ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Voting by mail...question...
InChiefsHeaven 12:49 PM 10-15-2020
OK, so I don't plan on voting by mail, I'll go to the polls like I always do.

BUT...I could order a mail in ballot, fill it out, mail it in.

What's to stop me from going to the polls on election day anyway and voting again? When I go to the polls to vote, they have a big book that they look up my name in and I sign it, so I guess that's how we know a person is eligible to vote in that precinct. Are we assuming the book of voter rolls will be updated based on my request to get a mail in ballot?

What if they are, and I ordered a mail in ballot but never got it, or decided not to use it, and went to the polls instead?

What if I mailed it in...how do I know it got where it was supposed to? Maybe it got lost, I dunno...

With everything being as screwed up as it is, I just think it's better to go to the polls and make your mark. Just curious what others think. Not trying to start a fight.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:24 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Voting by mail or person doesn't impact that, at all.
Thank you for explaining what does and doesn't make an impact for me. I wasn't sure.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:28 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Thank you for explaining what does and doesn't make an impact for me. I wasn't sure.
Unless having a ballot in your home changes how time functions, your time available for research doesn't change.

So, my pleasure.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 09:30 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
There there waiting to vote later tonight........:-)

:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 09:38 AM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Unless having a ballot in your home changes how time functions, your time available for research doesn't change.

So, my pleasure.
Maybe it's different out here. This time around, I have the following to vote on:

President
US Senator
US Representative
State Board of Education
Recent to the University of Colorado
State Senator
State Representative
District Attorney
County Commissioner x3
Judges x13
State Ballot Measures x11
County Ballot Measures x3

In total, it's 38 items to vote on. I just find it far easier to fill in the actual ballot as I go than to try and figure out what applies to me (and not my neighbor half a mile away), then write down notes to take with me. Others may vary.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 05:50 PM 10-16-2020
Yeah, you still technically CAN. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to do so. My interpretation is that the function is primarily there to take care of situations when a ballot gets lots in the mail or whatever. (You can look up whether your mail ballot has been received and counted online.)

One thing that I really like about mail voting that never gets discussed is that you can really take your time to research the candidates and issues. I'm nowhere near involved enough in politics to have much of an opinion about candidates for things like state house reps and county commissioners, so I usually take 4-5 hours in an evening to go through each one and do online research. While I doubt a majority of people put that much effort into it, it's a big bonus for me.

EDIT: Also, Colorado's shift to "blue" is primarily driven by hundreds of thousands of millennials moving here in the past decade. We're not quite the "next Silicon Valley," but we're not far off.
That line there highlights the difference between you (the ever-growing populace of America) and me ( the dwindling and slowly dyeing populace of America).

If taking a few minutes out of my busy schedule a couple times a year (If we are talking about all non Presidential election cycles) becomes unnecessary work to me, I will leave this line here for all CPers for easy quoting purposes....

Over Yonder will voluntarily quit voting.

I vote because I have an inner drive to have my voice heard. Theoretically, I would climb Mt. Everest butt naked pulling a lead sled to have that voice heard. 'Voting is too hard, we need to make it easier' is the exact opposite of my point of view.

I don't mean to single you out, like I said, the bigger part of Americans agree with you. I just find it really sad, that's all.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 06:28 PM 10-16-2020
i'm up to 4 ballots sent to my apt.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:14 PM 10-16-2020
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
That line there highlights the difference between you (the ever-growing populace of America) and me ( the dwindling and slowly dyeing populace of America).

If taking a few minutes out of my busy schedule a couple times a year (If we are talking about all non Presidential election cycles) becomes unnecessary work to me, I will leave this line here for all CPers for easy quoting purposes....

Over Yonder will voluntarily quit voting.

I vote because I have an inner drive to have my voice heard. Theoretically, I would climb Mt. Everest butt naked pulling a lead sled to have that voice heard. 'Voting is too hard, we need to make it easier' is the exact opposite of my point of view.

I don't mean to single you out, like I said, the bigger part of Americans agree with you. I just find it really sad, that's all.
You'll have to convince me that driving to a physical location is somehow indicative of your patriotic duty. I choose to optimize my time by doing the work at home. That doesn't mean that I'm putting less effort into it than you.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 08:10 AM 10-17-2020
You'll have to convince me that driving to a physical location is somehow indicative of your patriotic duty. I choose to optimize my time by doing the work at home. That doesn't mean that I'm putting less effort into it than you.
I wouldn't even try to convince you. We just have a basic fundamental difference that probably can't be reconciled. No need to pound the keyboard for hours and hours. And like I said, more people agree with you than agree with me. I acknowledge that.

It does kinda bring up the question, though. If America is invaded, can we count on the guys in your camp to physically resist or will you guys just mail resistance at the enemy? :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 08:58 AM 10-17-2020
It does kinda bring up the question, though. If America is invaded, can we count on the guys in your camp to physically resist or will you guys just mail resistance at the enemy? :-)

Yeah, if you think a question like that is meaningful, we're pretty far apart on this.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 09:01 AM 10-17-2020
I wouldn't even try to convince you. We just have a basic fundamental difference that probably can't be reconciled. No need to pound the keyboard for hours and hours. And like I said, more people agree with you than agree with me. I acknowledge that.

To summarize: You mock Daface because he gets his ballot in the mail, spends hours researching every race in order to make informed decisions about each and every candidate, and then casts his ballot.

You, on the other hand, take a couple of minutes out of your day, stop by the polling place, and cast your vote because you really want your voice to be heard. And then you make a snarky comment implying that this makes you a more patriotic American who is more likely to defend this country against an invasion.

I suspect Daface is basing his votes on a hell of a lot more information than you are. I'm not accusing you of being a low information voter.

Oh wait. Yes I am.

There was a thread recently where someone criticized McEnany. You responded by saying that you had never heard of "him". I just shook my head in stunned disbelief that you could make thousands of political posts and be completely unaware who McEnany is.

Hint: Kayleigh McEnany is the White House Press Secretary, and SHE is on television defending Trump every day.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:03 AM 10-17-2020
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
To summarize: You mock Daface because he gets his ballot in the mail, spends hours researching every race in order to make informed decisions about each and every candidate, and then casts his ballot.

You, on the other hand, take a couple of minutes out of your day, stop by the polling place, and cast your vote because you really want your voice to be heard. And then you make a snarky comment implying that this makes you a more patriotic American who is more likely to defend this country against an invasion.

I suspect Daface is basing his votes on a hell of a lot more information than you are. I'm not accusing you of being a low information voter.

Oh wait. Yes I am.

There was a thread recently where someone criticized McEnany. You responded by saying that you had never heard of "him". I just shook my head in stunned disbelief that you could make thousands of political posts and be completely unaware who McEnany is.

Hint: Kayleigh McEnany is the White House Press Secretary, and SHE is on television defending Trump every day.
Your insecurity is showing again, Lex.
[Reply]
Spott 09:06 AM 10-17-2020
I voted by mail, but I live in Florida and work in Ohio so it’s a little trickier to vote in person. I don’t see a problem with doing it either way.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:07 AM 10-17-2020
I know someone who voted by mail. He was specifically told that if he decided to instead vote in person he'd have to go through extra steps. I'm guessing that means your name would not show up as registered at the polling location.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:16 AM 10-17-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
I voted by mail, but I live in Florida and work in Ohio so it’s a little trickier to vote in person. I don’t see a problem with doing it either way.
By a requested absentee ballot or one of those generic mass mailings?

I've used absentee ballot when I have had to travel out-of-state on election day. Now I just turn it in and vote in person like I did last election, because absentee ballots aren't counted for who wins on election night.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:21 AM 10-17-2020
Bill Binney, a tech master formerly of NSA who was a WB, a real one, has a way to separate fraudulent mail-in-votes by matching up SS numbers with voter registrations. These ballots are subject to mail fraud laws already on the books. Binney even has a way they can be photographed and sent into each of the states too.

He also has a transmitter that can be put on ballot machines that can be used to discover anything in their programming that counts ballots differently than what has been cast.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up