ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>IS THERE a price that’s too high for you to pay Mahomes?
Direckshun 11:30 AM 05-23-2020
I know we all say in jest we should pay him a small country’s economy, and I think we all have a read on Mahomes’ character to where we anticipate he’ll re-set the market but he’s not going to gobble up half of our capspace or anything. We know it’s going to be pricey and that that’s reasonable.

But what if Mahomes goes the full Dak.

Seriously — we’ve never seen anything like this. He won an MVP *and* a Super Bowl MVP. He’s had the best start to his career in NFL history.

What if Mahomes comes to you, Brett Veach, and opens at 55m/year? 60m/year?

And if he does come in at an astronomical price that you won’t accept, what do you do? You have him on the 5th year option in 2021, and two years of the franchise tag through 2023.

But this is a guy who our ABSOLUTE BEST SHOT at multiple Super Bowls. How high is too high for that?
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:30 AM 05-24-2020
I don't think a QB making 15% has ever won a Super Bowl. Or maybe it's 18%. Can't remember.

Matt Ryan should have been the first, but Ratface Jr. took that away from him.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:32 AM 05-24-2020
I mean, what is the price of a generational talent playing the most important position on the field who is capable of bringing multiple championships for his team?
[Reply]
Redbled 11:21 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I think the Chiefs should do something unique & innovative. Assign Mahomes a percentage of the cap that can go up every year. That way it’s automatic & no need to renegotiate every few years.

15%? 20%? 25%?

I’ve seen national guys put out numbers like 17.5 percent.
[Reply]
Redbled 11:25 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Pieces of the franchise are not allowed in the CBA. Nor are promises of additional money after their playing days are over.
Isn’t that what the Donkeys tried to cheat and do?

Just pay Brit 5 mill a year as a fitness consultant.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:28 AM 05-24-2020
This thread sucks
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:55 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Redbled:
Here’s a good article on this:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1...atrick-mahomes

“The only team to win the Super Bowl while having its two highest-paid players make more than 21.6 percent of the salary cap is the 49ers in 1994 with Steve Young and Jerry Rice.”
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:00 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by Redbled:
You save 15% by cutting/not making the mistake of signing Watkins, LDT, Hitchens (I wouldn’t put Chris Jones in that group because he’s so important to keeping our Defense at a high level — Watkins, LDT, and Hitchens are replaceable though Watkins was a great get for this next season at least).

The need for a great GM just goes way up going forward.

In Veach we trust...
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:17 PM 05-24-2020
If he wanted 100 million a year I'd pay it. I'd pay for 'Reek, Kelce, Watkins, Fisher, and Schwartz. On D I'd pay Mathieu, Clark, maybe Jones. The rest of the team would be made of all players on their rookie deals and vets on one year minimums.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:32 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I'd go as high as a bazillion but that's it. No way he's worth a gazillion, nobody is.
Let’s call it an even Eleventy Billion and get it done
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 12:40 PM 05-24-2020

[Reply]
RunKC 04:16 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I don't think a QB making 15% has ever won a Super Bowl. Or maybe it's 18%. Can't remember.

Matt Ryan should have been the first, but Ratface Jr. took that away from him.
Let’s examine who those QB’s are.

Matt Ryan, Cam, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Grapes etc. Those are the “good but not great” QB’s who have to have a fuck ton of help to win the Super Bowl, which is why you should t pay them top dollar. Dak Prescott is the very definition of this principle.

Then you have guys who truly deserve it like Rodgers and Wilson, but their management is trash. Look at all the fuck ups those teams have had in the draft?

Mahomes taking up 20-25% of the cap should not affect our chances having a goddamn legend at QB.

The closest thing to Mahomes the last 10 years is Aaron Rodgers, who took an ineptly ran franchise to 3 conference championships the last 7 years; almost 4 if not for an OT loss in the divisional rd.

He probably takes the Packers to 4 conference championships and a Super Bowl or two if he has competent management behind him.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 05:11 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Matt Ryan, Cam, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Grapes etc. Those are the “good but not great” QB’s who have to have a **** ton of help to win the Super Bowl, which is why you should t pay them top dollar. Dak Prescott is the very definition of this principle.

Then you have guys who truly deserve it like Rodgers and Wilson, but their management is trash. Look at all the **** ups those teams have had in the draft?

Mahomes taking up 20-25% of the cap should not affect our chances having a goddamn legend at QB.

The closest thing to Mahomes the last 10 years is Aaron Rodgers, who took an ineptly ran franchise to 3 conference championships the last 7 years; almost 4 if not for an OT loss in the divisional rd.

He probably takes the Packers to 4 conference championships and a Super Bowl or two if he has competent management behind him.
These are good points though I think there is a point where you can’t help but suck (or need home runs out of your draft picks and FA scrubs) for it to work. I still contend Giselle was the MVP of the Patriots for creating a situation where money was never a need or a goal of Brady’s. If we can figure out a way for Brittany to make $50 million/year then I think this whole conversation becomes moot.
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:30 PM 05-24-2020

Matt Ryan, Cam, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Grapes etc. Those are the “good but not great” QB’s who have to have a fuck ton of help to win the Super Bowl, which is why you should t pay them top dollar. Dak Prescott is the very definition of this principle.

Then you have guys who truly deserve it like Rodgers and Wilson, but their management is trash. Look at all the fuck ups those teams have had in the draft?

In the Packers lone SB year with Rodgers, Ted Thompson actually spent money on guys like Cullen Jenkins and Charles Woodson on their defense. Even then, they had to ACE a ton of drafts to acquire the depth that they did have. At least, that's how they chose to build their team.

I'm not worried about the offense with Mahomes and Andy Reid, and when Andy retires, Mahomes will have things down such that he's basically running the show anyway, kind of like how Tom Moore barely had to lift a finger on those Indy teams with Manning. But when Rodgers lost his great defensive players like Woodson and Jenkins, Ted Thompson failed at drafting replacements, and when he failed, he didn't account for those mistakes and barely ever acquired veteran free agents to fill those gaps.

And that's how Aaron Rodgers only won a single Super Bowl in his career.

We can lose some guys (especially the ones not performing up to their contracts like Hitchens) but when you start pushing past 20% of the cap taken up by one player EVERY YEAR (where there's no maturation of the contract with the yearly cap rise) then it's not just one or a few of those glue guys on defense that you're losing. It's multiples. Potentially all of them. Or one of your stars. Or you find some way to squeeze them all in but then miss out on an important 1-year veteran signing that could put things over the top for your defense.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 06:56 PM 05-24-2020
Luckily, I don't have to pay Mahomes, because we would be fucked if I did.
[Reply]
DRM08 08:14 PM 05-24-2020

Matt Ryan, Cam, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Jimmy Grapes etc. Those are the “good but not great” QB’s who have to have a **** ton of help to win the Super Bowl, which is why you should t pay them top dollar. Dak Prescott is the very definition of this principle.

Then you have guys who truly deserve it like Rodgers and Wilson, but their management is trash. Look at all the **** ups those teams have had in the draft?

Valid points. Top level for QB contract is usually 18 to 18.5% of the cap. That's about where Rodgers and Wilson were at the time they signed their most recent contracts.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up