ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump Faces Mounting Defections From Older White Voters
Eleazar 11:36 PM 06-28-2020
Trump Faces Mounting Defections From a Once-Loyal Group: Older White Voters

By Alexander Burns and Katie Glueck

No Democrat has won or broken even with voters over 65 in two decades. But seniors’ dismay about President Trump could change that.

Clifford Wagner, an 80-year-old Republican in Tucson, Ariz., never cared for President Trump.

He supported Jeb Bush in the 2016 presidential primary race and cast a protest vote in the general election for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian nominee. An Air Force veteran, Mr. Wagner described the Trump presidency as a mortifying experience: His friends in Europe and Japan tell him the United States has become “the laughingstock of the world.”

This year, Mr. Wagner said he would register his opposition to Mr. Trump more emphatically than he did in 2016. He plans to vote for Joseph R. Biden Jr., the presumptive Democratic nominee, and hopes the election is a ruinous one for the Republican Party.

“I’m a Christian, and I do not believe in the hateful, racist, bigoted speech that the president uses,” Mr. Wagner said, adding, “As much as I never thought I’d say this, I hope we get a Democratic president, a Democratic-controlled Senate and maintain a Democratic-controlled House.”

Mr. Wagner is part of one of the most important maverick voting groups in the 2020 general election: conservative-leaning seniors who have soured on the Republican Party over the past four years.

Republican presidential candidates typically carry older voters by solid margins, and in his first campaign Mr. Trump bested Hillary Clinton by seven percentage points with voters over 65. He won white seniors by nearly triple that margin.

Today, Mr. Trump and Mr. Biden are tied among seniors, according to a poll of registered voters conducted by The New York Times and Siena College. And in the six most important battleground states, Mr. Biden has established a clear upper hand, leading Mr. Trump by six percentage points among the oldest voters and nearly matching the president’s support among whites in that age group.

That is no small advantage for Mr. Biden, the former vice president, given the prevalence of retirement communities in a few of those crucial states, including Arizona and Florida.
Spoiler!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/u...ronavirus.html
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 08:32 AM 06-30-2020
I defected before TRUMP was POTUS and before it was hip.
[Reply]
theoldcoach 09:08 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I'm an old fart - and my vote will be for Trump. Period. End of story.
As will mine.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:53 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by theoldcoach:
As will mine.

:-)
[Reply]
Donger 10:55 AM 06-30-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
My dad was the same kind of voter as this article describes although he was 55 in the last election. He was die hard Republican as they came. I bet he voted for Trump due to options but he commented many times how big of a bonehead and clown he was.

That was even before Trump went full retard.
Went full retard? He's always been a full retard.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up