.

I found that Miranda's rapping and singing was the least memorable of the main cast. His story telling abilities, though, outweigh his deficiencies as a performer and I found his use of rap, among several others styles, to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton to be inspired.

I watched an interview he did where he speaks to how Hamilton's writing prowess has lead there to be more documents written by him than any other founding father. Rap has more words per measure than any other genre of music and he chose it so he would be able to fit in so much more information to tell a more complete story.

It was excellent and not at all preachy as you might expect from a main cast that is 87% POC on the subject of the slave owning forefathers.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:11 AM 07-11-2020
Also though, it seemed this production was lip synced...is that correct?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:05 AM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Also though, it seemed this production was lip synced...is that correct?
I don't know exactly how they did it, but they did NOT studio record the audio and sync to that. The studio version is far more produced.

I THINK that all of the audio was taken from the live performances during the days they recorded (which I understand was two actual shows with an audience and one day of filming various close-up shots). It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there were moments when the audio was from Day 1 and you were seeing video from the close-ups, for example. So in that sense, it was probably synced a little, but definitely not end to end.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:00 AM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't know exactly how they did it, but they did NOT studio record the audio and sync to that. The studio version is far more produced.

I THINK that all of the audio was taken from the live performances during the days they recorded (which I understand was two actual shows with an audience and one day of filming various close-up shots). It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there were moments when the audio was from Day 1 and you were seeing video from the close-ups, for example. So in that sense, it was probably synced a little, but definitely not end to end.
I read an article about whats considered "live" and whats not by whatever governing board, actors guild, union?

The gist is like in this case, they can take any audio or performance from those two days and mash them together, The comedy specials we see from everyone are usually recorded over two days and mashed together. But, if you say its live, you cant put studio recorded audio into the live broadcast.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:03 AM 07-11-2020

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:04 PM 07-11-2020

Watch Angelica's dress and you'll have your answer....

During Speechless the flowers around her neck come and go.

Not lip synced, however, there were some moments spliced in that were done after the recorded performance. They were done without an audience and they were primarily for more 'intimate' close-up shots. It's still a 'live' performance and not overdubbed, but they did do some editing of a few moments here and there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:04 PM 07-11-2020
The microphones were all routed and recorded in Pro Tools while the video was recorded in Avid, where the final edits and audio mix was completed and rendered.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet (my wife and kids have seen it a half a dozen times since last week) but once everything's benn recorded into an Avid rig and Pro Tools, anything can be fixed, from pitchy vocals to the overall live mix.

While I'm certain that there are different performances from the recordings 2016, the editor will pick the best performance and roll with it. So unlike a general stage performance, we're seeing the best possible performances edited together from many different nights (which is not unusual).

These performances were also recorded without an audience, making the audio editing (and probably the video editing) much, much easier than if there was a live crowd due to the silence in the theater.

That would also explain why some people have felt the edited performance fell a little flat as compared to the theater experience because stage actors really feed off of the audience and their reactions.

Slightly off-topic but I've been watching the Frozen 2 doco series on Disney+ and just as I had imagined, all of Kristen Bell's (and many of the cast members) had their vocals tuned because all of them were extremely pitchy when seen recording their vocals for the songs.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:06 PM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Watch Angelica's dress and you'll have your answer....

During Speechless the flowers around her neck come and go.

No, lip synced, however, there were some moments spliced in that were done after the recorded performance. They were done without an audience and they were primarily for more 'intimate' close-up shots. It's still a 'live' performance and not overdubbed, but they did do some editing of a few moments here and there.
The show was edited together using more than a dozen stage recordings. I haven't checked around but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any overdubbing because that's generally easier than making vocally tuned tracks sound natural.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:24 PM 07-11-2020

[Reply]
Gravedigger 06:12 PM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I doubt if Nugent and Simmons actively support domestic terrorists, either.
Calling MLK a domestic terrorist is coming from the same voice that shot him. MLK made more change in this world than you and your friends ever did or will, and they're far better men because of it. Have a little respect for a man who was assassinated for speaking for equality.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:10 PM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Calling MLK a domestic terrorist is coming from the same voice that shot him. MLK made more change in this world than you and your friends ever did or will, and they're far better men because of it. Have a little respect for a man who was assassinated for speaking for equality.
*Drama!*
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:11 PM 07-11-2020
I believe Frazod is talking about the current cast of Hamilton and not MLK. They support BLM which he believes to be, or has been infiltrated by, domestic terrorists.

/I could be wrong
[Reply]
DaFace 11:10 PM 07-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The show was edited together using more than a dozen stage recordings. I haven't checked around but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any overdubbing because that's generally easier than making vocally tuned tracks sound natural.
Just two with an audience and one day for some songs without.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/m...streaming.html
[Reply]
Frazod 06:58 AM 07-12-2020
Apparently reading comprehension isn't a part of your programming. :-)
[Reply]
Valiant 03:05 PM 07-12-2020
Eh, I don't think that's accurate. There's plenty of rap, of course, but there are some pretty "normal" musical songs strewn throughout as well. I'd guess maybe 75% rap, 25% sung. Essentially no spoken dialog though.
It is more spoken word.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:10 PM 07-12-2020
Just two with an audience and one day for some songs without.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/m...streaming.html
One of my friends at Disney said the initial production company recorded as many as a dozen different shows, then edited them together.

The production company spent $10 million to produce and while they had to rent five cameras, a steady-cam and 100 microphones, that seems a bit expensive to record only two shows.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up