ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 162 of 163
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:41 AM 03-09-2022
Wow. You better get some rounds through the gun just to get your shoulder ready.

I’m not sure what 1,000 rounds would feel like at the end of a day.

Enjoy that man. That sounds awesome.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:45 AM 03-09-2022
Sounds like a blast DJ! Enjoy!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 03-09-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wow. You better get some rounds through the gun just to get your shoulder ready.

I’m not sure what 1,000 rounds would feel like at the end of a day.

Enjoy that man. That sounds awesome.
Well since all you damn farmers have gotten good at your jobs and the pheasant hunting sucks these days, I haven't done any real shotgun shooting in a looooooong time.

I've done more bow hunting in my 40s (like, 9 months) than I did shotgun hunting in my 30s. It just fell apart.

But yeah, we've been working on quail stands up at the ranch the last couple years (pain in the ass to mow around) so I may have to get my gun on this spring if Jim decides he has enough of them for us to throw some lead at them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:52 AM 03-09-2022
So I just got the link:

https://mgwoutfitters.com/?gclid=Cjw...hoCeqcQAvD_BwE

We're gonna be at La Volanta. Criminy that looks incredible. Pretty damn stoked.

[Reply]
Buehler445 10:55 AM 03-09-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Well since all you damn farmers have gotten good at your jobs and the pheasant hunting sucks these days, I haven't done any real shotgun shooting in a looooooong time.

I've done more bow hunting in my 40s (like, 9 months) than I did shotgun hunting in my 30s. It just fell apart.

But yeah, we've been working on quail stands up at the ranch the last couple years (pain in the ass to mow around) so I may have to get my gun on this spring if Jim decides he has enough of them for us to throw some lead at them.
Yeah. My bad. LOL.

Buddy came out and had to walk a bunch of stripped wheat stubble because I didn’t have any weeds and planted a bunch of cornstalks back.

Blue rock man. Just do it.

Dad put like a 5 foot handle on your basic hand held thrower which can get some speed on it if you need to work on that part.

But I’d just go get a basic thrower and get some lead out. 1000 rounds is A LOT
[Reply]
srvy 08:18 PM 03-09-2022
Holy shit.

So my sister won a dove hunt in Argentina for 6 people and my brother in law invited me and my best friend (who's my OTHER brother in-law but who's wife is my wife's sister and also my sister's best friend; long story).

Evidently Argentina dove hunting is one of the 'bucket list' items for hunters. From what I can tell Doves are a massive nuisances in Argentina and so these hunts are so insane that EACH hunter in the group can be expected to fire 1,000 rounds in a given day.

1,000 fucking rounds?!?!

5 days in Argentina with guides taking us up into the mountains to roust these things and 'bird boys' who chase down and count our birds. Then around mid-day you go cut down some trees, start a big damn fire, have some drinks and then go out shooting again.

Not gonna lie - this sounds cool as shit.
You have to be on top of your shotgun skills to hit those fast movers.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:06 AM 03-10-2022
Holy shit.

So my sister won a dove hunt in Argentina for 6 people and my brother in law invited me and my best friend (who's my OTHER brother in-law but who's wife is my wife's sister and also my sister's best friend; long story).

Evidently Argentina dove hunting is one of the 'bucket list' items for hunters. From what I can tell Doves are a massive nuisances in Argentina and so these hunts are so insane that EACH hunter in the group can be expected to fire 1,000 rounds in a given day.

1,000 ****ing rounds?!?!

5 days in Argentina with guides taking us up into the mountains to roust these things and 'bird boys' who chase down and count our birds. Then around mid-day you go cut down some trees, start a big damn fire, have some drinks and then go out shooting again.

Shooting will be amazing

If in right place food and drinks top drawer

Take plenty of credit/cash cause the shells are high dollar

Cash for tips....tip drivers, the kids who retrieve the birds, the cooks, just plan to tip.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:42 AM 03-10-2022
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Shooting will be amazing

If in right place food and drinks top drawer

Take plenty of credit/cash cause the shells are high dollar

Cash for tips....tip drivers, the kids who retrieve the birds, the cooks, just plan to tip.
.16 cents/bang. So yeah, figuring on $500-$750 in ammo. My understanding is most guys will taper off as the hunt goes along. By the last couple days it's mostly drinking, eating, and getting a couple hundred rounds up when the mood strikes.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:45 PM 03-10-2022
Better hit a euro pheasant hunt to get that shoulder ready!
[Reply]
LiveSteam 03:28 PM 03-10-2022
Go jump shoot a flock of snow geese.
Then spend an hour running around shooting cripples.
That'll have your shoulder and stamina ready to go
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:33 PM 03-10-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. My bad. LOL.

Buddy came out and had to walk a bunch of stripped wheat stubble because I didn’t have any weeds and planted a bunch of cornstalks back.

Blue rock man. Just do it.

Dad put like a 5 foot handle on your basic hand held thrower which can get some speed on it if you need to work on that part.

But I’d just go get a basic thrower and get some lead out. 1000 rounds is A LOT
Every farmer in my part of the world does a good job leaving cover for quail, its just that there is too many predators for them. A guy I used to work with is a big time bird hunter, goes all over from Kansas up to Montana, he said all the farms cover is perfect but the predators are too much for any big coveys anymore.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:35 PM 03-10-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Every farmer in my part of the world does a good job leaving cover for quail, its just that there is too many predators for them. A guy I used to work with is a big time bird hunter, goes all over from Kansas up to Montana, he said all the farms cover is perfect but the predators are too much for any big coveys anymore.
My part of the world is too dry for quail. At one point somebody stocked some that lasted a few years but they never took off
[Reply]
Raiderhater 03:59 PM 03-10-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
At least here in Kansas, it’s a myriad of issues, some a predator issue but, a whole lot of other things ranging from habitat/farming practices to the state prioritizing out of state deer hunting and mismanaging that and the bird hunting and all the gritty details involved.

I’ve been following a thread on Kansas specific quail and pheasant hunting, and it has been rather enlightening. I’m sure not that everything contained with in the discussion can be completely trusted but (I’m sure Buehler and a few others might have differing thoughts on some the farming criticisms) but, it is quite obvious that there is more than one issue lending to the decrease in the bird population here.

For anyone that might be interested or is just plain off-season bored -

https://forum.ultimatepheasanthuntin...-change.24921/
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:12 PM 03-10-2022
Holy shit.

1,000 fucking rounds?!?!

OUTSTANDING! Have a blast man...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:19 AM 04-16-2022
not a hunter-but respect it.

A nature enthusiast caught a rare glimpse of what appears to be an albino deer near Lake Mille Lacs.

Lora Elfmann snapped the photo of the ghostly deer among a pack of white-tails in a field between the towns Isle and Wahkon, which are located on the southeast side of Mille Lacs in east-central Minnesota.

"I drive around or hike almost daily looking for pic opportunities," Elfmann wrote in a message to Bring Me The News. "I've only seen the albino twice. Same one in the same field. But I know there's at least one other one."

Barbara Keller, the big game program leader of the fish and wildlife division with the DNR, says biologists estimate albino deer occur only once in every 20,000 or 30,000 deer.

As magnificent the sight of an albino deer is, the genetic disorder that causes a lack of pigment makes them an easy target for predators. Albino deer are also known to suffer from other genetic defects.

"They generally experience greater mortality than typical deer due to their diminished ability to evade predators when the snow melts, and can also be associated with other genetic defects including vision and spinal problems," said Keller.

The white deer running alongside a white-tail near Mille Lacs Lake earlier this month.
The white deer running alongside a white-tail near Mille Lacs Lake earlier this month.

Credit: Lora Elfmann

White deer that are not 100% white are known as a leucistic (also called piebald) deer. Leucism causes varying levels of white on a deer's body, which is why some are half brown, half white or sometimes only have white splotches on their bodies.

Elfmann's photos show a couple of tan splotches on the deer's hind legs, but Keller and a second could be urine stains rather than an indicator of leucism.

"That spot on it’s back leg is where the tarsal gland is located, and that is an area deer typically urinate and stain. So I think that area might just be stained, not an actual area of dark fur," said Keller, whose opinion was confirmed by the DNR's ungulate research scientist.

There are no laws protecting albino deer from hunters in Minnesota.
[Reply]
Page 162 of 163
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163 >
Up