ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN: Who in NFL history would you draft No. 1 overall
Tribal Warfare 10:33 PM 06-26-2020

[Reply]
Rain Man 05:54 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by A8bil:
Too many empty stat choices with a lot of these picks (i.e., Marino).

Set Mahomes aside because the hype around him is off the charts (and deservedly so), but once you get past him, there are really only two choices in my mind. Montana -- a winner with ice in his veins. If any defensive player deserved to be chosen, the only real choice is LT. I've watched the NFL since the late 1960s, and the guy was just so dominant at arguably the most important position on defense. I was a huge fan of Ronnie Lott, who came into the league at the same time as LT, but even the most die hard 49er fans had to concede LT was the more impactful player.
He got no ring, but I stand by Marino as an ultra-high choice. I don't think anyone can find a flaw in his game that cost him a Super Bowl. I think he's the closest thing the NFL has ever had to Mahomes.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:54 PM 06-29-2020
Now if it were GOAT defensive player my 1A pick would be Reggie White
[Reply]
Bowser 07:49 PM 06-29-2020
NOT Cam Newton
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:11 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Now if it were GOAT defensive player my 1A pick would be Reggie White
We are in full agreement.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:12 PM 06-29-2020
1: Manning (sorry - too much track record)
2: Mahomes
3: Brees (best pure thrower of all time)
4: Brady
5: Aaron Rodgers
6: Steve Young
7: Joe Montana
8: Fran Tarkenton
9: Dan Marino
10: John Elway
11: Brett Favre
12: Jerry Rice
13: Anthony Munoz
14: Bart Starr
15: Deion Sanders
16: Len Dawson
17: Johnny Unitas
18: Walter Payton
19: Jim Brown
20: Randy Moss
21: Dan Foutes
22: Walter Jones
23: Barry Sanders
24: Reggie White
25: Marshall Faulk
26: Larry Allen
27: Bruce Smith
28: Lawrence Taylor
29: Sammy Baugh
30: Otto Graham
31: Ben Roethlisberger
32: Emmitt Smith

This list sucks, I'm sure. There are guys like Bruce Matthews that really needs to be on here and guys like Brown and Smith that I know are too low but that's just the way the league is now. Reggie being this low is brutal but I just can't get a defensive player higher than that. I had to put Deion in front of him given the present style of game.

EDIT: Looking at some other lists - I recognize that I'm overrating QBs but if you figure this is going to be a snake draft and I'm drafting in the top 15, I HAVE to come away with a quarterback because I'm gonna have a really hard time getting one at the back of the return in the 2nd round. If I'm trying to win an 'all-timers' game and I have to roll with Phillip Rivers, its gonna be damn tough when I'm butting heads w/ some of these elites. Maybe a Rivers/Ryan sort of thing can keep me hanging around, but I'd rather overdraft that QB a little bit.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:23 PM 06-29-2020
I don't know how LT wouldn't be the first defensive player off the board. Great pass rusher and run defender and psychotic enough to truly put fear into the opposite QB.

Sure, the coke issues would probably be a problem in todays NFL...
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:50 PM 06-29-2020
It's hard to overrate quarterbacks in something like this.

If I was to guess who would be starting on the 32 teams, I'd rank them like this.

Tier 1
1 Patrick Mahomes II
2 Otto Graham
3 Peyton Manning
4 Joe Montana
5 Sammy Baugh
6 Dan Marino
7 Johnny Unitas
8 Brett Favre

Tier 2
9 Fran Tarkenton
10 Roger Staubach
11 Drew Brees
12 Aaron Rodgers
13 Warren Moon
14 Kurt Warner
15 Tom Brady (discount for cheating)
16 Len Dawson
17 Steve Young
18 Ben Roethlisberger

Tier 3
19 Joe Namath
20 Sonny Jurgensen
21 Randall Cunningham
22 Dan Fouts
23 Y.A. Tittle
24 Terry Bradshaw
25 Ken Anderson
26 Norm Van Brocklin
27 Bob Waterfield
28 Jim Kelly
29 Bobby Layne
30 Donovan McNabb
31 Bart Starr
32 Sid Luckmann
[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 01:14 AM 06-30-2020
God, obviously.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:22 AM 06-30-2020
OP updated
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:11 AM 06-30-2020
Too avoid being obvious I’ll forego Mahomes and take Montana
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:03 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
It might be fun, but I'm not sure I see the endgame. Everyone would have good teams with great players. How would one determine which is "better"?
Talk CD into uploading it into his simulator.

From what I can gather, this process is more complicated than putting a man on the moon...
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:37 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Talk CD into uploading it into his simulator.

From what I can gather, this process is more complicated than putting a man on the moon...
I imagine so.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:57 PM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I imagine so.
It'd be cool, but there'd be no way to accurately do that because we'd need detailed performance data on all of those players and some of them played before television existed.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:04 AM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It'd be cool, but there'd be no way to accurately do that because we'd need detailed performance data on all of those players and some of them played before television existed.
But you could presumably sub in the performance of a real-world proxy, couldn't you? A player more recent in time? Then correct a bit in the margins to address era.

Don't get me wrong - it's not worth the time/effort, but it's not MY time and effort I'm looking to waste on a completely worthless vanity project. It's CDs.

So if he could just get started on that, that'd be great...
[Reply]
Brody Wa 12:25 PM 07-06-2020
I’m a homer so it’s Patrick Mahomes.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up