ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Would you/Have you ever re-hired a former employee?
KCrockaholic 04:17 PM 11-16-2017
I'm curious to hear from people who've been in this circumstance and had to make a decision on bringing back an old employee.

What would make you agree for them to return vs what would be a deal breaker?

For those who make managerial decisions or own a company, what were the results of bringing back that employee if you chose to do so.

Boring thread, I know, but I'm looking for ideas.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:33 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You rehired someone that you fired? I think I see the problem.
Well...

It was a long time friend who acquired some issues, he lost them for a while and then when the paychecks came back they brought his issues with them.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 05:40 PM 11-16-2017
Done it. Only in circumstances where they followed some worthless bum somewhere, only to come crawling back home.
[Reply]
eDave 05:43 PM 11-16-2017
Absolutely (depending on how the separation went).

In the highly skilled IT arena it happens all the time.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 05:47 PM 11-16-2017
Rainman the Terminator.

[Reply]
scorpio 05:48 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Well, for what it's worth, that's basically my situation. I left Rain Man, Inc. because it was the only "real" job I'd had, and I wanted to get experience with another organization in the industry.

In my case, I actually really liked the place I went, but we got bought out by a giant in the industry, and suddenly I was thrust into a massive bureaucracy. That's my style, so I called Rain Man up and started talking about coming back.

Every situation is different, but I actually think that Rain Man, Inc. has benefitted a lot from me leaving and coming back. I gained a lot of insights into how other firms operate within our industry, and we've made a lot of changes since I came back based on those experiences.

So obviously, you'd want to have a good discussion about what their long-term thoughts are - you don't want to just be the crutch they use while job searching for another field of green grass. But if they're like me, it might work out really well.

(Just to clarify, I was with Rain Man, Inc. for 5.5 years, left for 1.5, and have now been back for 3.5 more.)
Your first foray out of the nest didn't end in overwhelming success so you moved back in with dad?
[Reply]
scorpio 05:49 PM 11-16-2017
Depending on the situation I would totally hire a former employee. But I'm pragmatic, I know others who wouldn't just out of (dumb) principle.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:00 PM 11-16-2017
We did-a teacher. She was great and decided to leave. Grass is not always greener. Glad to have her back.
[Reply]
TribalElder 06:18 PM 11-16-2017
I have always worked hard to be held in high regard by former employers long after we have parted ways. I have not tried to go back but would like to think the option would be on the table if I ever wanted to return.

If they were good you know it. I would hire someone back most likely if the situation came up and they were a valuable contributor.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 06:28 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
We did-a teacher.

[Reply]
Rain Man 06:41 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
I have always worked hard to be held in high regard by former employers long after we have parted ways. I have not tried to go back but would like to think the option would be on the table if I ever wanted to return.

If they were good you know it. I would hire someone back most likely if the situation came up and they were a valuable contributor.
I used to work with a guy many years ago, and we both got laid off. His career was clearly going nowhere at that company based on his promotion history and he'd been there for 10+ years. He was flatlined. He worked somewhere else for several years, and then somehow got hired back on at the first company. He then worked there again for several more years and I'm pretty sure he got laid off again.

I'm not going to ask, but I'm really curious about that decision to return. Was he not aware that his career had flatlined the first time? Did he think his prospects were better the second time around? Or did he just like the job enough that he didn't care about advancing his career? I don't begrudge him going back if he really liked the job, and at some point in one's career most of us stop looking upward and just want a job that we enjoy. So kudos to him if he figured that out.

But I dunno, I don't think I'd take the pride hit of walking back into that place the second time around.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 06:44 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Absolutely (depending on how the separation went).

In the highly skilled IT arena it happens all the time.
Yep, I'm on my third stent with my current company.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 06:47 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
Let's say the employee did a good job, knows what's expected, but left because they wanted to seek an alternative career that turned out to be a complete dud and gave them some perspective on things not always being greener on the other side.
Yes and they left again.
[Reply]
CapsLockKey 06:50 PM 11-16-2017
As long as they were a good employee previously and left on good terms, yes. Low risk hire as you know what your getting. If they leave again you at least aren't out the time and money it takes to train and orient the person to the business that you'd have with a new hire.
[Reply]
Otis Day 07:13 PM 11-16-2017
I have been in this position several times, and each time rehiring an employee that left did not work out. They had previously been good employees, but had left for better pay. When they return they have always left again within a year. Now I will not go down that path.

BTW - these are sales professionals in the tech industry.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:18 PM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by Otis Day:
I have been in this position several times, and each time rehiring an employee that left did not work out. They had previously been good employees, but had left for better pay. When they return they have always left again within a year. Now I will not go down that path.

BTW - these are sales professionals in the tech industry.
You have to nail their foot to the deck.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up