ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 15
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>One Week to Retirement
Mosbonian 03:32 PM 03-22-2024
Good afternoon fellow Planeteers!

Exactly one week from today I will log off my laptop, gather what is left of my belongings at the office, hand in my equipment and turn in my badge.

After almost 48 years in my selected occupation I decided that the end of March is my retirement date. I've met many good people in my line of work and made a great deal of life long friends....(some of them Chiefs fans too)

Without getting too sentimental.....I think I have run my race and done the best I could to always be at the top of my game.

Now comes the next stage of my life....and I do have plans. But it would be nice to hear from any of the rest of you who are retired as to what happened after you retired......did you take a few weeks off before just moving to something part time or volunteer work? Or did you just hit the ground running.

Any retirement wisdom is greatly appreciated.

(And no....I am not taking a trip to Belize nor will I be drinking any anti-freeze)
[Reply]
KobesPilot 07:00 PM 03-22-2024
Very nice, enjoy your retirement.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:02 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
I know most of the Planeteers near me....most wouldn't drive out to where I live because they would have to cross the Buckman Bridge....or as we call it...the Florida NASCAR Training ground.
There for the game last year. That bridge sucked. Just awful.
[Reply]
DJay23 07:22 PM 03-22-2024
Whatever you do, don't let the Captain put you on one last case with your loose cannon partner.
[Reply]
DenverChief 07:40 PM 03-22-2024
15 more years to hit 30 years of service...probably won't make it that far, this is a young mans game and I'm not young anymore. I'm guessing around 8 more years.

Congrats tho! I have watched quite a few walk out the door for the last time over the past 2 years and I am envious.
[Reply]
Eureka 08:12 PM 03-22-2024
My grandfather retired and bought an RV. He then proceeded to drive around the country and see all his kids/grandkids.

[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 08:27 PM 03-22-2024
how bout some advice from one whos ready to one whos 5 yrs out ?
does it get any easier the closer you get? my desire to go is already strong, im hoping it wanes a little as im afraid im gonna get grumpy before its all over !! lol
[Reply]
Graystoke 08:35 PM 03-22-2024
I could retire tomorrow but I keep putting it off.
After 35 years

[Reply]
DenverChief 08:37 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
I could retire tomorrow but I keep putting it off.
After 35 years

Wow - that's impressive
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:49 PM 03-22-2024
Congrats on making it! I'm about one month behind you and feeling surprisingly impatient here at the end. I want to take a few months to decompress and then go back to work that I'll find meaningful. I might wind up working as much during "retirement" but on things I've wanted to do. Already been doing some volunteer work on weekends and have really enjoyed that. Good luck!
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 08:56 PM 03-22-2024
Congrats and go fuck yourself. I've got about 10 years left. I can't wait.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:21 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
how bout some advice from one whos ready to one whos 5 yrs out ?
does it get any easier the closer you get? my desire to go is already strong, im hoping it wanes a little as im afraid im gonna get grumpy before its all over !! lol
I will say this...the closer I got the easier it got. Actually the last couple of years really have picked up steam and it has gone fast...

I will also say this...there will be times that you look at what is going on around you and you will say....I've had enough of this silliness....
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:27 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Congrats on making it! I'm about one month behind you and feeling surprisingly impatient here at the end. I want to take a few months to decompress and then go back to work that I'll find meaningful. I might wind up working as much during "retirement" but on things I've wanted to do. Already been doing some volunteer work on weekends and have really enjoyed that. Good luck!
Congrats to you....and yes, the last month you do get a bit impatient because you are either training your successor and people start to see you as the "ghost in the house "....

Like you I plan to decompress and eventually do something that I enjoy....part time/consultant work and volunteer work that I have wanted to do forever.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:31 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
15 more years to hit 30 years of service...probably won't make it that far, this is a young mans game and I'm not young anymore. I'm guessing around 8 more years.

Congrats tho! I have watched quite a few walk out the door for the last time over the past 2 years and I am envious.
Even in the work I do it is becoming a younger man's game. Watching people you work with walk away too dies make you a bit envious....gotten a lot of "I wish I was you" comments from people I respect.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:41 PM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by DJay23:
Whatever you do, don't let the Captain put you on one last case with your loose cannon partner.
I'm too old for this @#$%....

Love Lethal Weapon
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:47 PM 03-22-2024
Congrats, Mosbonian and jerryaldini! That's a great accomplishment for you. I'll look forward to hearing how you're using your time over the first six months of retirement.

I'll be retiring fully in roughly August of 2025, but I'm working sporadically for the next year, with stretches of working full time, part-time, and not at all. So I'm dipping my toes in retirement.

You'd think that working sporadically would mean having more time, but for some reason I've been hit with all sorts of time-consuming unexpected things, and work also ebbs and flows, so I haven't had a chance to build a routine. I'm about to hit a three-month period of a lot of hours, but in September or so I'll end up with a long stretch of not working at all. My plan now is to have the entire winter and spring off before putting a bow on my career next summer.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 15
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up