ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Would you/Have you ever re-hired a former employee?
KCrockaholic 04:17 PM 11-16-2017
I'm curious to hear from people who've been in this circumstance and had to make a decision on bringing back an old employee.

What would make you agree for them to return vs what would be a deal breaker?

For those who make managerial decisions or own a company, what were the results of bringing back that employee if you chose to do so.

Boring thread, I know, but I'm looking for ideas.
[Reply]
KranzDictum 06:10 PM 11-17-2017
Yes there are a couple people who gave me notice that I would rehire or work with, especially the kid I mentored who is now a tech of Microsoft, though he isn't a kid anymore. This is why it is important to stay in touch with people after they leave.

Can't fault someone for wanting to make more money or gain experience.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:16 PM 11-17-2017
Funny you made this thread, I just re-hired a former employee for the first time a few weeks ago. Dumbest managerial mistake Ive made so far. He's already fired, he just doesn't know it yet.

He was terminated 6 years ago (before my time) due to two accidents in a company vehicle in less than a year. One was his fault, one fault was inconclusive. He was a good employee though from what Ive been told. Now he's just a screw-up, constantly messing up and bitching. Tired of his shit and as soon as I have another guy trained he's gone.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 06:33 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Funny you made this thread, I just re-hired a former employee for the first time a few weeks ago. Dumbest managerial mistake Ive made so far. He's already fired, he just doesn't know it yet.

He was terminated 6 years ago due to two accidents in a company vehicle in less than a year. One was his fault, one fault was inconclusive. He was a good employee though. Now he's just a screw-up, constantly messing up and bitching. Tired of his shit and as soon as I have another guy trained he's gone.
He was only terminated due to 2 accidents within 6 years? I'm sure there had to have been other things that built up over time also?

But it sounds like the guy has issues besides that. He wanted to return, knew what to expect, yet still goes around bitching and messing up. That's pretty strange.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:39 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
He was only terminated due to 2 accidents within 6 years? I'm sure there had to have been other things that built up over time also?

But it sounds like the guy has issues besides that. He wanted to return, knew what to expect, yet still goes around bitching and messing up. That's pretty strange.
No, he was terminated when he worked there 6 years ago. He was only there a year and had two accidents. Company policy back then apparently. And yeah, everything with him is bullshit. "This is bullshit." "That's some bullshit." Any and everything he's asked to do that's a little more than he expected. He's done.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 06:41 PM 11-17-2017
I received some pushback from an indirect manager who is not wanting this guy to return because he felt that during his 2 weeks notice period he wasn't giving enough effort and made mistakes.

He was still a very good worker for 3 years before he left. I think he just kind of mailed it in and didn't have a good mindset when he knew he was leaving over a year ago.

It's not his department to decide upon, but he's also been in the business for over 20 years.

Personally I don't think 2 weeks defines a person.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 06:41 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
No, he was terminated when he worked there 6 years ago. He was only there a year and had two accidents. Company policy back then apparently.
Gotcha. I misunderstood you.
[Reply]
splatbass 02:26 AM 11-18-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Think of it this way:

Would you rather hire this person again with the possibility that they might leave again soon, or would you rather go through a normal hiring process to find someone else to fill the role?
I just hired someone back a couple of months ago that left on good terms. The fact that there was no training necessary was part of the decision, along with the fact that she gets along well with everyone and does good work. I haven't regretted it. Finding someone new is full of pitfalls that were avoided by hiring a known quantity.

The guy before her that I hired met all of the qualifications and seemed perfect for the job. He turned out to be useless. He didn't do much of anything for the two months he worked for us, and never seemed to be at his desk when I needed him. He was headed toward getting fired when he quit because he didn't want to take the required polygraph. Dodged a bullet there.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:49 AM 11-18-2017
Originally Posted by splatbass:
I just hired someone back a couple of months ago that left on good terms. The fact that there was no training necessary was part of the decision, along with the fact that she gets along well with everyone and does good work. I haven't regretted it. Finding someone new is full of pitfalls that were avoided by hiring a known quantity.

The guy before her that I hired met all of the qualifications and seemed perfect for the job. He turned out to be useless. He didn't do much of anything for the two months he worked for us, and never seemed to be at his desk when I needed him. He was headed toward getting fired when he quit because he didn't want to take the required polygraph. Dodged a bullet there.
Required polygraph? Yeah, I'd walk on you too.
[Reply]
MTG#10 12:39 PM 11-18-2017
Originally Posted by kccrow:
What are you hiding
[Reply]
Stewie 12:42 PM 11-18-2017
Originally Posted by oldman:
There's a certain large company in the KC metro that does it all the time. Hire, lay off, oops, we made a mistake, rehire through a contracting company, offer job, lay off, oops--rinse and repeat. I know of at least 4 people there that have been a full time employee as many as 3 times and a contractor in between.
Let me guess? Sprint? They've done that shit for years

or

Cerner? I know certain parts of that company chew employees up and spit them out only to realize they messed up. Most are glad they left and don't go back.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:46 PM 11-18-2017
No. I have not. But I've been re-hired after leaving and have always been told when giving notice, that I could come back anytime.
[Reply]
splatbass 01:20 PM 11-18-2017
Originally Posted by kccrow:

Government contract, not my requirement. I have to take them too every five years. And he knew it was required when he accepted the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up