ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
The Lounge>Upgrading the offensive line (...or not?)
RealSNR 05:06 PM 02-09-2019
Due to the nature of large threads, several days ago the Spagnuolo thread kind of veered off for awhile into a discussion about offensive line. I thought an interesting conversation got going while we were on the subject of drafting/developing players cheaply when we Mahomes eventually needs to get paid and how we can get a head start on gaining some of that flexibility.

These are the Chiefs OL who are 2019 free agents:

Mitch Morse
Jordan Devey
Jeff Allen

If we just let them walk, we'd be left with:

Austin Reiter
Jimmy Murray
Kahlil McKenzie
Andrew Wylie
Eric Fisher
Mitch Schwartz
Cam Erving
LDT

Plus the following dudes from the practice squad if you want to be "official":

Ryan Hunter
Pace Murphy

How much investment in OL do you think is optimal? Are you satisfied with the developmental guys on the roster, or would you go so far to use even a 2nd rounder to replace Morse? Would you take it a step further and also invest in finding a better LG or even backup OT?
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:23 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
KC was 5th best in sacks allowed per game.
Against the better defenses like the Ravens,Hawks, Pats etc....?
[Reply]
srvy 11:42 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
KC was 5th best in sacks allowed per game.
A lot of that was because of Pat but I dont buy the stat one bit. Id like a stat on contact after the ball is out. Pat has little fear and will thread it in on the run before taking the shot. There is a point with any QB when those shots eventually take a toll. This line needs to be better and Andy owes it to his superstar to protect him. If anything should convince you rewatch the AFC championship who was the best oline that game. The difference was night and day a old TB could stand in pocket. When they wanted to run they blew open holes and got to the second level.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:47 AM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
A lot of that was because of Pat but I dont buy the stat one bit. Id like a stat on contact after the ball is out. Pat has little fear and will thread it in on the run before taking the shot. There is a point with any QB when those shots eventually take a toll. This line needs to be better and Andy owes it to his superstar to protect him. If anything should convince you rewatch the AFC championship who was the best oline that game. The difference was night and day a old TB could stand in pocket. When they wanted to run they blew open holes and got to the second level.
:-):-):-):-)

My point exactly !!
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:56 AM 02-10-2019
And I'm sure we'll get that.

Just not THIS year. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:00 PM 02-10-2019
I think we're a year away from the OL investment.

I think the big need this offseason is to get the defense to a respectable level. Then you have to start restocking the OL next year. Then you'll need to start restocking playmakers the year after that.
[Reply]
Iconic 12:11 PM 02-10-2019
We'd see more improvement from the O-Line by drafting a LT than any guard or center could provide. There's a decent amount of inside guys that are interchangable already on the roster.

What I really want is a fatty who can replace Fisher but that's not happening. Fisher has about two years left in KC. I think we'll just get another 'jack of all trades master of none' type in the lower rounds for depth. However next year, it's time to look at LTs in the upper 3 rounds.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 12:21 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think we're a year away from the OL investment.

I think the big need this offseason is to get the defense to a respectable level. Then you have to start restocking the OL next year. Then you'll need to start restocking playmakers the year after that.
Yip. Rotate in-rotate out. And it would be nice if we could begin a practice of unloading "stars" before their expiration date hits as well. Start being on top of situations instead of racing to catch up, or wasting precious cap on paying players because "well, who ELSE are you going to get"? I hate that shit.
[Reply]
UK_Chief 12:59 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Need a new LT
Agree. Fisher is meh. Good at times, revolving door at other times. Not what you want in a LT
[Reply]
Chargem 01:03 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Your reading comprehension and football eyes are severely lacking my friend. Bob Barker did not happen when Reiter and Wylie were filling in just so you know. However, Bob Barker occurred on a regular basis when Morse and LDT returned to the lineup especially against the better defenses and is my point about pimping Reiter and Wylie.:-)
When did LDT return to the line up?

I think you have a point somewhat, in that I liked the potential shown by Reiter and Wylie and they seem pretty good in pass pro.

I disagree with you on LDT and Schwartz, those guys have been money and the injuries from LDT aren't the kind that you think maybe he is injury prone - sometimes you just get a broken leg in the trenches, can happen to anyone.

The Patriots and Ravens beat the line with stunts and unusual blitzes. Some of that is on better communication by the line where there's nothing you can do if you need to keep swapping guys due to injuries and some of that is Mahomes needing to develop in terms of line calls. I don't think overall talent on the line was the issue in most cases.

Mahomes also invited a lot of pressure on himself that was nothing to do with the line, he could also improve there. That's probably the overall biggest difference to his health.

I do think the Chiefs need to add more depth, G is okay but Tackle and Center could use some late round picks (5 or later) to develop.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:05 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
Yip. Rotate in-rotate out. And it would be nice if we could begin a practice of unloading "stars" before their expiration date hits as well. Start being on top of situations instead of racing to catch up, or wasting precious cap on paying players because "well, who ELSE are you going to get"? I hate that shit.
this is why I'm so high on Jaylon Ferguson in rd. 1. Yeah, we're probably keeping Ford for another year. Possibly Houston too. So let's have a replacement stud DE ready for primetime waiting in the wings, rotating in, ready for the inevitable half season of injury time to either Houston or Ford and next year you let 'em walk.

I want Ferguson, best CB available, best S available in the first two rounds.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:24 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Your reading comprehension and football eyes are severely lacking my friend. Bob Barker did not happen when Reiter and Wylie were filling in just so you know. However, Bob Barker occurred on a regular basis when Morse and LDT returned to the lineup especially against the better defenses and is my point about pimping Reiter and Wylie.:-)
LDT didn't get to return to the lineup after his injury......
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:24 PM 02-10-2019
Cameron Erving was drafted out of Florida State as a center. So Reiter, Murray, and Erving can compete for center position. Maybe playing center would cure Erving's tendency for moving too early?

Find a backup LT and develop him as a starter.

That player probably needs to have played a lot of LT in college and have the required size, foot quickness, and arm length that you look for in that position.

Looking at the Chiefs current roster I don't think Kahlil McKenzie, Jimmy Murray, Andrew Wylie, Ryan Hunter, or Pace Murphy really fit the LT profile.

So draft the perfect future LT and find him in the later rounds. Not an easy task.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:51 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
It's clear you do not have "football eyes".:-)
I get it CP loves their scrubs. Yall convinced yourselves Scandrick was better than Peters :-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:58 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
So looking back on the last 2 years you think our O line has been stellar? Iíve seen Pat running for his life for a good part of the year. Is that part of his game?? Sure, but heíd surely do event better with better protection. Scapegoat?? Yeah I guess our offensive line getting beat by the better teams in the league shouldnít be too worrisome considering we have a once in a lifetime qb behind center. Letís keep going with the same guy who hasnít shown me that he can consistently push the line to the next level.

So are you saying we need to replace a good part of the line, because Andy ****ing Heck is doing an admirable job??
No I dont think the line did an admirable job. If PMII wasnt our QB, then Im sure the line would have gotten our QB hurt. But changing the fucking Oline coach isn't going to make them suck any less. The only coaches that can make much of a difference in how well the players play are HC, OC, DC. Those coaches are in charge of using the right scheme to compliment the players they have and not calling the same plays that dont work or calling plays that put thevplayers in the wrong position. No O line coach is going to "coach up" Eric Fisher and make him an all pro. No one can turn chicken shit into chicken salad.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:37 PM 02-10-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Yall convinced yourselves Scandrick was better than Peters :-)
Not I. But I was not a fan of either player for that matter. Vet who was washed up or an athletic melt down who wouldn't cover or tackle but just only jump routes.:-)

If Ford doesn't have ADD at the end of the game we are in the SB without your boy Peters. Think about that for a second. :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up