ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Columbia professor uses heroin for “work life balance”
banyon 05:26 PM 02-19-2021
Columbia professor: I do heroin regularly for ‘work-life balance’
By Michael Kaplan

February 19, 2021 | 4:49pm

Carl Hart, a professor at Columbia University, is open about his drug use, saying substances such as heroin help him in his daily life.

Carl Hart is a Columbia University professor of psychology and neuroscience. He chairs the psych department and has a fondness for heroin – not only as a subject of scholarly pursuit but also as a substance for personal use.

At 54, the married father of three has snorted small amounts of heroin for as many as 10 days in a row and enjoyed it mightily – even if, as he recalls in his new book “Drug Use for Grown-ups: Chasing Liberty in the Land of Fear” (Penguin Press), he’s experienced mild withdrawal symptoms “12 to 16 hours after the last dose.”

But, as Hart sees it, the discomfort is a worthwhile trade-off.

“There aren’t many things in life that I enjoy more than a few lines by the fireplace at the end of the day,” he writes, pointing out that the experience leaves him “refreshed” and “prepared to face another day.”

Hart, who studies the effects of psychoactive drugs on humans, finds his use of the narcotic to be “as rational as my alcohol use. Like vacation, sex and the arts, heroin is one of the tools that I use to maintain my work-life balance.”

His reason for coming clean about doing opiates and the like is to advocate for decriminalizing possession of recreational drugs. The book makes the case “that the demonization of drug use – not drugs themselves – [has] been a tremendous scourge on America, not least in reinforcing this country’s enduring structural racism,” according to the publisher.

Hart told Insider that he hopes to see President Biden work toward federal regulation and licensing of the use of substances that are often described as neighborhood scourges.

And, by his logic, if people are going to indulge, they should at least do it safely.

For instance, he told the site, “if you’re going to use opioids, don’t use alcohol as a background … [the combination] increases the likelihood of respiratory depression and death.”

It’s not just heroin that keeps Hart centered, he claims. The prof is also a fan of the effects brought on by MDMA (better known as Molly or ecstasy) and methamphetamine (a drug that has caused the most overdose deaths in nearly half the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). In describing MDMA, he recalled “intense feelings of pleasure, gratitude and energy.

“When I’m rolling, I just want to breathe deeply and enjoy it. The simple act of breathing can be extremely pleasurable.”

He even found pleasure in snorting a version of so-called bath salts, a synthetic cathinone that’s been linked to disturbing behavior from barking to breaking into homes. Hart’s assessment: “unequivocally wonderful.” In his book, he recounts the effects as being “euphoric, energetic, clearheaded and highly social … niiiiiice.”

So nice, in fact, that he writes about wanting to take the drug ahead of “some awful required social event, such as an academic reception.” A rep for Columbia has not returned The Post’s request for comment on Hart’s illegal drug use.

While recreational-drug enthusiasts may salute Hart, the medical and addiction community may find the prof’s utopian approach less than ideal. According to the CDC, in 2018, nearly 15,000 people died from drug overdoses involving heroin in the US.

Some experts maintain that even legalizing cannabis, the mildest of recreational drugs, poses dangers, including an increase in visits to emergency rooms, as one recent report from the University of Michigan found.

Plus, weed can have serious health effects: “Smoke a couple times a day and marijuana will knock off your memory. That is pretty certain,” Christian Hopfer, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, told The Post. “And there is no question that legalization has a normalizing effect on something that used to be against the law.”

While acknowledging in his book that “drug use is not for everybody,” Hart cites America’s founding documents and their promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as reasons for having the choice to snort lines, smoke weed and expand one’s mind.

“You can live your life as you choose,” he told Insider. “And it’s nobody’s business, as long as you do not interfere with anybody else doing the same.”

https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/columb...mpression=true
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 03:00 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Absolutely.

IMHO, the societal cost of outlawing drugs far outweighs the benefits.
Yeah, the war on drugs has terrible consequences for our society.

Poverty and crime created by the drug war is astronomical.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:29 PM 02-20-2021

[Reply]
Easy 6 04:32 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
china white privilege
:-)
[Reply]
Otter 04:33 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Young people should take on life crushing debt to gain this mans insights
And then asked to be not only forgiven but rewarded for this life decision.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:31 PM 02-20-2021
Just curious.

So this guy can admit to doing illegal drugs and keep his job. But people have lost jobs for being supportive of trump on social media.?
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:37 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I wonder if this is a ploy to help sales of his book?
BINGO !!!
[Reply]
Dayze 09:38 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Just curious.

So this guy can admit to doing illegal drugs and keep his job. But people have lost jobs for being supportive of trump on social media.?
Correct
[Reply]
Chief Northman 09:52 PM 02-20-2021
Hopefully this increases his life death balance
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:11 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
How does he reconcile the effects and contributions his drug use has made to the thousands of people in South America killed each year so he can use it? I don’t expect a run of mill addict to think about that but someone in his position should certainly be able to think about this.
He would probably, and correctly in my opinion, point out that this is another cost of making the drugs illegal and is not inherent to the drug use. Hence why this country ended prohibition.

At one point I favored decriminalizing all drugs but then watched some friends get almost destroyed by crank/amphetamine.

I think many of the harder drugs might be less harmful in a decriminalized environment. But some are both more addictive and harder on your body.

Some heroine addicts can live decades as long it's always the same strength so they don't over dose. If they don't kill themselves in the process of trying to get the drug. Coke/Crack addicts probably aren't going to last decades.

And those are the more nasty ones. Not really sure Molly or the psychedelics need to be in the same category.
[Reply]
eDave 11:24 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
WTF did i just read
Justification.
[Reply]
BDj23 11:32 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
How does he reconcile the effects and contributions his drug use has made to the thousands of people in South America killed each year so he can use it? I don’t expect a run of mill addict to think about that but someone in his position should certainly be able to think about this.
He'll blame wypipo, like the rest of quackademia
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:35 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Justification.
For what?
[Reply]
eDave 11:47 PM 02-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
For what?
Addiction. It's common to justify and romanticize the addiction in some way. Even if it's just Suzie Q's.

I justify my use of marijuana all the time, fully aware that I'd be better off without it (probably). Though it did assist in where I am now in a lot of ways. <-- There I go again.

On a side note, I've known and met people who micro dose all day. Acid or MDMA. Medication I suppose. But screw all things heroin. Justifying it's use is bogus.
[Reply]
Bump 01:02 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Addiction. It's common to justify and romanticize the addiction in some way. Even if it's just Suzie Q's.

I justify my use of marijuana all the time, fully aware that I'd be better off without it (probably). Though it did assist in where I am now in a lot of ways. <-- There I go again.

On a side note, I've known and met people who micro dose all day. Acid or MDMA. Medication I suppose. But screw all things heroin. Justifying it's use is bogus.
as long as people are getting their heroin in it's synthetic form oxycodone, then it's a good thing because Big Pharma sells that and them making more money is what's important here.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 05:59 AM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Just curious.

I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up