ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Boston Planeteers - Travel Advice
wazu 10:33 PM 10-03-2017
Taking a trip there in November. Will have a full weekend to hang out and see the town. Any key areas to target? I'm a big fan of Revolutionary War-era history, so Freedom Trail is on the list. Any thoughts on best way to do that are appreciated. Wanted to see Bunker Hill but all my googling so far brings up a monument. Probably want to see that, too, but thought there might actually be the battleground location somewhere to get a better feel for lay of the land.

One of my buddies who will be there was interested in touring Sam Adams brewery, so we're looking into that as possibility. Any can't-miss places to eat? Trying to figure out a good central area to find a hotel. And of course, want to find a good bar to watch the Chiefs game in on Sunday. Thanks for any help!
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:50 PM 10-03-2017
I wandered through there a couple of years ago. Yeah, Bunker Hill is pretty much just a monument. It's a big monument if that's important.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:06 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I wandered through there a couple of years ago. Yeah, Bunker Hill is pretty much just a monument. It's a big monument if that's important.
But it's right next to the USS Constitution, which is worth lingering to check out all the wonderful detail.

It's been a while since I 'did' Boston, but when I was there, there was a convenient parking lot so you could start at Bunker/Constitution, then embark on the Freedom Trail. A lot of it you don't have to spend a lot of time on, but it's a great sightseeing afternoon.

Probably the best advice is to read up ahead of time, so as you see landmarks along the walk their interplay is fresh in your mind.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:52 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by wazu:
Taking a trip there in November. Will have a full weekend to hang out and see the town. Any key areas to target? I'm a big fan of Revolutionary War-era history, so Freedom Trail is on the list. Any thoughts on best way to do that are appreciated. Wanted to see Bunker Hill but all my googling so far brings up a monument. Probably want to see that, too, but thought there might actually be the battleground location somewhere to get a better feel for lay of the land.

One of my buddies who will be there was interested in touring Sam Adams brewery, so we're looking into that as possibility. Any can't-miss places to eat? Trying to figure out a good central area to find a hotel. And of course, want to find a good bar to watch the Chiefs game in on Sunday. Thanks for any help!
I would start the Freedom Trail at Downtown Crossing, but you can start at any point on the Trail. The guided tours are done by people dressed in colonial garb. Downtown Crossing is a shopping district in Boston along Washington and Tremont streets. The USS Constitution is closed seasonally on certain days.

Before I moved here I lived on Bunker Hill Street. I used to have a Bunker Hill Day party because I owned a small parking lot. There is an audio visual re-enactment where the USS Constitution that's pretty good.

You have to eat at the famous Legal Seafood, Fanueil Hall Marketplace and when here, eat at Durgin-Park -- a centuries-old restaurant. You're not supposed to be too polite and nice to the waitresses. They won't be gentle with you either. It's a different experience. Also, the Blackstone tavern on Union street. I have a cousin who owns it.

Visit the Waterfront which is near Faneuil Hall and get tickets for the Whale Watch.

Classy Newbury Street with it's artist galleries and restaurants in Back Bay is really nice. Boston Common, Boston Garden with its Swan boat rides is another. The North End which you will enter when doing the Freedom Trail because Paul Revere's house is there.

If you went in April you could drive out to see the Battle of Lexington and Concord re-enacted, but you could still visit that in the suburb of Lexington if you rent a car.

I'll be back with more. I have to go.
[Reply]
seclark 06:55 AM 10-04-2017
i'm w/baby lee on the freedom trail.
sec
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:57 AM 10-04-2017
Oh and the Museum of Art has an awesome array of Impressionist art and Egyptian collection--in another part of the city.

You have to visit Harvard Square in Cambridge too. You can even walk into Harvard Yard and roam around. It's a quaint area.

Beacon Hill area is also very nice as are the brick brownstone homes that line the streets if you want to walk around there.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:02 AM 10-04-2017
I was stationed near Boston in the Navy and used to do a trade show in Boston for a week every June. I really kind of miss it, just like the annual week in Vegas.

To me, Boston is about the food. The seafood and Italian food is amazing. There is a whole section of town on the Northeast side (IIRc) that is full of little Italian restaurants but I forget the name. We would just walk until we found one that hit our fancy as most are converted old homes with small dining areas.

The amazing food offsets the fact that the people are pretty much rude as shit and if you drive you are in for an eye opening experience.

It is all about offensive driving there, don't dare use your turn signal or someone will try and prevent you from making the turn because they know what you are doing.

You can't leave a safe space between you and the car in front of you or it will get filled.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:05 AM 10-04-2017
Oh I forgot to tell you Durgin Park restaurant is old-fashioned Yankee food. I like their Indian Pudding.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:07 AM 10-04-2017
Another place, but outside the city is Plymouth Plantation in Plymouth Mass—definitely worth seeing. They have the Mayflower in the same town too. The PP is manned up with people dressed up as the first Puritans and they only talk as they did back then and only know history up to that time. It's very cool.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:09 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I was stationed near Boston in the Navy and used to do a trade show in Boston for a week every June. I really kind of miss it, just like the annual week in Vegas.

To me, Boston is about the food. The seafood and Italian food is amazing. There is a whole section of town on the Northeast side (IIRc) that is full of little Italian restaurants but I forget the name. We would just walk until we found one that hit our fancy as most are converted old homes with small dining areas.
The North End

Originally Posted by :
The amazing food offsets the fact that the people are pretty much rude as shit and if you drive you are in for an eye opening experience.

It is all about offensive driving there, don't dare use your turn signal or someone will try and prevent you from making the turn because they know what you are doing.

You can't leave a safe space between you and the car in front of you or it will get filled.

:-)

Bostonians— definitely not as polite as you MidWesterners. That's why our War for Independence started there. We're a feisty bunch. But I blame it mostly on the Irish.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:11 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:

You have to eat at the famous Legal Seafood,
We always eat at least one meal there for the "chowda" but the locals will tell you there is much better seafood.

I wish I could remember the name of the big one we used to eat at. It's where the locals go and is a real treat.

They have the old place decorated with fishing gear, lots of it.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:13 AM 10-04-2017
I don't think this is on the Freedom Trail. But the old docks on the waterfront has all been redone. It's called the Seaport District. I only saw it this past February working at a trade show. I couldn't believe the change—did NOT recognize it.

There once was a Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum down there in that are. I believe it is still there. I never did this one but may have when I was very young. Have a very vague recollection of it but am not sure it wasn't someplace else.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:14 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
We always eat at least one meal there for the "chowda" but the locals will tell you there is much better seafood.

I wish I could remember the name of the big one we used to eat at. It's where the locals go and is a real treat.

They have the old place decorated with fishing gear, lots of it.
I am technically a local. There's lots of good seafood but it's just that it's a landmark place. There are places on the waterfront where it's freshly caught but so much has been renovated, I don't know if all of them are still there.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:16 AM 10-04-2017
Any time for Cape Cod or Salem. Salem is very, very cool. Very nice and worth a drive north as is Marblehead and even Newburyport. Sailing towns. Gloucester too. Marblehead is more upscale though.

Salem is cool for a Halloween visit.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:17 AM 10-04-2017
Amnorix probably has more up-to-date information on restaurants.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up