ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Clowns to the left of me . . .
NinerDoug 07:08 AM 02-02-2021
I think I understand how she got to be a “former” university professor.

Crazy Bernie is privileged to be crazy. Ok.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/02/teache...lege-in-op-ed/

San Francisco teacher writes in op-ed: Bernie Sanders’ mittens a ‘lesson in white privilege

A San Francisco high school teacher wrote an Op-ed claiming Sen. Bernie Sanders “manifests privilege” for wearing his meme-evoking inauguration outfit.

Ingrid Seyer-Ochi, a former UC Berkeley professor, wrote in the San Francisco Chronicle that the Vermont senator’s choice of recycled wool mittens mittens was integrated into her class discussion on US diversity and discrimination.

Initially, on Inauguration Day, Seyer-Ochi said her class talked about the deeper meanings of the historic day — including “the vulnerability of democracy” and “the power of ritual” and gender.

Sanders, the teacher said, was not even on their radar until he became an instant internet sensation over his mittens and brown parka.

“I puzzled and fumed as an individual as I strove to be my best possible teacher. What did I see? What did I think my students should see?” Seyer-Ochi wrote.

“A wealthy, incredibly well-educated and -privileged white man, showing up for perhaps the most important ritual of the decade, in a puffy jacket and huge mittens.”

The senator, she said, “manifests privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege, in ways that my students could see and feel.”

Seyer-Ochi said in the op-ed that many people without privilege would not be able to dress like Sanders did on such an occasion.

“I don’t know many poor, or working class, or female, or struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk who would show up at the inauguration of our 46th president dressed like Bernie,” she said.

The op-ed left many people on social media scratching their heads.

“So Bernie represents the terrible privilege of the white & rich because he *reads article* didn’t wear expensive clothes,” one commenter on Twitter wrote.

“Apparently it is privilege to dress comfortably and NOT privilege to wear expensive designer clothing while the media talks about ensembles like it’s a red carpet event,” another Twitter user commented.

A third person on Twitter wrote: “The only ‘privilege’ I see right now is being able to publish a bad faith opinion piece in a newspaper with a paywall,” one commenter on Twitter wrote.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 07:11 AM 02-02-2021
Mittens are racist
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:15 AM 02-02-2021
Imagine going into any type of debt for an opportunity to listen to this nutter speak
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:33 AM 02-02-2021
I saw that today and LOL'd thinking about how some of the LWNJ's around here would read that article unironically and think she was spot on.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 07:52 AM 02-02-2021
I’m wondering if it would be white privilege if Bernie showed up wearing a bow tie.

That’s kind of eccentric too.

I know a retired judge who always wears a bow tie. He’s from Mexico. White privilege. Because being different, expressing yourself as the old berkinstock wearing granola that you are is white privilege.

I have a feeling that 9 out of 10 of her students laugh at her as they hit the door.

The other 1, however, is concerning.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:55 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
I’m wondering if it would be white privilege if Bernie showed up wearing a bow tie.

I know a retired judge who always wears a bow tie. He’s from Mexico. White privilege. Because being different, expressing yourself as the old berkinstock wearing granola that you are is white privilege.

I have a feeling that 9 out of 10 of her students laugh at her as they hit the door.

Meh, I bet it's higher than 1/10 taking her seriously. I'd say people taking that class are more like 7/10 walking out parroting her BS. They are young and most of those will grow out of it though. Maybe your number of 1/10 won't.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:16 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Mittens are a white privilege
FYP
[Reply]
cosmo20002 08:51 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I saw that today and LOL'd thinking about how some of the LWNJ's around here would read that article unironically and think she was spot on.
I would guess not a single poster here thinks this is spot on.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:05 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
You drastically under estimate some of your fellow LWNJs. Loonguano and a couple of his buddies are all over this.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 09:06 AM 02-02-2021
I cannot decide if the NYPost is intentionally this hilarious. That article was funny on many different levels.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 09:09 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:

Bow Tie Wednesday is a thing where I work.

Also, any server at Olive Garden can where a shirt and a tie. A true professional color matches the tie to the shirt to the colorful socks.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 09:10 AM 02-02-2021
You drastically under estimate some of your fellow LWNJs. Loonguano and a couple of his buddies are all over this.
On day, you and the other mouth breathers, will figure out the so called liberals that live in your head aren't real. Maybe.

Your right. You'll always be this stupid.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:13 AM 02-02-2021
I don't think so. You assume there are "left" equivalents of Taco, BEP, and about 15-20 other RW batshit crazy crackpots. There aren't.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:43 AM 02-02-2021
Weird that she used “white” privilege re: Bernie.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 11:52 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
I agree.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up