ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 57
« First < 313738394041 4243444551 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:24 AM 06-19-2021
If you don't need fertilizer, I do a spot spray with 24D
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:33 AM 06-19-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
If you don't need fertilizer, I do a spot spray with 24D
Looks like 24D will take care of my needs.

Do you mix or just go with the ready spray? Results seem to be all over the place in reviews.
[Reply]
kstater 02:57 PM 06-19-2021
Dont do the pre mixed box store stuff. Yeah it'll work. Usually with two apps. But can get a concentrate from farm store that will get you 3x your money. As long as you can read the label and measure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
kstater 03:01 PM 06-19-2021
I keep a hand sprayer filled with Three Way from Lesco. Kills just about anything that will pop up in my yard. Outside of nutsedge and crab.

Pre emergent is the best course of action though. Properly timed though.
Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:45 PM 06-19-2021
agree with kstater on both.

I have never timed pre-emerge right.

I did give up doing the fert/weed kill myself. I hired it out. But still have 24D and roundup on hand for small applications.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 06:27 PM 06-19-2021
I've got two hand sprayers, one for 24D and the other for Brush killer which kills everything like Roundup. Cheaper though. I have tried different 24D's through the years. One isn't necessarily like the other if you read the ingredients. The chemical concoctions are different. Here one of the toughest broadleaf's to kill is 3 leaf clover. The best I've found for that is Gordon's Trimec.

Right now the problem is the drought we're going through. Bone dry here. We're over 4 inches short of our annual rainfall. I tried keeping up with my rain train but have given up. There are parts of my yard so dry it sounds like you're crushing shells on the beach when you walk over it.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:20 PM 06-19-2021
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I've got two hand sprayers, one for 24D and the other for Brush killer which kills everything like Roundup. Cheaper though. I have tried different 24D's through the years. One isn't necessarily like the other if you read the ingredients. The chemical concoctions are different. Here one of the toughest broadleaf's to kill is 3 leaf clover. The best I've found for that is Gordon's Trimec.

Right now the problem is the drought we're going through. Bone dry here. We're over 4 inches short of our annual rainfall. I tried keeping up with my rain train but have given up. There are parts of my yard so dry it sounds like you're crushing shells on the beach when you walk over it.
Trimec is good on Creeping Charlie early in the spring and late in the fall.

I have used spectracide 24D. Thought it was great.

I always tell the story of when dad would take the leftover Roundup and mix it with the leftover 24D. Sprayed it on fence rows. Sure the weeds did not know if they should grow fast or die.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:34 PM 06-19-2021
I had some weird grass in my yard. It would not die with 24D and the yard guy could not kill it. So I used a foam brush and wiped it with Roundup
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:25 PM 06-19-2021

Only 4 inches? I looked at the drought monitor and you’d think it hasn’t rained there since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Trimec is good shit. I think it has some dicamba in it.

If you’re running 2-4D just be sure you get an amine formulation not an ester. Ester will volatilize and nuke your trees.
[Reply]
Miles 12:11 AM 06-20-2021
I have an area behind my garage where I put down a weed barrier and filled in with river rock. I keep getting grass or grass like weed growing there and can’t manage to completely kill it with stuff like ortho ground clear. Anything better that I can try that isn’t so hardcore it messes with my trees in the same area?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:22 AM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Only 4 inches? I looked at the drought monitor and you’d think it hasn’t rained there since the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Trimec is good shit. I think it has some dicamba in it.

If you’re running 2-4D just be sure you get an amine formulation not an ester. Ester will volatilize and nuke your trees.
That was on June 1. I've had .26 since. I just checked the average June rainfall for my area and it's 4.1 inches. Not going to come close. Crops showing stress already and it isn't even summer.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:23 AM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I had some weird grass in my yard. It would not die with 24D and the yard guy could not kill it. So I used a foam brush and wiped it with Roundup
Lengthy but resourceful process.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:26 AM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by Miles:
I have an area behind my garage where I put down a weed barrier and filled in with river rock. I keep getting grass or grass like weed growing there and can’t manage to completely kill it with stuff like ortho ground clear. Anything better that I can try that isn’t so hardcore it messes with my trees in the same area?
The chemical I use to kill anything it hits specifically warns about root uptake by other plants. So I only use it for fence lines and the gravel driveway.

I'd read the warning label on anything else you pick out.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:30 AM 06-20-2021
Swung by my local Tractor Supply for some Gordon's Amine 400...j/k its coming Amazon Prime.

Thanks for all the responses. Lawn was laid new from sod last year, so easy peazy, or so I thought. Not sure if its my learning curve on weed control, the drought, or some combo of both, but I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack seeing them popping up in my lawn.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:36 AM 06-20-2021
Lengthy but resourceful process.
Just wanted to kill the bad grass. Not the good grass. Figured it was worth a shot.

If not, I can cut it out and replace it with sod in the fall or spring.

The hardest part is bending over my mt. dew gut.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 57
« First < 313738394041 4243444551 > Last »
Up