ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2065 of 3903
« First < 1065156519652015205520612062206320642065 206620672068206920752115216525653065 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 08:36 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It increases up to April 20th, begins decreasing, restrictions are lifted while cases have decreased for a few days (but not the 14 recommended by the CDC) and then begins a slow ascent again.
The 14 day average is about the same as it was a few days before the re-opening. And as I asked are they testing more?

This is my problem with these arguments, Hamas. I am not saying you are making it per say but people want more testing which we know will increase the number of cases. Then when we get the expected increase people wanna go SEE! SEE!

So I have to point out that the average is relatively flat at the moment and if GA is testing more wouldn't you expect an increase in cases regardless?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:38 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
No. They open in Kansas this Monday. Yet bars and taverns can't. They were all supposed to open and she changed it today.
Oh you mean this coming Monday. Yeah, I don't get the bars thing really either but then again I have thrown my hands up with all this shit. Some of this seems to be a pissing contest between states (see CA and Los Angeles) on who will be the one to say they "did it right" and some seems to be temper tantrum based like Michigan.

I say we go back to the original metric of are people flooding our hospitals or not? And right now the answer is not.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:40 PM 05-14-2020
Regarding your Georgia claim:

That's the actual rolling average.

"Georgia reopened April 24 with Phase One. Since reopening, the state has seen a steady increase in cases."
:-) Are you even looking at the graph you posted? It is clearly NOT showing an increase.

Since you apparently can’t comprehend basic graphical evidence, I’ll provide you with the description to the graph from the website you got this from...

Link: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobil...b-62665d3fb257

Originally Posted by :
The above graph shows the new daily cases in Georgia since March 21 until today.
The 14-day moving average started its downward trend around the third week of april, right before Phase One reopening began, marked by the red bar. The daily new cases have leveled off over the past two weeks, as seen in orange.

[Reply]
petegz28 08:41 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
:-) Are you even looking at the graph you posted? It is clearly NOT showing an increase.

Since you apparently can’t comprehend basic graphical evidence, I’ll provide you with the description to the graph from the website you got this from...

It is not showing an increase but it is leaning towards increasing if you want to nit-pick. That being said the question is why? Are they testing more and showing more cases because of that? Or are you truly getting more cases because you re-opened?

The chart is a poor argument for either.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:43 PM 05-14-2020

FTR, testing had started to increase significantly in GA about 2 days before the re-opening and is still on it's strongest upward trajectory.

So it can easily be assumed that the number of increased cases is largely due to increased testing.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:45 PM 05-14-2020
Also "confirmed infections" between April 23rd (re-opening) and May 10th in GA are actually down by almost 50.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:53 PM 05-14-2020
Two weeks... i.e. the standard time-frame for when people are contagious and/or potentially become symptomatic if infected... since Georgia re-opened and every metric... rate of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths have trended downwards.

You seem intent on being irrationally negative without the basis of facts or consistent logic.
Are you required to wear a mask at the gas station where you work?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:54 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Are you required to wear a mask at the gas station where you work?
Huffing gas fumes kills the virus....true story
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:35 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
The 14 day average is about the same as it was a few days before the re-opening. And as I asked are they testing more?

This is my problem with these arguments, Hamas. I am not saying you are making it per say but people want more testing which we know will increase the number of cases. Then when we get the expected increase people wanna go SEE! SEE!

So I have to point out that the average is relatively flat at the moment and if GA is testing more wouldn't you expect an increase in cases regardless?
Thought experiment: I give you a pill. You take it with some water. Are you absorbing the drug or getting rid of it? You're actually doing both at the same time, but the rate of absorption compared to the rate of elimination affects the amount of drug in your blood.

If you are absorbing it faster than your are eliminating it, the levels go up. If you've taken the drug for a while and I start giving you a smaller dose, even though you're absorbing the drug, your levels will go down because you're eliminating more than you're absorbing.

The population is doing the same thing.

Let's go back to our old friend R0 and let's assume that the virus goes away after 14 days and people only transmit the virus over five days.

Say I have a virus with 10,000 active cases and I institute a lockdown. It gets the R0 to 0.8. After five days, those 10,000 people infect 8,000 more and those 8,000 infect 6400 more, and those 6400 infect 5120 more and those 5120 infect 4096 more.

Over 20 days, 23616 people have caught the virus who didn't have it before for a total of 33,616 cases.

Is the epidemic getting better or worse? It looks like it's getting worse on the surface because the caseload is higher, but it's actually dying out. I only have 15,616 active cases and in another five days I'll have 3277 more, but 6400 will have recovered.

Day 25: Active cases: 18,893-6400=12,493

Now, let's say that I break the lockdown on that day and the R0 increases to 1.2

After 5 days how many active cases do I have?

Day 30: Active cases 12,493-5120+3932=11,305

I have fewer active cases on Day 30, so my epidemic is getting better right?

It's not.

What I've done with the lockdown is decrease my R0, and I've also decreased the number of infectious people, but by reopening I've increased R0 and increased infections, but the increase is being hidden by the decrease from the previous cases who are getting better, because it decreases the pool of people who can infect others, but only for a while.

After five iterations of an R0 of 0.8:

10,000 people infect 8,000 who infect 6400 who infect 5120 who infect 4096

After five iterations of R0 of 1.2

4096 infect 4915 who infect 5898 who infect 7077 who infect 8493

Now, if I look at it after two iterations, which is worse?

On the surface the R0 of 0.8, right? 6400 new infections compared to 5898.

But that's not the case.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:20 AM 05-15-2020
Really interesting article published in Science about the epidemic in France

Key points:

1) The lockdown reduced the R0 from 2.9 to 0.67
2) IFR was 0.7%, increasing with age as one might expect
3) 3.6% of cases were hospitalized and of those approximately 20% die
4) They estimate 4.4% of the population is infected, which is insufficient to prevent a second wave

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc3517

"Assuming a basic reproductive number of R0 = 3.0, it would require around 65% of the population to be immune for the epidemic to be controlled by immunity alone. Our results therefore strongly suggest that, without a vaccine, herd immunity on its own will be insufficient to avoid a second wave at the end of the lockdown. Efficient control measures need to be maintained beyond the 11 May."

"Our model can help inform the ongoing and future response to COVID-19. National ICU daily admissions have gone from 700 at the end of March to 66 on 7 May. Hospital admissions have declined from 3600 to 357 over the same time period"

That's why countries did what they did.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:39 AM 05-15-2020
Looks like Texas has kicked ass with the reopening. Great job!
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:46 AM 05-15-2020
Huffing gas fumes kills the virus....true story
You should do it then
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 04:43 AM 05-15-2020
Really interesting article published in Science about the epidemic in France

Key points:

1) The lockdown reduced the R0 from 2.9 to 0.67
2) IFR was 0.7%, increasing with age as one might expect
3) 3.6% of cases were hospitalized and of those approximately 20% die
4) They estimate 4.4% of the population is infected, which is insufficient to prevent a second wave

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc3517

"Assuming a basic reproductive number of R0 = 3.0, it would require around 65% of the population to be immune for the epidemic to be controlled by immunity alone. Our results therefore strongly suggest that, without a vaccine, herd immunity on its own will be insufficient to avoid a second wave at the end of the lockdown. Efficient control measures need to be maintained beyond the 11 May."

"Our model can help inform the ongoing and future response to COVID-19. National ICU daily admissions have gone from 700 at the end of March to 66 on 7 May. Hospital admissions have declined from 3600 to 357 over the same time period"

That's why countries did what they did.
Are you seriously this dense or just intentionally myopic in your thought process?

Yes when you impose draconian social distancing measures, shutting down society and putting people under virtual house arrest you are going to slow the spread of a contagious respiratory disease.

If you ban all driving you can eliminate all car accident deaths as well.

Is it worth destroying livelihoods to achieve these goals?

Most rational people would say no.

Even with the reduced spread of the virus from the lockdown measures, that still did not prevent COVID-19 from getting into nursing homes. Also 66% of new hospitalizations from COVID-19 in New York last week were people who were social distancing at home.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 04:53 AM 05-15-2020
It is not showing an increase but it is leaning towards increasing if you want to nit-pick. That being said the question is why? Are they testing more and showing more cases because of that? Or are you truly getting more cases because you re-opened?

The chart is a poor argument for either.
Directly from the source... the Georgia Department of Public Health... the average daily increase in new cases has gone down.

Link: https://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...6-ab32a15a1531

Originally Posted by :
There have been 34,002 cases confirmed in Georgia, with the state's earliest reported case on Feb. 1. Over the last 14 days, the average daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 654.14. Over the previous 14-day period, the average daily increase in newly confirmed cases was 689.07.

[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 05:20 AM 05-15-2020
There are penises in my garden. With raccoons attached to them.
[Reply]
Page 2065 of 3903
« First < 1065156519652015205520612062206320642065 206620672068206920752115216525653065 > Last »
Up