ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 65 of 324
« First < 15556162636465 6667686975115165 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
bricks 10:30 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
The problem with Ford is that he's taken SO LONG just to reach "contributing asset"-status. I don't know about you, but I'm not backing up the Brinks truck for a 1st round pick that reaches "contributing asset"-status as his high water mark going in to a contract year.

**** THAT.
Very true.

Its good to feel skeptical under that circumstance or scenario.

Im worried that if they break the bank for him, he won’t be as good.

I think now is a good time to trade him. Trade Ford for a really good corner or safety. Do it now while his value is high and given that passrushers are a premium in this league and I think there will be a few teams that will covet him. Will the Chiefs do it? Im not so sure.

But if they did, I wouldn’t be opposed to that at all.

They’re gonna transition to a 4-3 anyway. My logical choices for players to depend on to rush the passer in the 4-3 under would Houston and Jones. But Houston is injury prone so it may be wise to draft for DE depth? Sorry to drift a bit off topic here but I think they can afford to trade Ford. They could sacrifice a bit of passrush for some secondary help. Sometimes you gotta give up something to get something.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 10:47 PM 01-25-2019
The problem with Ford is that he's taken SO LONG just to reach "contributing asset"-status. I don't know about you, but I'm not backing up the Brinks truck for a 1st round pick that reaches "contributing asset"-status as his high water mark going in to a contract year.

**** THAT.
But a lot depends on wether or not you have purchased his jersey. Many of CP members have based their opinion on such event.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:50 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by bricks:
Very true.

Its good to feel skeptical under that circumstance or scenario.

Im worried that if they break the bank for him, he won’t be as good.

I think now is a good time to trade him. Trade Ford for a really good corner or safety. Do it now while his value is high and given that passrushers are a premium in this league and I think there will be a few teams that will covet him. Will the Chiefs do it? Im not so sure.

But if they did, I wouldn’t be opposed to that at all.

They’re gonna transition to a 4-3 anyway. My logical choices for players to depend on to rush the passer in the 4-3 under would Houston and Jones. But Houston is injury prone so it may be wise to draft for DE depth? Sorry to drift a bit off topic here but I think they can afford to trade Ford. They could sacrifice a bit of passrush for some secondary help. Sometimes you gotta give up something to get something.
I agree fully.

Let's be brutally honest. When we picked up this kid, we were expecting pressures and sacks galore. Everything about Dee Ford's skill set and measurables had us thinking that we were getting DT Jr. WITH THE EXCEPTION...that we would probably be lucky to get about 1/2 of that level of output overall because DT is, well, DT.

And we didn't even get that. I know injuries have played a part, but they have played TOO much a part, and I'm just not comfortable extending this player.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:55 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
But a lot depends on wether or not you have purchased his jersey. Many of CP members have based their opinion on such event.
If Reid wants to play "big cuddly papa coach" over on offense, he's earned that right. But our defense needs to be meticulously scrutinized and mercilessly torn apart like Wolverine on a bloodletting rampage.

Lil' Chiefy and his jersey collection be fucked. :-)
[Reply]
bricks 01:22 AM 01-26-2019
I agree fully.

Let's be brutally honest. When we picked up this kid, we were expecting pressures and sacks galore. Everything about Dee Ford's skill set and measurables had us thinking that we were getting DT Jr. WITH THE EXCEPTION...that we would probably be lucky to get about 1/2 of that level of output overall because DT is, well, DT.

And we didn't even get that. I know injuries have played a part, but they have played TOO much a part, and I'm just not comfortable extending this player.
Neither am I. His overall resume doesn't spell consistency. He's had 2 good years out of 5. His best year happens to be his contract year which who knows if that is a coincidence in that he is improving? or if he is just motivated by the money factor?

I wanna elude to what you were saying earlier about injuries playing a part, I wanna comment on how that has made him inconsistent and not durable.

Plus he is a very one dimensional player and not a complete player at all. Can't stop the run, can't cover, injury prone of course....Also, not a smart player. Nobody will forget him for lining up offsides in the AFCCG but also remember one game when we were playing I think it was the Dolphins and he run backwards away from the running back...I was like WTF?

Too many red flags with this player.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:44 AM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
You don't understand not wanting Mike Smith as Defensive Coordinator but still wanting Mike Smith as Linebacker's coach?
not when it was a bunch of asshats talking about what an overrated piece of shit he is. It's not like people were saying, " he's just not experienced enough"-
it was all "he got 80 points scored on him at Texas Tech!"

Overfuckingreaction Planet.
[Reply]
Chargem 04:33 AM 01-26-2019
On gamepass there's a 20 minute "film session" with Spags where he talks about the various zone coverages, I just watched it.

I don't think he's an amazing DC, but just hearing him say things like "if corners are your strength then you can play coverage XYZ more" or "we want to hide the fact that we are playing cover 3 from the QB pre snap, because if the QB knows what you are playing he can always beat it" makes me think he will be way better for the Chiefs than Bob Sutton.

I realise I'm probably setting a very low bar with "better than Sutton".
[Reply]
New World Order 04:38 AM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
On gamepass there's a 20 minute "film session" with Spags where he talks about the various zone coverages, I just watched it.

I don't think he's an amazing DC, but just hearing him say things like "if corners are your strength then you can play coverage XYZ more" or "we want to hide the fact that we are playing cover 3 from the QB pre snap, because if the QB knows what you are playing he can always beat it" makes me think he will be way better for the Chiefs than Bob Sutton.

This gives me a lot of hope.

Now let's help Spag and have a great offseason, Veach.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:54 AM 01-26-2019

But-that's literally the bar. If he clears THAT bar, we're in the Super Bowl and probably winning it.

I think the chances are, he'll be considerably better than that, but if he's only that this is a successful hire.
[Reply]
Chargem 07:23 AM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
But-that's literally the bar. If he clears THAT bar, we're in the Super Bowl and probably winning it.

I think the chances are, he'll be considerably better than that, but if he's only that this is a successful hire.
I also just watched the first half of the Giants first game of the 2017 season, away at Dallas.

They seemed to do a good job on D, kept the run game from Prescott and Elliot mostly bottled up and made a few tackles for a loss. Kept the Cowboys to a punt and two field goals on their first 3 drives, then conceded a touchdown at the end of the half due to a ticky-tack DPI penalty on Jenkins.

The Giants offense had 1 first down in the first half I think (I was fast forwarding it).

Doesn't look so bad so far.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:30 AM 01-26-2019
I also just watched the first half of the Giants first game of the 2017 season, away at Dallas.

They seemed to do a good job on D, kept the run game from Prescott and Elliot mostly bottled up and made a few tackles for a loss. Kept the Cowboys to a punt and two field goals on their first 3 drives, then conceded a touchdown at the end of the half due to a ticky-tack DPI penalty on Jenkins.

The Giants offense had 1 first down in the first half I think (I was fast forwarding it).

Doesn't look so bad so far.
Yeah. That team unraveled pretty quick due to a competely inept HC.

I really think we're going to be pleased with Spags, I really do. Whenever he's had a stable HC and organization, he's done well. I don't think that's all that weird-I think 90% of success in the NFL from individual players to coaches is about the situation they're put in and what/who they are surrounded by.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:37 AM 01-26-2019
I would like to see Derrick Johnson hang up his shoulder pads for good and come on board in an assistant LB coach capacity, sort of groom him in a way that we're not dependent on him being successful right now, but as he learns can take on more responsibility. I do think he'd eventually make a good coach, and so does Reid.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:29 AM 01-26-2019

I’d be curious of how he lined up their front 4 on most passing downs. Did Snacks Harrison play a bunch or just early downs? Because it could be an indicator of how they may use Nnadi
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:32 AM 01-26-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I’d be curious of how he lined up their front 4 on most passing downs. Did Snacks Harrison play a bunch or just early downs? Because it could be an indicator of how they may use Nnadi
When the Giants had that group of DEs back in 07-08 they would go to a formation with nothing but pass rushing DEs at all 4 spots on the DL.

Tuck and Kiwanuka at DT, with Strahan and Umenyiora at DE.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 10:18 AM 01-26-2019
I’ve mulled this over a while now.

Positives to Spagnuolo hire:
- Regarded as a great teacher of both tactics and technique. He is sound in his defensive philosophy which does allow his teams to make “adjustments” as players are usually well versed in assignment football.
- Has extensive knowledge/experience coaching defensive backs and linebackers. These position groups need the most work on the Chiefs roster. No more blown coverages at the goal line on game winning plays.
- Spagnuolo’s scheme will be SIMPLER for players and verbiage will not be cumbersome. Players’ skill sets will be catered to, and this defense will attack more with 1gap responsibilities for the front 7 and less read/react tendencies we saw from Sutton.
- Spagnuolo’s experience as a HC gives him better insight into personnel and I would suggest he might have more influence in the draft/free agency than the brass will ever let on. Spagnuolo is well-regarded by players and organizational personnel at all levels. He is connected, and can have a say into how he envisions this defense taking shape.
- Trust. Reid will trust Spagnuolo to get the job done. He’s been in the league a long time and knows how to coach.

Negatives to the Spagnuolo hire:
- The conversion to a 4-3 Under scheme will cause the Chiefs to have a difficult offseason. Hard decisions on players like Ford, Houston, Ragland, the secondary, and an ailing Eric Berry will mean a lot of turnover. I worry more about culture “buy-in” than scheme/execution. A lot of nrw faces will mean some growing pains.
- Time out of the league. Spagnuolo will not forget how to coach, but I am curious if he used his year out of the league to sharpen the saw, or rather, take a break. Is he hungry? Or is he just happy to be employed again? I think working with a contender with the league MVP should be motivation enough.
- While a new voice in the defensive locker room should be inspiring and motivating, the fact that players seem to love “Spags” is arguably an eventual downfall of his too. He has been accused of being too loyal to his players in the face of a need for discipline/accountability.
- Statistical record of work. Mediocrity might be the operative word. Maybe at this point, the Chiefs and their fanbase gladly accept mediocrity.

All in all, I think this hire can ultimately bear fruit. I think Spagnuolo is better equipped to know how to play complementary football, and his tenure and experience in the league can be an asset to Veach and Reid in bringing in the right type of players to make this defense respectable again.
[Reply]
Page 65 of 324
« First < 15556162636465 6667686975115165 > Last »
Up