ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2019 Prospect Tracker: Chiefs Interest / Visits / Work Outs ***
Dante84 02:02 AM 01-26-2019
Well, we made it all the way to Overtime of the AFC Championship. With a solid draft, we could get over the hump.

This is the 8th year in a row that we will be tracking the college players the Chiefs have publicly or privately expressed interest in leading up to the NFL Draft.

Here's how we did in 2018. We had 7 guys on the list end up making the roster, including 4 draft picks! Hell of job, guys!

For those who are new, the way this operates is that we collectively monitor various social media sources, blogs, articles and reports for news of the Chiefs' interest in a certain player. When posted in this thread, I will update the OP to include the player. *Please provide the link to the article, the players name, position and team.

I am going to try to link to player profiles when they exist, courtesy of NFL Draft Tracker. Now that DraftBreakdown.com has been shutdown, I'd love to know if there's a good substitute for game videos. For some of the lesser-known guys, it may just be a random video or profile from their team website.

Let's meet some of our future Chiefs:

2019 Draft - Chiefs Prospect Tracker

Offense
QB
Trace McSorley, Penn State

RB


WR
Andy Isabella, UMass
Tyre Brady, Marshall
Jakobi Meyers, NC State
David Sills, West Virginia


TE


OT


G


C


Defense
CB
Kris Boyd, Texas
Amani Oruwariye, Penn State
Derrick Baity, Kentucky
Blace Brown, Troy
Rashad Fenton, South Carolina


S
Nasir Adderly, Delaware


Edge
Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion
Jaylon Ferguson, LA Tech
Carl Granderson, Wyoming

OLB


ILB
Otaro Alaka, Texas A&M
Te’Von Coney, Notre Dame
Terrill Hanks, New Mexico State
Joe Dineen Jr., Kansas


DL
Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
Charles Omenihu, Texas


DT
Dontavius Russel, Auburn


Special Teams
P


K


Links to Past Years:
2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
[Reply]
Chargem 05:15 AM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
not sure if this is where I should say this but-

I did some looking back through Spags' personnel on his better defenses. He'll play rookies in key spots and 2nd year guys. In 2007 he had a rookie corner and a couple of second year starters. So if guys can play, they'll play.
I'm assuming the rookie corner was a 1st rounder?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:09 AM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
I've been saying all season that Boyd was tremendously over rated in mock drafts and I think senior bowl week has proven that out. He was atrocious in his time during the first half.

With that said...here's some scouting feedback on the two Longhorn targets we've talked to.

My personal opinion is that if we tag + trade Dee Ford that Charles Omenihu could be an interesting take for us to slide into the LEO alongside Chris Jones in Spags defense.

" The bottom line is that neither Charles Omenihu nor Kris Boyd blew the doors off the Senior Bowl in the way many would have hoped. There is good news, though. I've talked to tons of scouts and professional analysts this week and no one thinks Omenihu falls out of the second round. Sitting at the airport and typing this, I was talking to a well-known sportswriter who said hello and I told him I was writing an update on the two and asked his opinion. He said that he couldn't see Charles going any later than Day 2 (meaning rounds 2 and 3) and a scout sitting at my gate next to me overheard the conversation and agreed that he will not. Armed with all this information, I think it is fair to project Omenihu's draft floor currently as late third-round with upside to move up from there with a good combine and/or a great game on Saturday.

We've seen edge guys like Ezekiel Ansah and even as recently as last year, Marcus Davenport, have a slow week of practices and then explode in the game to help their stock. Such an event for Omenihu would surely be a boon.

"There were so many good DL," one scout said when I asked about Omenihu's week, "it was hard to stand out. Better using his hands. You saw his arms, but I like the way he used his hands. The (North OL) is tough."
Or Jaylon Ferguson, DE/Edge, Lousiana Tech. Either would be nice.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:13 AM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
I'm assuming the rookie corner was a 1st rounder?
yes, Aaron Ross.
[Reply]
Coogs 12:42 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Disagree. Williams done well no doubt, but he's still not as good as Kareem Hunt and that's why the Pats were able to be successful in the first half because they didn't respect our run game at all. Getting a stud rb should be a priority imo and i'm hopeful that they already know who like and their targets weren't at the senior bowl.
The dude had 3 TD's last Sunday, and would have had 4 without the overthrow. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:54 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
The dude had 3 TD's last Sunday, and would have had 4 without the overthrow. :-)

yeah i don't get the Damien Williams overlook.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 04:01 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Or Jaylon Ferguson, DE/Edge, Lousiana Tech. Either would be nice.
Man, I really like Jaylon too.

Honestly, reading more about him after the senior bowl he might be my favorite edge rusher that we could realistically have a shot at drafting.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 04:38 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
The dude had 3 TD's last Sunday, and would have had 4 without the overthrow. :-)
He was schemed open imo. We need a dominant rb to really enhance this O and keep it at a high level I think.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:26 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
He was schemed open imo. We need a dominant rb to really enhance this O and keep it at a high level I think.
You should re-read your sentence. And think about what you said in it. And what it means.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:26 PM 01-27-2019
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
Man, I really like Jaylon too.

Honestly, reading more about him after the senior bowl he might be my favorite edge rusher that we could realistically have a shot at drafting.
ME TOO! :-)
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 01:48 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You should re-read your sentence. And think about what you said in it. And what it means.
If he's relying on being schemed open then he's not top class. The better rb's don't need to be schemed open, THEY DOMINATE either way. I hope you can fathom my point this time.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:07 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
If he's relying on being schemed open then he's not top class. The better rb's don't need to be schemed open, THEY DOMINATE either way. I hope you can fathom my point this time.
I got it in the first place. I think you're misguided.

RB's always do well in Reid's scheme. Always. Because, as you say, they are 'schemed open'.

Hunt had some particular physical attributes, notably outstanding balance. Damien Williams is a good receiver, pass blocker, shifty runner with some power and 'want to'. He produces like a top 10 back projected over a full season. You also have Darrel Williams, who has looked like an excellent power back in limited duty. And Ware, who just a couple of years ago was your #1 back and has 4 years now in the offense. If you had to, West has also been decent. You have a stable of RB's that can all produce.

Statistically speaking, however, we lost absolutely nothing when Hunt left. The production didn't drop off.

When you have a top flight offense with everyone returning, including depth at RB, and a #31 ranked defense, you don't spend draft capital or FA money on RB's. Even with Hunt here, RB is like the 3rd option of this offense.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 08:26 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I got it in the first place. I think you're misguided.

RB's always do well in Reid's scheme. Always. Because, as you say, they are 'schemed open'.

Hunt had some particular physical attributes, notably outstanding balance. Damien Williams is a good receiver, pass blocker, shifty runner with some power and 'want to'. He produces like a top 10 back projected over a full season. You also have Darrel Williams, who has looked like an excellent power back in limited duty. And Ware, who just a couple of years ago was your #1 back and has 4 years now in the offense. If you had to, West has also been decent. You have a stable of RB's that can all produce.

Statistically speaking, however, we lost absolutely nothing when Hunt left. The production didn't drop off.

When you have a top flight offense with everyone returning, including depth at RB, and a #31 ranked defense, you don't spend draft capital or FA money on RB's. Even with Hunt here, RB is like the 3rd option of this offense.
Well firstly Ware is a free agent this offseason and is unlikely to be back. Secondly Williams has been in the league for a while now and this is his best ever period of production and why is that? It's because he's scheme reliant imo and isn't someone who's natural ability can change a game like Kareem could. Tbh I would be stunned if the Chiefs follow your logic and don't get a new rb. Yes, the defense needs attention but there is no harm in strengthening your strength (offense) a little more too.
[Reply]
JohnDONsey 08:48 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
He was schemed open imo. We need a dominant rb to really enhance this O and keep it at a high level I think.
Most RBs are schemed open, it’s the nature of the position. Go look at how many yards Gurley’s o line blocks for him. Hint: the o line produces more yards than Gurley.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:59 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Well firstly Ware is a free agent this offseason and is unlikely to be back. Secondly Williams has been in the league for a while now and this is his best ever period of production and why is that? It's because he's scheme reliant imo and isn't someone who's natural ability can change a game like Kareem could. Tbh I would be stunned if the Chiefs follow your logic and don't get a new rb. Yes, the defense needs attention but there is no harm in strengthening your strength (offense) a little more too.
prepare to be stunned.

Only so many cap dollars to go around. Big, gaping holes on defense and only so many draft picks.

mid to low round RB pick, sure, perhaps. More likely a small school UDFA.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 10:19 AM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
prepare to be stunned.

Only so many cap dollars to go around. Big, gaping holes on defense and only so many draft picks.

mid to low round RB pick, sure, perhaps. More likely a small school UDFA.
No-one is saying they should bring one in in Fa. You implied that we shouldn't bring one in at all, so you seem to have changed your tune with that last statement. I believe they would take one in the third round if a decent one drops there.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up