ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 24
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck"
aturnis 07:45 AM 11-17-2017
Anyone watch the unveil last night?

The numbers on the semi destroyed what anyone thought possible.

- 0-60 in 5 sec
- 0-60 in 20 sec under max gross payload of 80k lbs
- 65mph up 5% grade under max lied, compared to 45mph for ICE semi
- 500 mile range
- 400 miles of additional range after 30 min charge
- Guaranteed 7¢/kWh fuel cost(solar) compared to volatile oil
- Nuclear explosion proof glass(apparently cracked windshield takes semi off road)
- 1 million mile guarantee it won't breakdown
- Will never need a brake change
- "Impossible" to jacknife
- Beats semis on economics day 1
- In convoy mode, beats rail on economics

300 miles of range: $150,000
500 miles of range: $180,000
Founders series: $200,000

https://youtu.be/CBTQnmUolas
The Roadster was a complete surprise, and the numbers given destroy any production car you can think of, even a Koenisegg.

- 0-60 in 1.9 sec (this is faster than most Formula 1 cars)
- 0-100 in 4.2
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 sec
- 250+ mph top speed
- 621 mile range (That's Kansas City to Denver without fueling)
- 10,000 nm torque

and that's the base model. Starting at $200k and Founders series at $250k. Destroys million dollar cars.

Also teased a rendering image of a consumer pickup truck with a normal truck in the bed.

https://youtu.be/5n9xafjynJA
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 08:59 AM 11-17-2017
I wonder how the batteries would handle a 2900 watt digitally processed 12 speaker focal audio system?

I wonder if that would hurt the miles per charge?
[Reply]
RockChalk 09:09 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by morphius:
Reports are that their fit and finish on the 3 are pretty rough, gaps all out of whack, doors not lined up, etc, etc. I REALLY want them to be a good car company, but we'll have to wait and see.
A client of mine bought herself an S and it was just delivered last week. She made the dealer take it back to fix because...

Originally Posted by :
They delivered the car, but it had several scratches and chips.
Only cosmetic issues (that were noticeable, anyways), but when someone orders a brand new $80,000 car (her price with upgrades), I think it's reasonable to expect that it won't be chipped and scratched.
[Reply]
aturnis 09:13 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
It's not FUD to point out that the S and X have had lots of quality problems and receive low reliability ratings. Those are facts.
It is FUD. Initial quality/reliability and current quality/reliability are two different things.

Early Model S had issues with motors. They changed all out for free as part of their 8 yr, infinite mile warranty. That warranty covers everything.

They since decided they couldn't trust others to build their drive train, and brought the manufacturing in house. The goal is a one million mile guarantee. Given the semi uses the same motors as the Model 3, and the semi has a million mile guarantee, they are there.

Model X had reliability issues with the falcon wing doors mostly. It was brand new tech. Those issue have almost completely been resolved.

They get bad marks for taking the risk of innovating. Something Detroit hasn't done since electronic fuel injection. The risk is too great for them. They're pussies. They even got away from vertical integration after Japan ate their lunch in the 80's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 09:29 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by aturnis:
Terrible job? They're barely behind an accelerated schedule.

I'm not a hater, it's an awesome product and innovative company. However, they only made 260 Model 3s during Q3.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:38 AM 11-17-2017
Exciting stuff!
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:46 AM 11-17-2017
amazing! The future is now!
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:48 AM 11-17-2017
5 yrs later they'll all be automated and the poor truckers are out of business however. Not too mention undercutting the oil industry etc... I love it, but I also work in automation and see the future is bleak for the everyday worker.
[Reply]
HemiEd 09:53 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
What an awesome car
But the question is, can you kick it's ass?
[Reply]
aturnis 09:53 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
I'm not a hater, it's an awesome product and innovative company. However, they only made 260 Model 3s during Q3.
What's your point. They never promised more. Their internal goal was 1500/week run rate.

If they made 10 cars in the last hour of Q3, they achieved said goal. Only Wall Street would never report it that way b/c they focus on short-term, not long-term. Such is the nature of the daily closing bell.

The ramp will involve a lot of downtime to adjust line components for max efficiency. That's how production line optimization works. Only most companies slow the ramp to reduce downtime and increase production. That's not something Tesla is interested in. For them, long-term outweighs short-term.

Their big bottleneck is in the battery production gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada.

An unnamed systems integrator(probably Panasonic) dropped the ball on battery production ramp and Tesla learned of the problem too late. They had to completely rewrite 20-30 man years of software in a matter of weeks. Also had to rework many electrical and mechanical components.

To rewrite all that software likely took loads of manpower. I'd estimate 500+ software programmers/engineers. This is likely why the improvement of autopilot 2.0 has suffered as a result.
[Reply]
aturnis 09:58 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
5 yrs later they'll all be automated and the poor truckers are out of business however. Not too mention undercutting the oil industry etc... I love it, but I also work in automation and see the future is bleak for the everyday worker.
I think the future for the average worker will be amazing.

There's no way to avoid a bloody revolution against the rich, and a luddite revolution against their machines without universal basic income.

The worst part of the impending future is the lack of privacy and freedom for the independent spirit. People who crave that will need to go to Mars. Unless of course technology also allows us to reclaim much of the developed land. City densification and improved farming techniques such as vertical and container gardening should help.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:03 AM 11-17-2017
Checked out Cummins?

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/14...c-truck-party/

Anyone watch the unveil last night?

The numbers on the semi destroyed what anyone thought possible.

- 0-60 in 5 sec
- 0-60 in 20 sec under max gross payload of 80k lbs
- 65mph up 5% grade under max lied, compared to 45mph for ICE semi
- 500 mile range
- 400 miles of additional range after 30 min charge
- Guaranteed 7¢/kWh fuel cost(solar) compared to volatile oil
- Nuclear explosion proof glass(apparently cracked windshield takes semi off road)
- 1 million mile guarantee it won't breakdown
- Will never need a break change
- Beats semis on economics day 1
- In convoy mode, beats rail on economics

The Roadster was a complete surprise, and the numbers given destroy any production car you can think of, even a Koenisegg.

- 0-60 in 1.9 sec (this is faster than most Formula 1 cars)
- 0-100 in 4.2
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 sec
- 620 mile range (That's Kansas City to Denver without fueling)
- 10,000 nm torque

and that's the base model. Starting at $200k and Founders series at $250k. Destroys million dollar cars.

Also teased a rendering image of a truck with a normal truck in the bed.

Not sure how to embed
https://youtu.be/5n9xafjynJA

[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 10:06 AM 11-17-2017
What's your point. They never promised more. Their internal goal was 1500/week run rate.

If they made 10 cars in the last hour of Q3, they achieved said goal. Only Wall Street would never report it that way b/c they focus on short-term, not long-term. Such is the nature of the daily closing bell.

The ramp will involve a lot of downtime to adjust line components for max efficiency. That's how production line optimization works. Only most companies slow the ramp to reduce downtime and increase production. That's not something Tesla is interested in. For them, long-term outweighs short-term.

Their big bottleneck is in the battery production gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada.

An unnamed systems integrator(probably Panasonic) dropped the ball on battery production ramp and Tesla learned of the problem too late. They had to completely rewrite 20-30 man years of software in a matter of weeks. Also had to rework many electrical and mechanical components.

To rewrite all that software likely took loads of manpower. I'd estimate 500+ software programmers/engineers. This is likely why the improvement of autopilot 2.0 has suffered as a result.

The initial goal was 5000/wk, not 1500/wk.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:13 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Product quality starting to suck on everything you buy but machines build it so they make it.
[Reply]
aturnis 10:18 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
The initial goal was 5000/wk, not 1500/wk.
No. 1500/week by end of Q3 and a hopeful 5000/week by end of Q4.

At announcing these goals, they stated they were lofty and probably unachievable, such is the nature of an Elon Musk goal.

They've since readjusted their stated goal to reach 5000/week run rate to end of Q1 2018.

[Reply]
aturnis 10:24 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Checked out Cummins?

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/14...c-truck-party/

Yeah. Tesla likely sent Cummins and Daimler back to the drawing board last night.

Cummins is Class 7 with a 100 mile range(don't see economics working), and Daimler is Class 8 with 220 miles of range.

Daimler might be an option for local routes or farmers if they can compete on price.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 24
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up