ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 69 of 72
« First < 19596566676869 707172 >
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2019 Missouri Tigers Football Thread****
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:48 AM 08-31-2019
The 2019 season brings uncertainty, as the protracted appeal over a ridiculous "scandal" with a single actor still has not been resolved. On the field, Mizzou faces what appears to be a much easier schedule than in years' past. The early season is loaded with home games before a protracted road stretch from mid-October through November.

Schedule:

Spoiler!

Recruiting:

Spoiler!

Hamas' Crystal ball sees a lot of variance. I could see this team winning as few as 7 and as many as 10 games. Georgia is the only certain loss. Florida is likely still overrated by name, but time will tell.

Official prediction: 9-3. Recruiting prediction: slightly disappointing

FIRE ODOM. NOW
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:35 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Given the lack of basically everyone from 2017 on developing as they should have, save Bolton, I can't be too disappointed about losing a bunch of Barry Odom's targets. Most of them would likely have been cannon fodder anyway. Keeping Young, Hester, and to a lesser extent, Maclin, in the fold is a positive development. If you're going to eat shit on scholarship reductions, might as well sign a smaller class and then load up for the 2022 season than fill out the roster with a bunch of 2* shitbirds.
The problem with that is if your new coach struggles your going to make him wait 2 years before getting a good recruiting class and at best it will take said class 2 years to develop so were looking at year 4 before the turn around happens. Atleast CP isnt that patient lol
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:00 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
The problem with that is if your new coach struggles your going to make him wait 2 years before getting a good recruiting class and at best it will take said class 2 years to develop so were looking at year 4 before the turn around happens. Atleast CP isnt that patient lol
What other choice was there?

And the problem over the last 2-3 years wasn't even strictly recruiting - as Hamas said, it was mediocre recruiting compounded by poor player development.

If Drink can at least get the most out of the talent he has available, that'll help bridge the gap to improved recruiting classes that can cover the missed recruiting cycle.

And again, if this was a homerun class that he'd put together and we lost by firing him, that would be one thing. But this was a staggeringly mediocre class even BEFORE it lost a couple of guys.

There just wasn't a set of readily available exceptional options.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:20 PM 12-18-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
What other choice was there?

And the problem over the last 2-3 years wasn't even strictly recruiting - as Hamas said, it was mediocre recruiting compounded by poor player development.

If Drink can at least get the most out of the talent he has available, that'll help bridge the gap to improved recruiting classes that can cover the missed recruiting cycle.

And again, if this was a homerun class that he'd put together and we lost by firing him, that would be one thing. But this was a staggeringly mediocre class even BEFORE it lost a couple of guys.

There just wasn't a set of readily available exceptional options.
Sign kids, use roster attrition, sign juco kids who can play right away until you can sign bigger classes.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:48 AM 12-19-2019
Sign kids, use roster attrition, sign juco kids who can play right away until you can sign bigger classes.
They still have plenty of time to add on late signees and juco players. You aren't going to shore up the depth of a college football team with black holes at three position sets (OL, DL, WR) in one offseason when inheriting a blah class from a bad recruiter, and the years of the Nebraska building title teams through a walk-on program to augment the violent felons they paid to play are long gone.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:21 PM 12-19-2019
They are adding Curtis Luper as an assistant on O. Looks like he’ll be co-OC.

Great recruiter. Like what Drinkwitz is doing with his staff.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:57 PM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
They still have plenty of time to add on late signees and juco players. You aren't going to shore up the depth of a college football team with black holes at three position sets (OL, DL, WR) in one offseason when inheriting a blah class from a bad recruiter, and the years of the Nebraska building title teams through a walk-on program to augment the violent felons they paid to play are long gone.
Yeah but obviously your chances of building a roster increase when you take 20 guys opposed to only 11, you can still have a walk on program to build some depth. All of those things accelerate the process somewhat opposed to going 3-9 for 3 straight seasons and hoping you get a breakthrough class.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:03 PM 12-19-2019
This is the reality of the early signing period and coaching change. It’s going to hurt the early signing period numbers.

Mizzou lost 4 guys, if I’m remembering correctly (Logan-Redding to Minnesota, Davis to Illinois, the RB to Arkansas, and Curry to Texas).

Nothing says they’re going to stop here. Mizzou has several targets still uncommitted and will try to get to 20 kids, according to what Drinkwitz said earlier.

They have to take a scholarship hit (5 total) due to the NCAA being a collection of buttfucking morons, anyway. Might as well swallow that pill in a year that was going to have a crappy class anyway.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:57 PM 12-19-2019
Yeah there's just no way they were going to avoid some sort of a hit.

Not a single thing Odom was doing was worth questioning keeping him.

I like the staff Drinkman is assembling at least. Would have had a moment if he made Ted Roof DC, which fortunately did not happen.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:42 PM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Yeah there's just no way they were going to avoid some sort of a hit.

Not a single thing Odom was doing was worth questioning keeping him.

I like the staff Drinkman is assembling at least. Would have had a moment if he made Ted Roof DC, which fortunately did not happen.
Dont get me wrong I think it was a great hire and this is year 0. I'm just flipping a little shit because like Frosty, drink deserves 4 recruiting classes before you call for his head. I was just flipping some shit. I'm thrilled we have another top 20 class
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:47 PM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Looking at the 4 playoff teams I have to ask: why fo you even watch that sport? What joy does it give you? Do you like knowing 10 programs always win? It’s literalky the only sport like this. Is it fun going to a minor bowl in some crappy run down city?
You watch a "sport" where you pay players to raise a 4th place banner. Pathetic...
[Reply]
jjchieffan 09:07 PM 12-19-2019
Dont get me wrong I think it was a great hire and this is year 0. I'm just flipping a little shit because like Frosty, drink deserves 4 recruiting classes before you call for his head. I was just flipping some shit. I'm thrilled we have another top 20 class
I'm confused. I thought that you have always been a Huskers fan. When did you start being a Mizzou fan?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:16 PM 12-19-2019
I don't think the two situations are very similar.

Drinkman is basically at a school that masturbated for weeks while shitbird basically said "fire me you fuckers" Week 1. They finally ran out of lube at the last minute, said oh fuck and tried to act like they had a plan all along.

He didn't fuck up for one year as the main guy and they are basically hoping to catch lightning in a bottle here.

Frost came in with expectation of being the savior that could quickly turn around the Cornhuskers. Is it unfair? Probably, but he did turn around UCF quickly and he is Mr. Husk.

I think the problem with Frost isn't that Nebraska isn't already playing for the B1G title. They just don't seem to be making any progress and he's entering the pivotal Year 3 and he's doubling down by keeping coaches he should have left in Florida.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:14 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I'm confused. I thought that you have always been a Huskers fan. When did you start being a Mizzou fan?
I am a die hard Husker fan. I've lived in KCMO the past 7 years so MU is the only school in the state so I follow them along with the B1G/SEC. I dont hate MU but I'm not a fan. I feel as though I havent trolled this thread and had some good honest convo and also the only the current active college football thread.

If folks feel as though I'm trolling and take away from the thread I'll leave.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:28 AM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't think the two situations are very similar.

Drinkman is basically at a school that masturbated for weeks while shitbird basically said "fire me you ****ers" Week 1. They finally ran out of lube at the last minute, said oh **** and tried to act like they had a plan all along.

He didn't **** up for one year as the main guy and they are basically hoping to catch lightning in a bottle here.

Frost came in with expectation of being the savior that could quickly turn around the Cornhuskers. Is it unfair? Probably, but he did turn around UCF quickly and he is Mr. Husk.

I think the problem with Frost isn't that Nebraska isn't already playing for the B1G title. They just don't seem to be making any progress and he's entering the pivotal Year 3 and he's doubling down by keeping coaches he should have left in Florida.
So I feel both programs are the same Mizzou currently/NU 2018.

Looking back it was unrealistic to expect Frost to clean up year 1 which really is year zero with if you look at when both coaches were hired. With the early signing in December its damn near impossible for a coach to assemble a decent roster yet Frost while literally coaching 2 teams supposedly assembled a top 20 roster per rivals. It's clear he took chances on players who weren't the favorite by major schools while Drink went along with what he had.

Theres no debating 4-8 and 5-7 are very disappointing however I think MU will have similar results. The difference is Frost has had 3 top 20 classes which I think will overcome his shitty in game coaching you can go back to UCF and see the similarities with play calls the difference is the first 2 years he hasnt had the talent to overcome. Year 3 they will win 7 or 8 and make a bowl itll be interesting to see if he can go from 15-20 in recruiting to near the top 10. I think he can and have seen no reason why he cant. You criticize the coaches who should have been left in Florida and I agree those guys brought a record number of 4* recruits this year from Florida.

What I've seen from Drink and his recruiting I think hes the superior in game coach and you'll see that year 3.
The question is this 1. Does his system allow guys to flourish regardless of class ranking ala ranking unlike Odom. 2. If he goes 4-8 and 5-7 does the MU fan base turn on him? I recall the days of Pinkel 2003 speficially folks were done with him after the loss to Troy.

My thoughts on Drink are his ceiling is 9-10 wins a year. Dont think he will be the guy who beats Bama or LSU but if he can beat Florida and Tennessee that's a good hire.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:27 AM 12-20-2019
So I feel both programs are the same Mizzou currently/NU 2018.

Looking back it was unrealistic to expect Frost to clean up year 1 which really is year zero with if you look at when both coaches were hired. With the early signing in December its damn near impossible for a coach to assemble a decent roster yet Frost while literally coaching 2 teams supposedly assembled a top 20 roster per rivals. It's clear he took chances on players who weren't the favorite by major schools while Drink went along with what he had.

Theres no debating 4-8 and 5-7 are very disappointing however I think MU will have similar results. The difference is Frost has had 3 top 20 classes which I think will overcome his shitty in game coaching you can go back to UCF and see the similarities with play calls the difference is the first 2 years he hasnt had the talent to overcome. Year 3 they will win 7 or 8 and make a bowl itll be interesting to see if he can go from 15-20 in recruiting to near the top 10. I think he can and have seen no reason why he cant. You criticize the coaches who should have been left in Florida and I agree those guys brought a record number of 4* recruits this year from Florida.

What I've seen from Drink and his recruiting I think hes the superior in game coach and you'll see that year 3.

The question is this 1. Does his system allow guys to flourish regardless of class ranking ala ranking unlike Odom. 2. If he goes 4-8 and 5-7 does the MU fan base turn on him? I recall the days of Pinkel 2003 speficially folks were done with him after the loss to Troy.

My thoughts on Drink are his ceiling is 9-10 wins a year. Dont think he will be the guy who beats Bama or LSU but if he can beat Florida and Tennessee that's a good hire.

It’s pretty hard to land a top 10 recruiting class when all your talent has to come from out of state. 15-20 for a squad like Nebraska is reasonable, and if Frost stays there, Nebraska fans should be thrilled.

I think he’ll eventually have more success there than recent coaches simply because he’ll receive more patience than most of the others did.

Re: Drinkwitz, I think his offensive approach can neutralize some of the talent deficiency at Mizzou as long as he gets good QB play for Robinson and Bazelak in years 1-3.

Up-tempo, creative offenses that use zone blocking schemes are the best for schools like Mizzou (and Id Argue Nebraska should be running that, too). I think that’s one of the reasons for the big dropoff in OL play once Glen Ellarbee and Heupel left Mizzou - suddenly, guys who had been really good in that hurry up no huddle, zone scheme looked like JAGS or worse. Some of it was bad coaching - good luck with Brad Davis coaching his OL to set differently for pass plays vs run plays, Arkansas - but some of it was a scheme that did not do as good a job masking deficiencies.

Re: Drinkwitz’s upside, I think he’s putting in place a staff that is poised to recruit the state and Texas better. Curtis Luper is a major add, and Trooper Taylor is a possibility at WR coach.
[Reply]
Page 69 of 72
« First < 19596566676869 707172 >
Up