ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pour one out for the sports bar.
Bob Dole 07:13 AM 11-30-2020
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2020/...19-daily-cover

Sobering. No pun intended.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:36 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
“I prefer the comforts of home”

No, you’re just lazy and anti-social.
No. Bars are expensive, most carry just basic bourbons so what I pay for 5 or 6 Makers Mark's I could get a nice bourbon, they are crowded, drunk people do dumb shit, I've been going to bars since I was 19 and just over it.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:44 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I’m sitting in a locally owned billiards and sports bar right now. I didn’t pay to park, my beers is $1.50, and I can walk next door and get and excellent locally owned burger for $6.
That's a neat trick if you can do it, for sure.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:44 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Guess they don't have real sports bars in KC. When I lived there in the late '90s I was working way too much to spend any time in bars, and I worked almost every Sunday back then, so watching the game at all was a no-go.

STL had some good sports bars, neighborhood joints with plenty of TVs, or the local fan bar (can't remember the name of it now, but there was a Chiefs bar in STL back then), so all 12 TVs were tuned to the Chiefs game if possible.

But a decent family-owned sports bar also has great food, not that crap they serve at BWW. Because it matters to the guy/girl actually cooking it. It's like a signature thing. Their name/reputation is riding on the quality of the food they're serving. national chains serve the same crap whether they're in NY or TX. So you get Olive Garden quality menus.

I could get into the details of what makes a great bar, and why it's a great meeting place/cultural icon, but I have a feeling this is far from the right audience, so I'm done with this one, other than to say that the demise of the locally-owned sports bar/watering hole will be a sad day, and not just for their owners, and not even for just their patrons, but for the American cultural landscape as well.

But at least we have zoom and phone apps so more people can look like zombies hunched over their tiny screens ignoring their fellows, right?
Meh... weighing one set of criteria for watching the Chiefs at a bar (which for me, 90% of it revolves around a lot of large TVs with multiple games and easily hearing the Chiefs game) doesn't mean I have zero appreciation for alternatives.

Just this past long weekend, I went to my favorite local place for beer... chatted with the guys behind the counter who I've chatted with many times over the past few years. They're a bit lax on any purchase limits for bottles because I spend a decent amount of money there. Called another liquor store just to see what they had, and the woman who answered the phone had no clue what I was asking for or who even made Bourbon County Stout.

Not the perfect example because the 2nd place is also a local shop and any large chain like BevMo or Total Wine would probably have more knowledge than that one woman, but still... obviously can appreciate one experience over the other.

In the valley, I'll hit Wandering Tortoise or The Theodore Beer Bar or a few other local places, because not only do they have great beer, they also know their shit. The localness is far more important to me in that situation, because they generally have far superior beer... and socializing a bit and being able to get intelligent answers to beer-related questions is far more important to me than wondering if the guy behind the bar thought that one play was a catch or not. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:48 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
They’ve turned our downtown into an entertainment district where you can wander around with your drink. One of the newest has a vacant lot next to it where they have live music on Fridays and show a movie on the wall Saturdays. Bounce houses and shit for kids. Food trucks. A margarita shop opened up in a caboose adjacent to the lot (Railyard District). It’s been cool to see it all come together in the middle of this pandemic.
LITERALLY killing customers
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:33 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
It’s natural as you age.

I started noticing something isn’t right when 18-30 year olds started to stay home to play games instead of going out and chasing pussy.
I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but when I go out with my friends, we don't hit bars, per se, we grab an awesome steak at Flemings or Cut or any other premiere steak joint, then head to a hotel of choice to hang out for the rest of the night such as The Roosevelt, The W Hollywood or even downtown to the Figueroa Hotel and Bar.

Those places are generally devoid of drunk idiots and loud sound systems so we're able to chat and hang out like adults.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 03:47 PM 11-30-2020
Good riddance.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:48 PM 11-30-2020
Reading this thread, makes me realize that America will never be great again.

Glad I lived when it was.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:51 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Reading this thread, makes me realize that America will never be great again.

Glad I lived when it was.
But isn't it actually a good thing that younger generations are drinking less?
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:56 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
America used to be great because people worked hard and weren't lazy bums like the current generation.... except when they were spending hours on end sitting at bars and drinking, which the current generation doesn't do, but should.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:58 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
America used to be great because people worked hard and weren't lazy bums like the current generation.... except when they were spending hours on end sitting at bars and drinking, which the current generation doesn't do, but should.
It's weird to me how so many people long for what used to be even if it sucked.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:59 PM 11-30-2020
It's weird to me how so many people long for what used to be even if it sucked.
Atleast people back then made sacrifices for eachother. Today's generation cant even wear a mask.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:10 PM 11-30-2020
It isn't just about drinking. I don't go to the bar with the express purpose of getting smashed anymore. Haven't really in decades. In fact, if you're my age and you're still going to the bar for the specific purpose to get blasted, you're probably pretty stupid.

Most of the time I have a couple beers or drinks, and hang out with friends/family. it's a meeting place, with a particular atmosphere, and hopefully food, that we enjoy.

It can be a place to just unwind after a long day. When I lived in Chicago there were two kinds of bars I'd spend time in. The one near the train stop near work, and the one near the train stop near home. The ones near work were the ones I'd usually meet my friends/co-workers at because it usually was in between everyone. The ones near home were the ones I used to unwind after a long week, play some pool, etc.

Some bars are for socializing, and some are for being around people while being comfortable being alone with your thoughts or a book for a couple hours. And so on.

Here in PHX I don't have as many options, but I still have found a great sports bar for watching the game with friends, another for watching just Chiefs games, one for watching Blues games (and eating St. Louis pizza/toasted ravs), another for shooting pool with my pool-shooting friends, and one for just being alone with my thoughts for awhile. Some of these can be interchangeable, a couple cannot.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 04:15 PM 11-30-2020
They drink less and smoke a hell of a lot more weed. Pick your poison.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:18 PM 11-30-2020
Some of you guys need to tell the young whippersnappers to get off your lawn. Or maybe go yell at some clouds.
[Reply]
tooge 04:23 PM 11-30-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Outside of a BWW to catch a UFC events... I've spent exactly zero minutes in a sports bar.

We started getting the PPV at a buddy's house instead after a handful of negative interactions with "Affliction" brand wearing douchebags that thought they were UFC super stars along with pretty shitty yet still high food prices.

If I'm gonna force myself to interact with a bunch of strangers for the sake of a sporting event... it will be because I'm in attendance. Otherwise, sports bars are a relic.
Comparing BWW to most sports bars is apples to oranges. It's the Home Depot of sports bars. The cool little local owned sports bars have unique foods, unique drinks, and unique decor and patrons. BWW people are all the same dude
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up