ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 38
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The bee keeper diaries
Iowanian 06:59 PM 02-02-2017
It's a great time to buy stock in eppy pens.

This thread is a repository for bee keepers or those interested.

A couple of years ago, a couple of friends an my brother started puttering with honey bees. I didn't buy off because, well, I've never been a big fan of bees or getting stung by them. Last summer I tagged along a couple of times to check their hives and to remove honey bees from a house, public building and an old garage.

I realized at the end of the summer when I was helping them process some, that it's actually pretty interesting, and fits into my expanding "grow my own" logic. I'm not full blown hippy but I see a lot of logic in the self sustaining food thing and I'm doing some of that too.

That said, this thread is about bees, honey bees, bee keeping and bee fighting war stories.

I'm taking the leap and plan to get 2-3 hives this spring and maybe build some bee swarm traps to make it cheaper or to make a few bucks.

Join me and I'll share the real life lessons of an ameture bee keeper. I'm sure I'm going to learn some things the hard way.
Attached: IMG_0418.jpg (67.1 KB) 
[Reply]
patteeu 05:00 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Is this something you want to read about it for another year?
I have no interest in beekeeping, but I enjoy reading your stories about it.
[Reply]
Groves 05:26 PM 03-26-2018

We found one of our hives getting robbed on one of those sunny winter days. We brought it inside after dark to salvage the (considerable) remaining honey.

Here’s what the inside of a hive looks like. This box is upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:26 PM 03-26-2018
Ok...you asked for it. On this season of deadliest catch, I'll be overconfident and wreckless. I do hope others will feel included to share also. The real fun should begin sometime in April. See you all then.
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:29 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Groves:

We found one of our hives getting robbed on one of those sunny winter days. We brought it inside after dark to salvage the (considerable) remaining honey.

Here’s what the inside of a hive looks like. This box is upside down.

Interesting. Is this part of a top bar or just an 8 frame? Doesn't look like the comb is drawn on frames from here? I think I'd like. To build a top bar to try that, to sell comb honey.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:33 PM 03-26-2018
Yeah this is a great thread. Never had any interest but since this thread I've had several conversations with an old guy I know who's a beekeeper. It makes both our days I think.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:35 PM 03-26-2018
Ok...you asked for it. On this season of deadliest catch, I'll be overconfident and wreckless. I do hope others will feel included to share also. The real fun should begin sometime in April. See you all then.
What's the risk of becoming allergic to bee stings if you aren't allergic when you start the hobby? Is it low enough that it's not a consideration? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:36 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by patteeu:
What's the risk of becoming allergic to bee stings if you aren't allergic when you start the hobby? Is it low enough that it's not a consideration? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
No that's a great question
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:38 PM 03-26-2018
Not a dumb question at all, but I'd either be lying or googling an answer. I just don't know. I know people who can take a lot of stings and be ok, and I know people who can die from one. Maybe I'll be a good case study this year. I do think my brother swells more the more often he is stung.

I have heard discussion that the more you get hit, the more the reactions can increase. I've also heard of people who get stung on purpose to alleviate health conditions. I was asked about stinging a guys wife who had MS but I didn't want to do that.
[Reply]
redfan 05:42 PM 03-26-2018
Both of the hives have made it through the winter and seem to be strong. They have been bringing in tons of pollen, so brood production if well under way. They love the water station I've set up about 20' from the hives. It's fun to sit there and watch them drink.
We've had days where the bees have been in full gather mode with some nice warm days, although it's been kinda chillish and wet for the last few days.

I pulled the windbreak on the 21st, and flipped the reducer to the 3" entrance a few days before that. I'd been having a little trouble with condensation in the right side hive, so hopefully with the increased ventilation it won't be an issue.

I plan on getting a couple of new queens and do at least 2 splits. I'm getting some hybrid queens called mite-maulers, but they won't be ready until May 1.
I'm set up for 3 more potential swarms/trapouts, and could probably scrounge up a couple more in a pinch.

edit:
I'm preparing half an acre for some bee forage, right in front of the hives. It's mostly sainfoin, with some other nectar bearing flowers mixed in.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:30 PM 03-26-2018
Keep posting Iowanian.
[Reply]
srvy 06:39 PM 03-26-2018
Love the beekeeping diary. Keep them up hopefully.
[Reply]
COchief 06:41 PM 03-26-2018
I was asked about stinging a guys wife
I'll sting Brideanian if she ever needs it

:-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:39 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by COchief:
I'll sting Brideanian if she ever needs it

:-)
I'll ask her for you but I don't think a sweat bee stinger is going to interest her.

Red I'm very interested to see what happens with those hybrid queens. Let us know how they perform and the demeanor of the hive please
[Reply]
Groves 09:22 PM 03-28-2018
Interesting. Is this part of a top bar or just an 8 frame? Doesn't look like the comb is drawn on frames from here? I think I'd like. To build a top bar to try that, to sell comb honey.

This is a Warré hive. We run 8 or 9 topbars. This box is flipped over so you’re seeing the bottom.

It’s harvested a box at a time. I’m largely a non-interventionist. Add an empty box to the bottom in the spring. Take a full box of honey off the top in the fall. Rinse. Repeat.

[Reply]
Groves 09:24 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by patteeu:

The research goes both ways at this point. Some guys get more allergic the longer they’re in the hobby. Some guys get less. That’s my current understanding.

I do not think it goes rapidly either way, though.

[Reply]
Page 13 of 38
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up