ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3356 of 3903
« First < 2356285632563306334633523353335433553356 33573358335933603366340634563856 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
kgrund 12:46 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sigh. Fauci didn't claim the 90% figure attributed to him, so I corrected it. Nothing fluid about it.
In Donger's world Fauci could say that nearly all of us will die from COVID and Donger would argue he did not say all he said nearly all. Donger has a lot of Bill Clinton in him.:-)
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 12:54 PM 12-28-2020
My friend/employee is getting released from the hospital today or tomorrow. She was very close to going on a vent last week but has steadily improved. Nothing can ruin my day, I'm so happy!
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:55 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well, looks like no vaccine for dentist in MO until the end of January at the earliest. They're allocating it mostly to long term care facilities and hospitals and aren't getting the shipments they thought here at the health department.

Oh well.
I'm looking for market research consultants on the priority list and they must have had an oversight. I'll be contacting my governor to mention this and get us moved up. Right now, I think we're behind panhandlers with "Not lying - just want beer" signs.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 01:00 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
My friend/employee is getting released from the hospital today or tomorrow. She was very close to going on a vent last week but has steadily improved. Nothing can ruin my day, I'm so happy!
Great to hear!!
[Reply]
TLO 01:10 PM 12-28-2020
Glad to hear it!
[Reply]
petegz28 01:31 PM 12-28-2020
Awesome!
[Reply]
petegz28 01:40 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
In Donger's world Fauci could say that nearly all of us will die from COVID and Donger would argue he did not say all he said nearly all. Donger has a lot of Bill Clinton in him.:-)
As usual he focused on some semantic BS instead of the overall point. My entire argument with Fauci was him changing his target based on a ****ing poll.

Yesterday:

50% of people think the Chiefs will win their next game

Fauci: I think the Chiefs will need to score 31pts to win their next game.

Today:
60% of people think the Chiefs will win their next game.

Fauci: Oh, well, then now I think the Chiefs will need to score 41pts to win.

Why did you change Dr. Fauci? Well when I saw 50% say they thought the Chiefs would win I figured to beat the next team the Chiefs would need to score 31 points. But when I saw that 60% think they will win I changed it to 41 pts because I want more people to thinkt he Chiefs will win.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:57 PM 12-28-2020
I can personally attest to this. To this day, though it is getting better, if I am just sitting at my desk or something I will smell a foul odor. If I inhale through my nose it goes away or if there is a heavy odor in the air. It is getting better but not 100% yet.

Coronavirus 'long haulers' experiencing fishy, sulphur smells: reports
https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...smells-reports

While researchers continue to study lasting, long-term effects following infection from the novel coronavirus, new reports reiterate the so-called "long haulers" experiencing a distorted sense of smell, catching odd, unpleasant fishy, sulphur and burning odors.

Professor Nirmal Kumar, consultant ENT surgeon and president of ENT UK, attributed the warped sense of smell to parosmia, calling it "very strange and very unique," per a report from Sky News. According to the National Institutes of Health, parosmia signals an altered "perception of odors," "or when something that normally smells pleasant now smells foul."

Though reports of coronavirus long haulers experiencing foul odors cropped up earlier this year, parosmia has yet to make it onto the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) list of coronavirus-related symptoms, though the agency notes the list "does not include all possible symptoms."

"CDC will continue to update this list as we learn more about COVID-19," reads the agency's web page. One expert previously elaborated on sense of smell in the context of viral pathogens to Fox News

"There are two sensory systems in our nose. We are able to detect pleasant fragrances by way of the olfactory nerve, whereas dangerous, toxic smells are detected by the trigeminal nerve," Dr. Susan Shin, an assistant professor of neurology at Mount Sinai Hospital, previously told Fox News. "The trigeminal nerve is likely more resilient to effects of a viral pathogen compared to the olfactory nerve because we need it to detect dangers in our environment, such as smelling smoke from a fire."

Kumar said thousands of patients across the U.K. are under treatment for loss of smell, coined anosmia, and some are now experiencing the largely unpleasant odors associated with parosmia, per the outlet. The professor explained the patients’ distorted smell stems from "olfactory hallucinations."

Earlier this spring, Kumar and ENT UK reported growing numbers of patients presenting in clinics with a "sudden, unexplained loss of sense of smell." Kumar says the organization was among the first to suggest that the patients’ loss of smell was due to coronavirus infection.

"This virus has an affinity for the nerves in the head and in particular, the nerve that controls the sense of smell," the professor told the outlet. "But it probably affects other nerves too and it affects, we think, neurotransmitters — the mechanisms that send messages to the brain."

"What this means is the virus is affecting the nerves in the roof of the nose — it's like a shock to your nervous system, and the nerves aren't functioning," Kumar added, per another report.

While one 24-year-old patient in the U.K., Daniel Saveski, reported a "burning, sulphur-like odor" ever since he briefly lost his sense of smell for two weeks in March, another patient in her mid-50s described the phenomenon as "disgusting" and spoke of a "sickly sweet smell."

"Most things smelled disgusting, this sickly sweet smell which is hard to describe as I've never come across it before," Lynn Corbett of Selsey in England told Sky News.

Chrissi Kelly, a board member of AbScent, a U.K. charity supporting smell disorders, has advised those affected to avoid foods triggering unpleasant smells, eat room temperature or cold foods to tamp down on rising smells, and to opt for simple, bland foods like rice and pasta in the meantime.

Separate research in late October from the U.K.'s King's College London analyzed symptoms of 4,182 coronavirus patients who had logged their illness using a COVID Symptom Study app. They noted 558 of the patients saw symptoms last longer than 28 days, while 189 suffered for over eight weeks, and 95 patients with symptoms reported that they lasted longer than 12 weeks.

The researchers found that among the long-COVID patients, symptoms were most commonly listed as fatigue, headache, dyspnea and anosmia, and were more likely to occur in older patients, those with a higher BMI and in patients who were female. According to the most recent reports, the distorted smell, or parosmia, may more greatly affect younger patients and medical workers.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:06 PM 12-28-2020

New study following 12,541 healthcare workers for #COVID19 re-infection over 31 weeks published in NEJM. Natural immunisation held up well over the 6 months of the study, with only two cases of asymptomatic reinfections observed.https://t.co/nlDg79Zszt pic.twitter.com/LXMD2R3bq1

— Prof Francois Balloux (@BallouxFrancois) December 28, 2020

[Reply]
O.city 02:26 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
You mean it's not an alien virus and reacts normal? I'm shocked.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:28 PM 12-28-2020
You mean it's not an alien virus and reacts normal? I'm shocked.

They WTF do I have to still wear a mask????? :-)
[Reply]
O.city 02:46 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
They WTF do I have to still wear a mask????? :-)
YOu don't
[Reply]
petegz28 02:53 PM 12-28-2020
YOu don't
Tell that to the places that make me wear a mask! :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:01 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Sounds like a distribution issue within the states which is embarrassing knowing they’ve had so long to prepare.

But 100 million people vaccinated by the end of February would be fantastic.
I’ll believe 100 million vaccinated Americans when it happens.

It’s already now 20 million vaccines delivered. Instead of 20 million shots in arm. That’s a huge difference. Is there even a reason being given why we are falling behind schedule this early?

That schedule is going to back up farther when the people start taking up space in the schedule to get their 2nd shot.
[Reply]
O.city 03:06 PM 12-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Tell that to the places that make me wear a mask! :-)
The individual places themselves don't know who has and hasn't had it so it makes sense to just ask everyone to. It is what it is.
[Reply]
Page 3356 of 3903
« First < 2356285632563306334633523353335433553356 33573358335933603366340634563856 > Last »
Up