ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>|| Tell me about your kitchen knives ||
SuperChief 01:47 PM 08-22-2019
I'm thinking about getting a new set, and I have no idea where to begin. What is best? What do you work with? What should I stay away from? Halp, plz.

Thanks!
[Reply]
loochy 05:52 PM 08-23-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
About 7-8 years ago my Wife says "I'd like a nice set of knives for the kitchen" so I bought a set of Wusthof knives. Great knives from Germany. Today, they are still going strong and look like the day they were purchased. We keep them sharpened and they are like razor blades. Yep - they were expensive, but well worth it.

The same can be said for my moderately cheap costco knives (except the expensive part)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:39 AM 08-31-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Worst thing they've ever done for their reputation is have stupid High School kids selling them door to door.

That's a solid knife and most people think they're a joke because of how they're marketed. My 2 Cutco's are my most used knives.

I also have a Misen chef's knife that I like. I don't think the steel is quite as durable as they claim, but it's on par with any $80-100 knife. It's just not this crazy advanced space-aged kind of shit that never needs sharpening. The advantage of the Misen is that the blade angle is a little steeper so it seems to slide better. The disadvantage is that I think it's a little 'grabby' on the cutting board so it doesn't rock chop as well as some. It's a good knife but maybe not the fastest. An added advantage is they have free lifetime sharpening so if it's your #2 knife, that's perfect. You'll always have a sharp blade handy if you send it off to get sharpened/returned.

I have a large Victorinox slicing knife and if you actually need it, it's really the only thing that will do the job. Excellent knife but of very limited application.

If you're getting knives my recommendation would be to 'size up'. Most of the smaller knives in your block will get very little use and as a general rule you always want to use the LARGEST knife that will do the job you're asking. They're just more stable and safer than trying to use a smaller one. They're like screwdrivers in that way - if a better head and longer handle fits the screw, use it. Always size up.

So don't go getting that stupid 'petite' french chef knife thinking the smaller blade makes for more precise work - it really doesn't and that knife is generally worthless. If you have that one and a full size, within a month you'll be reaching for the full size every time. Stick with bigger more often than not; they feel better in your hand, they require less pressure and the extra length allows for more graduated angles that rock better, etc... They just work better.
Did you get the Misen as the Kickstarter? I got two from it. They're OK. They're the third knives I reach for after my Tojiro and Victorinox.
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:22 PM 02-25-2020
Update: I missed the Ambrosi Bros. Wusthof sale in September, so I went back to the drawing board. After some research, I decided to get one chef's knife now and hopefully a block of knives this next September. I ended up going to Ambrosi and getting the Wusthof Classic Ikon 6" - it's been such a blessing thus far. So sharp!
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:52 PM 02-25-2020
Just hone them after you wash the and they’ll be sharp for a hell of a long time.
[Reply]
Holladay 06:53 PM 02-25-2020
Don't put them in the dishwasher!

I have a complete set of Wustof knives that I have had for +15 years. I sharpen them ~ 1-2 x per year with a :-) choice sharpener.

All of the knives that have been mentioned, I believe are worthy. Price has a point. Choose a set and build upon it. If you can get a good deal on any of these, that would be the starting place. I think all are full tang blades.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:23 PM 02-25-2020
Geez people it is just some damn cutlery, you know kitchen knives.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:38 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Don't put them in the dishwasher!

I have a complete set of Wustof knives that I have had for +15 years. I sharpen them ~ 1-2 x per year with a :-) choice sharpener.

All of the knives that have been mentioned, I believe are worthy. Price has a point. Choose a set and build upon it. If you can get a good deal on any of these, that would be the starting place. I think all are full tang blades.
I rarely sharpen them, but I hone them after every wash (try to sometimes the wife doesn't play along if she does the dishes).
[Reply]
SuperChief 09:42 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Just hone them after you wash the and they’ll be sharp for a hell of a long time.
Good advice. Thanks!
[Reply]
Otter 09:46 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Are you looking to cut vegetables or human flesh?
I'm actually dipping my toe into this market as well. Kitchen knives and a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet.

While my purchase of the kitchen knives will be based upon conventional home cooking I'm not opposed to taking into account their ability to cut human flesh should the zombie apocalypse occur.

I'm not willing to go extravagant but an extra $10 to $20 dollars wouldn't be unreasonable.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:51 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Geez people it is just some damn cutlery, you know kitchen knives.
Sounds like something a guy using an oversized butter knife to cut up his vegetables would say.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:58 AM 02-26-2020
My wife bought me a carving knife for Christmas, and I liked the finish and feel of the brand so much I bought another chef's knife from them. I also did some research and bought ATK's recommended hand sharpener. Both are kick-ass so far and comparatively cheap.

Like Buehler has said repeatedly, hone that sucker and you'll be happy.

Knife:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sharpener:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:03 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Sounds like something a guy using an oversized butter knife to cut up his vegetables would say.
No but I sure don't see the need for a $400 to a $1000 set of knives.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
notorious 11:13 AM 02-26-2020
I used a friend’s knife at the lake and it cut unbelievably clean.

Asked him where he bought it, he said it was a cheap generic knife. He uses an electric sharpener to sharpen it often. Surprised me.

I did the same thing and I’ve been very happy. I was very close to dropping some major $$$$ too.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:22 AM 02-26-2020
If you are looking at Wusthof knives, be advised that there are different "levels" of their knives. If you can, go the extra bucks and get the Wusthof Classic. Much better steel and built to last a lifetime.

Wusthof Classic Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Classic Ikon Creme Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Ikon (Blackwood) Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Epicure Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Grand Prix II Chef Knife. ...
Wusthof Xline Chef Knife
[Reply]
SuperChief 12:21 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
If you are looking at Wusthof knives, be advised that there are different "levels" of their knives. If you can, go the extra bucks and get the Wusthof Classic. Much better steel and built to last a lifetime.
Based on my research, you're absolutely right. I looked long and hard at Wusthof Gourmet series, but the difference between stamped and forged metal was enough for me to pull the trigger on the Classic Ikon. I want to be able to pass these knives on down the road.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up