ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 40
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:21 AM 01-25-2021
I think Remmers is now our most important FA. But I dont feel as bad bc I think Rankin needs more time to rehab. He was a rock solid G in 2019 but has looked poor this year.

I would be open to signing Jason Peters. Yes hes old but hes still pretty solid and he would be cheap. Oh and hes an Andy Reid guy.

We need Gs but Andy has proven he can get quality Gs late in LDT, Fulton and most recently Allegretti (what a find!). Id like Andy to take at least one G in the 5th or 6th rd.

I think our biggest needs are still receiver and pass rusher and C.

We really need a receiver badly bc if something happens to Tyreek or Kelce? Then the offense will really be in trouble.
[Reply]
O.city 11:23 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't see them going into next season with a rookie on one side and Niang, who will essentially be a rookie, on the other side.

They need two tackles and at least one of them needs to be a vet, IMO.

I guess we will see.
I think so too.

I would be really tempted to shop their first rounder around to some of the teams looking to really rebuild and see if they'd swing a pick for a LT.

The Lions, the Falcons, maybe the Eagles with Dillard.

If you could get one of those guys for 32 and next years 3rd, I'd be interested.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:24 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think Remmers is now our most important FA. But I dont feel as bad bc I think Rankin needs more time to rehab. He was a rock solid G in 2019 but has looked poor this year.

I would be open to signing Jason Peters. Yes hes old but hes still pretty solid and he would be cheap. Oh and hes an Andy Reid guy.

We need Gs but Andy has proven he can get quality Gs late in LDT, Fulton and most recently Allegretti (what a find!). Id like Andy to take at least one G in the 5th or 6th rd.

I think our biggest needs are still receiver and pass rusher and C.

We really need a receiver badly bc if something happens to Tyreek or Kelce? Then the offense will really be in trouble.
I agree with a lot of this.

We need to make sure we have a steady influx of play makers. No amount of OL help is going to keep Mahomes from getting murdered if he's missing one of his safety outlets. He's got to be able to get rid of the ball.
[Reply]
mkp785 11:25 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only problem is that Fisher's contract only had 1 year left on it.

They could easily go with a stop gap if Fisher were back in 2022 but as of right now, that's only happening if he signs an extension, during an injury year.
You're making a major leap of faith saying that Fisher will be the same. There's a very good chance he'll never be the same player again.

It would help a ton if they can talk Mitchell into 1 more year and he holds RT steady.
[Reply]
O.city 11:26 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think Remmers is now our most important FA. But I dont feel as bad bc I think Rankin needs more time to rehab. He was a rock solid G in 2019 but has looked poor this year.

I would be open to signing Jason Peters. Yes hes old but hes still pretty solid and he would be cheap. Oh and hes an Andy Reid guy.

We need Gs but Andy has proven he can get quality Gs late in LDT, Fulton and most recently Allegretti (what a find!). Id like Andy to take at least one G in the 5th or 6th rd.

I think our biggest needs are still receiver and pass rusher and C.

We really need a receiver badly bc if something happens to Tyreek or Kelce? Then the offense will really be in trouble.
I'd see about Rankin at LT. He was ok at guard last year, I don't know about "rock solid". IF he coudl play LT well, that would be huge.

Peters is so ancient. I'd be hesistant there. I'd keep Remmers over that.

It's situations like this where you always just have to keep stocking talent on your roster. You don't know where holes will occur or when things pop up.

Usually when you lose a LT like this, you're gonna have to pay to get one somewhere.
[Reply]
O.city 11:28 AM 01-25-2021
I woudln't be upset trying to keep Osemele around another year or two on a nice cheap deal.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:28 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think so too.

I would be really tempted to shop their first rounder around to some of the teams looking to really rebuild and see if they'd swing a pick for a LT.

The Lions, the Falcons, maybe the Eagles with Dillard.

If you could get one of those guys for 32 and next years 3rd, I'd be interested.
I'd be open to something like that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:29 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd see about Rankin at LT. He was ok at guard last year, I don't know about "rock solid". IF he coudl play LT well, that would be huge.

Peters is so ancient. I'd be hesistant there. I'd keep Remmers over that.

It's situations like this where you always just have to keep stocking talent on your roster. You don't know where holes will occur or when things pop up.

Usually when you lose a LT like this, you're gonna have to pay to get one somewhere.
Just keep in mind that the big reason Rankin is a Chiefs and Tunsil is a Texan is because Rankin was AWFUL at tackle.
[Reply]
O.city 11:35 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Just keep in mind that the big reason Rankin is a Chiefs and Tunsil is a Texan is because Rankin was AWFUL at tackle.
For sure.

Just from a cost standpoint, being able to have Rankin there making peanuts woudl really help alleviate some cost elsewhere.
[Reply]
O.city 11:38 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'd be open to something like that.
I figure, from a financial standpoint you've got LT slated to always be highly paid so that woudln't be an issue here
[Reply]
RunKC 11:46 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd see about Rankin at LT. He was ok at guard last year, I don't know about "rock solid". IF he coudl play LT well, that would be huge.

Peters is so ancient. I'd be hesistant there. I'd keep Remmers over that.

It's situations like this where you always just have to keep stocking talent on your roster. You don't know where holes will occur or when things pop up.

Usually when you lose a LT like this, you're gonna have to pay to get one somewhere.
Would try to keep Remmers at G or RT and Peters at LT. Either way I think Remmers is a must sign even if Schwartz is okay.

Give that man a raise and bring him back. Hes cheap
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:02 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Outside the box thinking, would you look around and see if someone might trade you a LT for 32?

Say if the Lions wanna rebuild fully, see if they'd trade you Decker for 32 and maybe next years 3rd or the Bienemy 3rd?
Absolutely on the table, in my opinion.

We actually have a direct precedent for this with Brett Veach.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:04 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Absolutely on the table, in my opinion.

We actually have a direct precedent for this with Brett Veach.
Gotta think they'd want more than that for Decker but if they'd do it, you jump at the chance. Still young.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:05 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Gotta think they'd want more than that for Decker but if they'd do it, you jump at the chance. Still young.
A 1st and throw in a few kneecaps.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:07 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
A 1st and throw in a few kneecaps.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 40
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up