ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 163
« First < 34567 8910111757107 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 09:51 AM 10-24-2003
Part of the trick, at least as far as I’ve been taught, is to not draw your bow until the last moment. If you draw while your buck is walking into your shooting lane, he could hear you and pause then you’ve got to hold your drawn bow until he continues, if he doesn’t bolt.
Holding a drawn bow for more than a few moments is hard on muscles and you’ll start shaking, making a clean shot even harder.
It’s best to be patient and not draw until your buck is definatly within range. Then draw, aim and release quickly but smoothly.

Some more experienced bow hunters could probably help with more, or even better, tips and tricks.
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:26 AM 10-24-2003
I *knew* this was one of the Larry Zach "old rivals" bucks. 3 minute video of this magnificent beast....world record buck....taken by the luckiest 15 year old kid on hte planet.

http://www.zachwildlifeart.com/video_bcob.html
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:29 AM 10-24-2003
The best advice I can give on bow hunting is get a newer bow, don't turn it up further than you can pull it back...cold.(I shoot 55lbs). Get a bow with a 75-80% letoff. You can hold it back for several minutes.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 11:13 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
If you practice, know your range and distance you won't miss...in theory.

AND, with the modern sights and such, it makes becoming proficient with a bow much easier.

As for gut shooting with a bow, the same shot with a rifle will produce the same results. And, with gun, bow, or whatever, you really need to know at least some basics in tracking or be with someone that does before venturing afield because even with a good hit that doesn't shatter the spine or a shoulder, a deer can travel quite a ways before dieng.
[Reply]
Devin Vierth 12:19 PM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by PastorMikH:
AND, with the modern sights and such, it makes becoming proficient with a bow much easier.

As for gut shooting with a bow, the same shot with a rifle will produce the same results. And, with gun, bow, or whatever, you really need to know at least some basics in tracking or be with someone that does before venturing afield because even with a good hit that doesn't shatter the spine or a shoulder, a deer can travel quite a ways before dieng.
I've been shooting rifles and hand guns for over 20 years and I can hit where I shoot which is usually at the top of the shoulder because I like them to drop immediately. I have had to track and can do that fine so that is not the worry.

I just have not shot a bow since I was a boy and I just don't have the time to learn, at least not now. Someday I would love to take up bow hunting. There are some nice white tails along the Boise river that I would love to stick an arrow in. :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:00 PM 10-24-2003
The best advice I can give on bow hunting is get a newer bow, don't turn it up further than you can pull it back...cold.(I shoot 55lbs). Get a bow with a 75-80% letoff. You can hold it back for several minutes.

Maybe that was my problem, I’ve never used a bow with less than 65# pull.
[Reply]
ClearmontChief 02:26 PM 10-24-2003
You really don't need a really heavy pulling bow. 65 lbs or better. It's all about keeping the broadheads sharp, and making a good hit. Of course, you need to practice...lots of practice, and confidence.

My dad makes bows. Used to be recurves, but now he makes longbows. They are sweet, beautiful pieces. I would truely love to get a nice buck while using dad's bows. But, they require more practice time than I have. You need to shoot 15-20 arrows a day, everyday to have the confidence in your shot. I just don't have that kind of time, work and kids stuff.

I just was NOT confident in killing a deer with dad's bow, practice time, range of shot, angle of shot, instinct shooting, overcoming buck fever, and I'd missed several for several years. NO CONFIDENCE.

Last year, after missing several deer over the previous 6 years trying to get a deer with dad's bow, I switched back to my 55 lb compound. I got a new release, practiced a month or so before season...and, when I put my 20 yard pin on a target I HIT IT, everytime!

First time on a stand, had a nice buck come in. Put the 20 yard pin on 'em, and let go. He ran about 40 yards and piled up, double lung and heart! NICE 9-pointer that I put on the wall.

Bottom line, be proficient and confident in whatever weapon you choose, practice as much as you can and keep the broadheads sharp!
[Reply]
Iowanian 02:40 PM 10-24-2003
With the new cams on bows(and I don't claim to be an expert) they are so fast, that it just doesn't take the same Draw weight to get the speed and keep the arrow from dropping.

I figure anyone shooting over 60lbs is either 1.old fashioned 2. showing off 3. Hunting Wildabeast
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:05 PM 10-24-2003
With the new cams on bows(and I don't claim to be an expert) they are so fast, that it just doesn't take the same Draw weight to get the speed and keep the arrow from dropping.

I figure anyone shooting over 60lbs is either 1.old fashioned 2. showing off 3. Hunting Wildabeast
It seems like my old bow was a White Tail Hunter by Bear that was dialed in at 72#, if IIRC, and although I could shoot a nice tight pattern with it at 40 yards, there was a considerable drop at that range. I’d still punch arrows straight through the hay bails we were using for target practice, but I was surprised by how much the arrow dropped.
Lost track of that old bow, probably traded it for something I’ve sold or traded off again by now. Maybe I should get a good newer bow and pick up the sport again. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:54 PM 12-07-2003
Alright....I need a quick break from Chiefs reality.

Bow season didn't finish up so great...Filled the doe tag, but da turdy point buck just wouldn't come by close enough.

This weekend first shotgun season...I filled my land owner tag with the biggest buck by far that I've ever had a shot at. A really nice 9 point non typical...Not huge, but pretty cool because of the rack...one side is a perfect 5point with nice mass and tine lenth...the other side looks like it should be on a completely different deer. I'm pretty stoked about it.

The next 2 weekends will be 2nd season, which is when I really "hunt"...
[Reply]
ndbbm 02:31 PM 12-15-2003
Bagged myself a six point and a doe on Saturday, our last day of hunting here in PA. Saw 32 deer total and 2 flocks of turkey. Finish that off with 1.2 million squirrels. It was a great day to take my gun for a walk. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:36 PM 12-15-2003
Congrats on your kills nb....

Saturday, my brother, Uncle and I took a 12 year old out for his first hunt....saw alot of does, and a small buck, but didn't bring anything home.

Next weekend when the Other one is back on leave is when we'll fill out the tags.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 04:07 PM 12-15-2003
Alright....I need a quick break from Chiefs reality.

Bow season didn't finish up so great...Filled the doe tag, but da turdy point buck just wouldn't come by close enough.

This weekend first shotgun season...I filled my land owner tag with the biggest buck by far that I've ever had a shot at. A really nice 9 point non typical...Not huge, but pretty cool because of the rack...one side is a perfect 5point with nice mass and tine lenth...the other side looks like it should be on a completely different deer. I'm pretty stoked about it.

The next 2 weekends will be 2nd season, which is when I really "hunt"...
Any pics?
I've always wanted a non-typical.
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:28 PM 12-15-2003
Attached: mybuck2.jpg (48.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 05:36 PM 12-15-2003
That's a damn nice buck, congrats!
I'm worried about your face though.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 163