ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 70
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:15 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Good news/bad news with the finale, I'd say.

The bad news is that the first half was pretty meh. But the way they set the commercials, it looked like the second half could be something big. And it was.

I won't give any spoilers away, but it was both very predictable and very well done.

Expect some dust in your eyes for the last 15 minutes.
It was okay. I mean, we already know there's going to be a second season, and you can't have a second season of Picard without Picard, so there's no way Picard can die.

Some thoughts. I guess I'll spoiler them for now.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Jamie 02:00 PM 03-26-2020
I will say the ending was better than I was expecting.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
keg in kc 02:55 PM 03-26-2020
Spoiler!

[Reply]
007 08:02 PM 03-26-2020
So he would like another 10 maybe 20....

Episodes
[Reply]
listopencil 10:52 PM 03-26-2020
I enjoyed it, the last episode was fine. The
Spoiler!
was clunky and obvious but the
Spoiler!
was handled well enough to overshadow that. The hook ups were corny and, I feel, unnecessary ways to add dramatic interpersonal plotlines for next season. The major spaceship confrontation was unrealistic but I enjoyed that line by
Spoiler!

So, I'll tune in next season to give a try again. See what happens.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:04 AM 03-27-2020
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:10 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Spoiler!
That was out of nowhere, but they were hinting at Seven being a lesbian in her first episode this season. Strong overtones that the woman she killed was her lover.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:20 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Spoiler!

There are quite a few loose ends floating around. Like how everyone just kinda forgets that Scrunchyface Murdergirl killed her ex lover a while ago, and did it as someone who is pretty much a medical doctor that decided to murder a patient she had in her care even disregarding their relationship. But the cool space pilot guy with all the accents has the hots for her and she's just sooooo adorkable so...yay?
[Reply]
Frazod 08:32 AM 03-27-2020
Another thing that just doesn't add up - Picard's ship had to use a Borg conduit to reach this hidden planet out in the far flung bumblefuck reaches of space, yet one retired officer is able to muster a fleet of hundreds of (identical) Star Fleet ships and get there a couple of days later? Why would the same admiral who basically told Picard to go fuck himself sign off on that? Wouldn't she have just told Riker to go fuck himself as well?

Remember how often the Enterprise was the only ship in quadrant available to respond to a threat or an emergency situation, even when they were near Earth?

I guess we shouldn't think too hard about this stuff. :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:34 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess we shouldn't think too hard about this stuff. :-)
I think that's true for most entertainment. Since I stopped reading reviews or watching easter egg videos or just generally trying to think too hard about anything in entertainment, I've found that I enjoy almost everything more. Although the stuff that's REALLY good still stands out from the noise (I just finished The Mandalorian for the third time...).

It also helps to completely not care about politics. I can enjoy right-leaning stuff. I can enjoy left-leaning stuff. Apathy is a great cure for being offended. Don't need to agree or disagree with the creators or the writers or the network or anybody; I can just watch for pure entertainment value. And if it somehow still hits a point that annoys me for whatever reason, well, I can just turn it off.
[Reply]
Miles 11:17 PM 03-27-2020
Glad I waited to watch the last two together since it was a bit uneven with some weaker stuff mixed in with some noce high points that were mostly in the second part.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 02:13 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by candyman:
Does anyone else think the android-looking version of Isa Briones/Soji (Sutra) is a lot sexier than Isa Briones/Soji?
Yes.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 03:30 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Good news/bad news with the finale, I'd say.

The bad news is that the first half was pretty meh. But the way they set the commercials, it looked like the second half could be something big. And it was.

I won't give any spoilers away, but it was both very predictable and very well done.

Expect some dust in your eyes for the last 15 minutes.
This is fair. Overall I thought it the show was disappointing, disjointed, and featured a bunch of characters I never really got to know doing things that never made a lot of sense. It also suffered from that trend of introducing things, characters, and situations that go absolutely nowhere and never rise above plot devices with no payoff.

Last couple episodes fixed some of that but the show was really frustrating. I wanted so badly to like it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:12 PM 03-28-2020
In a conversation i had a few days ago, my comment was that it's the most disappointing show in years. As I probably said earlier in the thread, it was 8 hours of poorly-written characters and a mostly nonsensical mess of a plot redeemed only by nostalgia hooks to 20 years ago and Patrick Stewart being Patrick Stewart. It has good moments but it's just not a good show.

I wasn't kidding earlier when I said I liked Discovery (and I mean the first season of Discovery) more, and I didn't even watch that show until I'd been set up to hate it by 3 years of people dogging it here. Which isn't to say it's great, either, but I think it was better than what we got from Picard.

The only thing I really liked about Picard was that they finally let some 'adult' language into the Trek universe. But, for me, nothing else that they did that wasn't some direct call-back to Next Generation worked at all.

Which is probably why we're seeing a shift in the showrunner and writer's room.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:15 AM 04-02-2020
Large, fat nerd tears are streaming down my face.

That was beautiful.

More beautiful than I could have anticipated.

An ending that completely gives Data the death he deserved and sets up Season 2 as something FUCKING INSANELY AWESOME.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 70
« First < 192526272829 3031323339 > Last »
Up