ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 20
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>-- Culver's is wildly underrated. Coastal bias?
carcosa 10:57 AM 11-14-2017
Can we discuss this? Culver's has perhaps the best fast food burger in the country, but I never hear it get the hype that other semi-regional chains like In-n-Out (west coast) and Shake Shack (east coast) do. They also have excellent onion rings, amazing cheese curds, proprietary root beer, and of course the frozen custard.

Look, In-n-Out burgers are great. Shake Shack burgers are fine, too. But ButterBurgers blow 'em both out of the water, if you ask me. Tastes fresh and feels good. I think this is another instance of the freaking lamestream media on the left coast and freaking big city fat cats in "Poo York Shitty" not giving a hardworking midwestern brand its due.

Please share your thoughts and any Culver's experiences you've had.

Thanks.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:57 PM 11-14-2017
Are there still Johnny Rocket's out there Dane? We have a couple left here in Atlanta - but used to be a dozen or maybe 15 - back in the nineties.

EDIT: we have 6 total
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:00 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dude, I already explained this.

I went to In-N-Out burger many times between 1993-2000, usually in Barstow on my way to Vegas, but there's also a location in Hollywood off of Sunset & La Brea.

I stopped eating there because the burgers were underwhelming and the fries were always undercooked and soggy.

Earlier this year, we stopped at In-N-Out on the way to Palm Springs for Spring Break. We had the same exact experience: Soggy fries, unflavorful burgers.

Tommy's, Astro and Fatburger blow away In-N-Out, IMO, and it isn't even close.
😆 I'm just messing with you dude IDGAF
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:01 PM 11-14-2017
BTW Del Taco fries are criminally underrated
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:03 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
we're down to one w/in 45 mins from here - it's about a half an hour away or so.
[Reply]
scho63 02:03 PM 11-14-2017
I had 2 Butterburgers at Culver's this summer for lunch. I was very impressed.

A list that puts McDonald's at #7 has to be called into questions.......
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:04 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Are there still Johnny Rocket's out there Dane? We have a couple left here in Atlanta - but used to be a dozen or maybe 15 - back in the nineties.
Yeah, unfortunately.

In late August, I took my kids to the Hollywood & Highland location for lunch because we needed to hit the Skechers store for new shoes for the school year. I wanted to hit Jinya Ramen but they wanted burgers and fries.

It was completely and utterly awful. The fries were dry, the burgers tasted "weird" and the manager took a picture of my kids, then tried to sell it to me.

Her: $20 dollars
Me: Nope
Her: $15 dollars

10 minutes later:

Her: $10 dollars
Her: $5 dollars

I asked for the check shortly thereafter, which was $42 dollars before tip, which is outrageous, especially given the quality of the food. The manager approached me, yet again:

Her: $3 Dollars
Her: $2 Dollars
Her: $1 dollar
Me: Nope. Goodbye. Never eating here again.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:05 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
And surprisingly, their burgers are good, too.

I had no idea until a few years ago, in Vegas, with a buddy who lived there at the time.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:06 PM 11-14-2017
Yeah, unfortunately.

In late August, I took my kids to the Hollywood & Highland location for lunch because we needed to hit the Skechers store for new shoes for the school year. I wanted to hit Jinya Ramen but they wanted burgers and fries.

It was completely and utterly awful. The fries were dry, the burgers tasted "weird" and the manager took a picture of my kids, then tried to sell it to me.

Her: $20 dollars
Her: $15 dollars

10 minutes later:

Her: $10 dollars
Her: $5 dollars

I asked for the check shortly thereafter, which was $42 dollars before tax, which is outrageous, especially given the quality of the food. The manager approached me, yet again:

Her: $3 Dollars
Her: $2 Dollars
Her: $1 dollar
Me: Nope. Goodbye. Never eating here again.
Weird. I haven't been there in yrs.

I DO kick myself for never trying FatBurger - when we had that Sydney Marcus Location. Those look really good.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:11 PM 11-14-2017
Weird. I haven't been there in yrs.
I remember eating at Johnny Rockets around 2000 or so and it wasn't bad. Overpriced for sure but not awful.

This was awful.

I DO kick myself for never trying FatBurger - when we had that Sydney Marcus Location. Those look really good.
Fatburger is really, really good but like many restaurants, it depends on the location. There's one in Studio City, not too far from my house and it's just "okay". There's one way over in East Hollywood, bordering on Silverlake, and for years it was excellent. Then, all of the sudden, it just wasn't good any more.

My wife stopped at Tommy's in Hollywood a few years ago, which I'd never tried before, and it was better than the best Fatburger I'd had. It's on the way home from my kid's school so we'll stop by there every 6-8 weeks.

It's awesome.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:17 PM 11-14-2017
I remember eating at Johnny Rockets around 2000 or so and it wasn't bad. Overpriced for sure but not awful.

This was awful.

Fatburger is really, really good but like many restaurants, it depends on the location. There's one in Studio City, not too far from my house and it's just "okay". There's one way over in East Hollywood, bordering on Silverlake, and for years it was excellent. Then, all of the sudden, it just wasn't good any more.

My wife stopped at Tommy's in Hollywood a few years ago, which I'd never tried before, and it was better than the best Fatburger I'd had. It's on the way home from my kid's school so we'll stop by there every 6-8 weeks.

It's awesome.

I do think I tried one of their Jr. Burgers or something way back in the early nineties at that location I'd mentioned - I don't remember it - it was just too long ago. FatBurger didn't make it here - not sure why.
[Reply]
Chieficus 02:24 PM 11-14-2017
Culver's is good. I prefer Freddy's though, but that's mostly b/c I like the crisp shoestring fries over crinkle cuts. Both have great burgers and custard.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:27 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Can we discuss this? Culver's has perhaps the best fast food burger in the country, but I never hear it get the hype that other semi-regional chains like In-n-Out (west coast) and Shake Shack (east coast) do.
I looked at Culver's location map. There are no locations on the West Coast nor the Northeast, so that may have something to do with it being rated lower in comparison to chains in those locations.

It's hard to rate something if you've never had it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:30 PM 11-14-2017
As for Shake Shack, there's a location less than a mile from my home that opened 2 years ago. The line was more than 2 blocks long when it opened.

I had it the first week and thought the burger was really, really good then had it a few months later and thought it was overly salty and bland.

Plus, at the time, they weren't offering chili fries.
[Reply]
TLO 02:35 PM 11-14-2017
I think I'm going to get Culvers for dinner tonight!! What should I order??

Do they have a mushroom and swiss burger?
[Reply]
TLO 02:35 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by Chieficus:
Culver's is good. I prefer Freddy's though, but that's mostly b/c I like the crisp shoestring fries over crinkle cuts. Both have great burgers and custard.
Freddy's is worth the trip for the fry sauce alone!
[Reply]
Page 8 of 20
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up