ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>Danny Carey > Neil Peart. Fight Me...
Fish 12:38 AM 06-20-2020

[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:46 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Sorry, but these threads and "arguments" are flat out dumb.

Yes, Danny Carey is a very, very good technical drummer that completely fits his band. Tool has an identifiable sound, which has been created mainly by Maynard and Danny Carey (the other guys are nice players and all but they're hardly standouts).

That said, Danny Carey's drum style is very limited. He's not a Pocket player and he doesn't have a groove or backbeat. He's not the type of guy that's playing on session after session, nor are producers anywhere hiring studio drummers to "Play like Danny Carey".

Ringo, on the other hand, is not only a phenomenal drummer but a phenomenal musician and songwriter. His pocket, backbeat and especially, his sound, is legendary. I can't tell you guys how many multi-platinum and Grammy-winning Producers that constantly look for guys that can "Play like Ringo". Ask any big time professional studio/session/touring drummer (including Danny) and they'll all tell you that Ringo is still a ****ing badass.

Ringo played on about 200 Beatles songs, most of which, hit. You guys can argue chops all day long but at the end of the day, the guy that plays for the song, wins.

And Ringo definitely won.
Correct.

Would rather have Ringo in my band than Danny Carey.

Ringo is the GOAT.

Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Hey man, they can’t all be Mickey Avalon.
Amen.
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Thanks man, didn't plan on it but Tool threads will always bring me out from under my rock.

Seriously though, to say Ringo "wins" because he's recorded more songs is silly. And just because none of Danny's bands fit that style doesn't mean he couldn't carry a groove/backbeat if he wanted to. I've read somewhere he's an excellent jazz drummer, that's how he was originally trained but too lazy to look it up.

I'd bet my house Danny could listen to any Beatles song once and perform an exact replica of Ringo's elementary beats. Hell, I can play damn near every Beatles song and I only have 4 years of percussion in high school. Ringo probably couldn't even count some of Danny's polyrhythms.
If you could play like Ringo, you'd be a highly sought after session musician.

The solo in "The End", put it to a metronome and you'll find it's in perfect time.

You ever heard "Something"? His playing on the bridge? So sublime. "Rain", "A Day In The Life", "Strawberry Fields Forever"...

Even the stuff that sounds "simple" isn't really that simple when Ringo plays it.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:57 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by hometeam:
People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because nobody can do the shit he does. They can try to copy specific licks, but they cant compose it in the way that only he does.

That's why hes the GOAT, and there are thousands of regular jack offs that can play like Ringo.
People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because most people write songs and don't need people to be flying all over the kit like Carey.

Tool only has one song : Maynard sings operatically over the slow atmospheric part, then they pick up speed, Danny Carey plays double bass and goes nuts over the kit, then it explodes into weird noises.

The fact that they don't have actual songs but one formula that is "their sound" means that Danny Carey HAS to play the way he does - otherwise, it isn't 'Tool music'.
[Reply]
2bikemike 08:12 AM 06-24-2020
Not a fan of Tool, however watching the OP's video I didn't see anything that blew me away.

I am a fan of Rush and probably have some bias towards NP. I have been blown away by some of NP's drumming.

I agree that there are a number of different styles and trying to pick the GOAT is would be a monumental task.

My son is a pretty decent drummer, and I have a lot of respect for all drummers. What they do with their hands a feet at different tempos is pretty amazing to this extremely rhythmically challenged observer.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:17 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
People aren't hiring guys to play like Carey because most people write songs and don't need people to be flying all over the kit like Carey.

Tool only has one song : Maynard sings operatically over the slow atmospheric part, then they pick up speed, Danny Carey plays double bass and goes nuts over the kit, then it explodes into weird noises.

The fact that they don't have actual songs but one formula that is "their sound" means that Danny Carey HAS to play the way he does - otherwise, it isn't 'Tool music'.
I just . . . can't believe how ill-informed this take is. I take it you've never really listened to the band - maybe a few of the hits on the radio? Because if you've ever listened to Tool stuff from Lataralus-on, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. Double bass? Did you get that from the short moment in Pneuma from the OP?

Damn dude. I know how silly it is to debate "best" with such a subjective concept like art, but . . . your take is so far removed from reality. Idk.
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:18 AM 06-24-2020
Arguing about who is “better”, when both Rings and Danny have had massive success with their respective bands, is a silly waste of time.
You just did that, though. You said "Ringo won" in your post previous to this one. What am I missing? :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Fish 10:18 AM 06-24-2020

That said, Danny Carey's drum style is very limited. He's not a Pocket player and he doesn't have a groove or backbeat. He's not the type of guy that's playing on session after session, nor are producers anywhere hiring studio drummers to "Play like Danny Carey".
:-)
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:20 AM 06-24-2020
Good god, no.

Again, Danny fits Tool perfectly, just like Neil Pearl fit Rush perfectly.

And while both of them are Masters of their own styles, they’re not masters of every style.

Arguing about who is “better”, when both Rings and Danny have had massive success with their respective bands, is a silly waste of time.

Neither band would be even remotely the same had any other drummer been a member.
This is spot on. People often confuse their own limits (opinions/desires/preferences) for the limits of the world.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:26 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I just . . . can't believe how ill-informed this take is. I take it you've never really listened to the band - maybe a few of the hits on the radio? Because if you've ever listened to Tool stuff from Lataralus-on, you're not even remotely in the ballpark. Double bass? Did you get that from the short moment in Pneuma from the OP?

Damn dude. I know how silly it is to debate "best" with such a subjective concept like art, but . . . your take is so far removed from reality. Idk.
I've seen Tool live at Ozzfest, I've heard all the albums except for the newest one (no interest), there's just not much meat on them bones. For that type of music, I can get what Tool offers from bands I like much better - stuff like King Crimson, Smashing Pumpkins, Porcupine Tree, et al

It's okay if you like them, it was just never my thing. Just like I never liked Korn all that much, or Limp Bizkit. Lots of people loved them. Never was a Creed fan. Same with Godsmack and Nickelback. Never was my thing.

For my money, Jimmy Chamberlain is probably my favorite drummer of "that style", that busy, over the top prog-rock style of playing.

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, but I'm a "song" guy. I really like great songs. After Opiate and Undertow, it seems like Tool quit writing songs and just do "Tool sounds". Which is cool, if you're a fan. I'm not.
[Reply]
MTG#10 11:46 AM 06-24-2020
I will concede one thing, Danny isn't without a doubt the greatest drummer who ever lived...nobody can unequivocally claim that title. But to even put Ringo in the same conversation is downright laughable.
[Reply]
MTG#10 12:18 PM 06-24-2020

The solo in "The End", put it to a metronome and you'll find it's in perfect time.
Its not hard to keep a solo in perfect time for an experienced drummer, it's expected and not something to brag about. If you want to hear a perfect example listen to Chocolate Chip Trip and come back to me. While not the best drum solo I've ever heard, its in perfect time and far beyond Ringo's capabilities.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:32 PM 06-24-2020
Its not hard to keep a solo in perfect time for an experienced drummer, it's expected and not something to brag about. If you want to hear a perfect example listen to Chocalte Chip Trip and come back to me. While not the best drum solo I've ever heard, its in perfect time and far beyond Ringo's capabilities.
Bed hair don't care, brah. Tool is literally one of the most overrated bands ever.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:11 PM 06-24-2020
Bed hair don't care, brah. Tool is literally one of the most overrated bands ever.

Tapout literally acknowledged.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:48 PM 06-24-2020

Tapout literally acknowledged.
Oh, whatever.

Every Tool song sounds the same.

And Tool fans SUCK.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:17 AM 06-25-2020
Oh, whatever.

Every Tool song sounds the same.

And Tool fans SUCK.
Past Ænema, yeah, it sounds pretty much the same.
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:04 AM 06-25-2020
I don't know how someone can listen to Right in Two and Rosetta Stoned and hear the same thing. What?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up