ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 38
< 12 345612 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:31 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And thatís exactly what will happen because people seem to think that great lines can keep a mobile QB upright while holding their blocks for 7 or more seconds.
Yep.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:26 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Chiefs are not taking a guard or center in the 1st round.

Good grief.
Originally Posted by :
The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Go Chiefs
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:28 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I have ER as the top need, followed closely by WR, and then OL (specifically RT and Center)

Now, I like Phillips, Rousseau, Oweh, Jones, and Weaver as fits on the edge. I'm not overly excited about Paye or Basham early. I'm not so sure I'd spend a 1 on Oweh. I think the kids from Miami are gone. That leaves looking the ones from Pitt, and that DL was very talented. So, who is a beneficiary and who is the difference maker? I've been a fan of Weaver but I'm unsure about round 1 with him as well. I like him more than his teammate Jones as a guy that generates his own wins.

At WR, I have Chase, Smith, Waddle, Marshall, Toney, and Stevenson as guys I like early. I think the first three go pretty early. I think we'd have a to move up a handful of slots to get Marshall. I could be a buyer on either of the other 2 but...

That kind of leaves the what you bring up at OT and I'm a big fan of keeping Mahomes breathing. I don't trust Niang enough after an opt out rookie year to lock him in. I've said all along that if Jalen Mayfield is sitting there, I'd have a really hard time passing him up. I maintain that stance. I feel like Mayfield is that Schwartz/Conklin quality of RT that you don't find many of. This is a guy that went toe-to-toe with Chase Young and pretty well shut him down. He's the only OT I'd consider round 1. So would I take Mayfield over Jones, Weaver, Toney, and Stevenson? The answer for me is a resounding yes. I have alot more faith a really good receiver is there at the end of 2 or 3 than I do a RT of Mayfield's quality. You also have the opportunity to fix two spots with one pick by kicking Niang to guard.
Niang played his ass off against Chase Young, right?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:51 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Chiefs are not taking a guard or center in the 1st round.

Good grief.
I said that last year about running back.

I think you're probably right, but we're in a different era now. It's a different thing when you're a championship football team trying to stay on top as opposed to trying to get there.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:54 AM 01-22-2021
the simple fact of the matter is that if the line was a little better, we'd be better in the red zone, running the ball, and protecting Mahomes.

We can all argue about how much better, but it's clear that we could be more efficient in those areas.

I doubt that a Center or Guard is worth a #1 this year, but I DO expect a little more emphasis on the line this offseason given all of the injuries this season.

*by that I mean some mid-round picks as opposed to the usual late picks and UDFA's.
[Reply]
Superturtle 08:56 AM 01-22-2021
Weren't we pretty interested in Cesar Ruiz last year? At least enough that the Saints were too scared to trade back and miss out on him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:05 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I said that last year about running back.

I think you're probably right, but we're in a different era now. It's a different thing when you're a championship football team trying to stay on top as opposed to trying to get there.
Yeah, we're in a different era. An era ruled by offensive skill players and defensive specialists.

It would be a terrible waste of resources for them to spend a 1st round pick on an interior offensive lineman. Championship teams aren't built that way.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Weren't we pretty interested in Cesar Ruiz last year? At least enough that the Saints were too scared to trade back and miss out on him.
Thank God they didn't take him. He was terrible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:07 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
the simple fact of the matter is that if the line was a little better, we'd be better in the red zone, running the ball, and protecting Mahomes.

We can all argue about how much better, but it's clear that we could be more efficient in those areas.

I doubt that a Center or Guard is worth a #1 this year, but I DO expect a little more emphasis on the line this offseason given all of the injuries this season.

*by that I mean some mid-round picks as opposed to the usual late picks and UDFA's.
If there's a good center prospect there at #64, I'd probably take him. Other than that, yeah, mid-round picks would be good. Hopefully we'll have an extra third from EB.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:41 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If there's a good center prospect there at #64, I'd probably take him. Other than that, yeah, mid-round picks would be good. Hopefully we'll have an extra third from EB.
completely in agreement.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a DE in round one if there's a good fit.

But in Veach I trust.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:00 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
completely in agreement.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a DE in round one if there's a good fit.

But in Veach I trust.
I have to admit, I'm drooling over the thought of Terrance Marshall in this offense. But DE is easily 1b for me, so that would be great too.

Like you, though I completely trust this staff.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:10 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I have to admit, I'm drooling over the thought of Terrance Marshall in this offense. But DE is easily 1b for me, so that would be great too.

Like you, though I completely trust this staff.
I'll just say, every time I run a mock on Drafttek, Jaelen Phillips is there at #32, and Creed Humphrey at #64.

I know, I know, that's not likely accurate, but that's hard to pass up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:13 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'll just say, every time I run a mock on Drafttek, Jaelen Phillips is there at #32, and Creed Humphrey at #64.

I know, I know, that's not likely accurate, but that's hard to pass up.
That would be a hell of a first two days, for sure.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:02 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I said that last year about running back..
I thought the Chiefs would take a running back as early as #32 but with met with "Fuck that! The Chiefs need a guard or a center!".

If the Chiefs had taken a guard or center, there's not a chance in the world that they'd be 15-2 today.

Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think you're probably right, but we're in a different era now. It's a different thing when you're a championship football team trying to stay on top as opposed to trying to get there.
As Reid has proven since his arrival in 2013, his offense isn't about offensive lineman but about the QB and skill position players.

People on CP used to complain that Brady was so good that the Patriots could just plug in anyone off the street and win Super Bowls but when the Chiefs are doing the same exact thing, people continue to bitch that the offensive line "isn't good enough".

The game has changed completely. You don't need 5 1st rounders to protect a QB for 2.2 seconds.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:04 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Weren't we pretty interested in Cesar Ruiz last year? At least enough that the Saints were too scared to trade back and miss out on him.
And he fucking sucked his rookie season.

While I don't put any stock in to PFF, Wylie rated higher than Ruiz, which illustrates why the Chiefs continue to pass on IOL early in the draft.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 38
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up