ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 38
« First < 253132333435 363738 >
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
sully1983 10:28 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Taika Watitti confirmed to helm a Star Wars film.

Taika will direct and co-write with screenwriter and Oscar nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (“1917,” “Last Night in Soho”).

I'll be sure to post any details in the coming months that I can share.
This dude is making serious moves in Hollywood. Good for him. He literally has so much shit in the works as of now (Including the new Thor film).
[Reply]
bowener 11:12 AM 05-04-2020
God damn. The finale was perfect.
[Reply]
NewChief 04:10 PM 05-04-2020
Rewatching episode 8 in prep for watching 9 tonight. Wow. I just don't know how they screwed thongs up this bad. I can't tell if it's the writing the acting or what. Everything is just too much. And tries too hard. It's all exaggerated and comes off as almost a satire or parody of itself as a result.

I think the attempts at humor and cuteness are probably the most offensive thing to me, along with Adam Driver's portrayal of Kylo Ren. It amazes me that someone who can act so well in other roles is so bad in this.
[Reply]
sully1983 05:51 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Rewatching episode 8 in prep for watching 9 tonight. Wow. I just don't know how they screwed thongs up this bad. I can't tell if it's the writing the acting or what. Everything is just too much. And tries too hard. It's all exaggerated and comes off as almost a satire or parody of itself as a result.

I think the attempts at humor and cuteness are probably the most offensive thing to me, along with Adam Driver's portrayal of Kylo Ren. It amazes me that someone who can act so well in other roles is so bad in this.
Yeah imo it all hinges on the very subpar NEW cast. They all sucked. From the forced Finn/Poe "bromance" to Driver's cringeworthy emo performance etc etc, it was just a dud.

Also worth noting that it was too bad that the original cast of Luke/Han never got to go on one last mission together. I'm no SW expert obviously (just a casual fan) but talk about a missed oppurtunity
[Reply]
Bowser 08:01 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by NewChief:

Long story short - Disney just straight boofed their shot at Star Wars. They never came close to the nuance with the characters the first six had. Amazing LOOKING films, but just pure garbage in story telling.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:08 PM 05-04-2020
It's pretty bad when you get upstaged by not one, but TWO cartoons (Rebels and Clone Wars)

And a show about a guy who shows his face once, a robot and a plastic alien baby (Mando)

And a movie where you know everyone is going to die at the end (Rogue One)

And a movie where you know everyone is going to live at the end (Solo).

It's like the original trilogy being outclassed by DROIDS, The Ewok Adventure and The Holiday Special.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:12 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Taika Watitti confirmed to helm a Star Wars film.

Taika will direct and co-write with screenwriter and Oscar nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (“1917,” “Last Night in Soho”).

I'll be sure to post any details in the coming months that I can share.
It's going to be fun to see what this guy does with Star Wars.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:54 PM 05-04-2020
oh my god man

Filoni should have directed the sequel trilogy

somehow a cartoon had more emotional weight and a believable climax than a feature film

HAUNTING
[Reply]
NewChief 09:12 PM 05-04-2020
Well. I just finished 9. It wasn't as bad as 8. I don't know, I think I've just gotten too old for the franchise. Stupid stuff bothers me like the imperial "speeders" on the desert planet looking like snowmobiles with tracks (why not just a hover speeder?) and the horse riding and bow shooting people. I know this series is really space opera fantasy not sci-fi, but things that should delight me just annoy me in it now.

I still liked this one, though.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:17 PM 05-04-2020
my emotions

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:25 PM 05-04-2020
:-)

[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:36 PM 05-04-2020
That sucked. What the hell happened. The scenes were given no time to breathe. Everything seems so sloppy post production. Just some real amateur stuff from Abrams here.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 11:25 PM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Yeah imo it all hinges on the very subpar NEW cast. They all sucked. From the forced Finn/Poe "bromance" to Driver's cringeworthy emo performance etc etc, it was just a dud.

Also worth noting that it was too bad that the original cast of Luke/Han never got to go on one last mission together. I'm no SW expert obviously (just a casual fan) but talk about a missed oppurtunity
This is one of the things that shocked me the most. After prequel Anakin's angsty/emo shit bombed I thought for sure we wouldn't get anything like that here. I love Driver, otherwise. Just thought they would want to get as far away from that shit as possible...
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:25 AM 05-05-2020
Just watched 9 for the first time since opening night. And as I figured at the time, it's a better rewatch. You spend less time thinking about how all of it makes such little sense in the context of the rest of the series and its lack of any real consistency/logic with Rian Johnson's vision in 8 and can just go along for the ride. I don't think any of the sequel trilogy movies are better than the OT or ROTS but they're all fine overall. It's just too bad they weren't planned out at all beforehand and don't fit together well. A lot of wasted potential there.

Also watched the last four episodes of Clone Wars. Hadn't seen it since Ahsoka walked out on the order, so I don't really know what I missed in the interim (maybe I'll watch it someday) but that was a pretty effective ending.
[Reply]
bowener 12:32 PM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
my emotions

Spoiler!
The soundtrack was incredible, and the final track was perfect for the finals scenes.
[Reply]
JakeLV 05-05-2020, 11:32 PM
This message has been deleted by JakeLV.
Page 35 of 38
« First < 253132333435 363738 >
Up