ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Media Center>New Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound"
InChiefsHeaven 08:01 AM 03-10-2020

This looks good...Comes out in June 2020.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:52 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
Unfortunately it’s about 3x the length.
Great movie, though.
[Reply]
candyman 04:02 PM 07-12-2020
Tom Hanks is a pedo
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:06 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
It's been many years since I've seen Das Boot. Seems like it would be a nice companion movie to Greyhound. Perhaps I'll watch it tonight.
I'm stoked about Greyhound now but my all time favorite submarine movie is The Hunt For Red October. I just can't turn that movie off, even if I start watching it at 10pm.

If Greyhound is even close to Red October in terms of film making and story, I'll probably find it difficult to turn off as well.
[Reply]
Miles 06:21 PM 07-12-2020
It's been many years since I've seen Das Boot. Seems like it would be a nice companion movie to Greyhound. Perhaps I'll watch it tonight.
The long ass directors cut is particularly outstanding and one of my favorites.

There was also a recent series for German TV that’s on Hulu. It’s a mixed bag with some unnecessary plot lines on shore but everything sub related was pretty good stuff.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:27 PM 07-12-2020
crimson tide is good as well.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:30 PM 07-12-2020
Does Tom Hanks rape any kids in it?
[Reply]
Miles 06:37 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
A History channel website says they could be under water for about 2 hours. That blows my mind. I honestly thought they were roaming around for about as long as their food/ammunition supplies could last.
That was more WWI era when the battery technology was less advanced. WWII era was more like a day submerged but they were slow when underwater. I also seem to recall reading something about surface firing of torpedoes being more accurate.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:00 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
crimson tide is good as well.
Absolutely. A favorite of mine.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:48 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Miles:
That was more WWI era when the battery technology was less advanced. WWII era was more like a day submerged but they were slow when underwater. I also seem to recall reading something about surface firing of torpedoes being more accurate.
That’s not what Hanks said in the Hardcore History Adendum podcast.
[Reply]
Jenson71 07:54 PM 07-12-2020

Sorry @USArmy, @tomhanks is finally one of ours now.

Out now, head to sea 🌊 #GreyhoundMovie on @AppleTV. pic.twitter.com/0mXBwDPfNF

— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) July 10, 2020

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:12 PM 07-12-2020
This is the last movie we'll ever see Tom Hanks in.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:21 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
This is the last movie we'll ever see Tom Hanks in.
Why do you say that?
[Reply]
Frazod 09:24 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm stoked about Greyhound now but my all time favorite submarine movie is The Hunt For Red October. I just can't turn that movie off, even if I start watching it at 10pm.

If Greyhound is even close to Red October in terms of film making and story, I'll probably find it difficult to turn off as well.
Agreed about Red October - hell, I watched most of it for 1,000th time just yesterday. It's one of those movies like Die Hard or Aliens, that I'll watch if it's on no matter how many times I've seen it (I guess I should add Silverado to that list, since I just watched it again this evening). Also, Red October came out while I was still in the Navy, and the portrayal of Navy ships and personnel is spot on for the time period. Back then that was generally not the case.

Greyhound is closer to the most recent Midway than Red October, but it's still quite enjoyable. I would have had no problem paying theater money to see it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:35 PM 07-12-2020
Agreed about Red October - hell, I watched most of it for 1,000th time just yesterday. It's one of those movies like Die Hard or Aliens, that I'll watch if it's on no matter how many times I've seen it (I guess I should add Silverado to that list, since I just watched it again this evening). Also, Red October came out while I was still in the Navy, and the portrayal of Navy ships and personnel is spot on for the time period. Back then that was generally not the case.

Greyhound is closer to the most recent Midway than Red October, but it's still quite enjoyable. I would have had no problem paying theater money to see it.
Awesome!

I watched Midway last weekend and my first reaction was that of utter horror as I saw the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I’ve seen every war movie ever made and I’m not sure if D Day, as depicted in Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan, was any more horrific than watching those men die horrible deaths. I know it’s a movie and they’re actors and all, but just seeing those men, those brave Americans, die with absolutely no chance of not only fighting back, but with no option of surviving.

And why in the world is the name Dick Best not celebrated more in American history? The guy singlehandedly took out not one, but two of the Japanese navy’s largest ships, yet there’s never a word about the guy.

The actor that portrayed him was excellent.
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:40 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Why do you say that?
See the DC thread - it's all the rage.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up