ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 159
< 12 34561252102 > Last »
The Lounge>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!


How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!


Where to Learn More
Spoiler!


Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 10:45 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Ars has some cool photos. One of the console, once rotated 180 and cropped, is now my wallpaper.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...space-capsule/

I would hope that they could build a space ship and actually get the control panels right side up.
[Reply]
Donger 10:46 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Wait, is the hull actually transparent?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:53 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
Wait, is the hull actually transparent?
I think it's somewhat reflective. I did find this comparison to be pretty apt.


[Reply]
beach tribe 11:45 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.

OK if this is actual footage, it makes NASA look like bafoons, and makes me wonder what kind of shit our military has.
I bet the MIC's space program is just nasty.
[Reply]
beach tribe 11:49 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Even more impressive is that the engines are 3D printed. I thought I misheard Tony, err, I mean Elon, when he said that.



Obligatory test firing video!

Oh, so this stuff is for NASA?
[Reply]
unlurking 11:54 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
I would hope that they could build a space ship and actually get the control panels right side up.
This image is of the console in the "up" position. If you watch the unveil video, you'll notice that it is not fixed. It flips up out of the way for astronauts to get in and out of the seats. Kind of like the TNG consoles that rotate sideways to allow operators to sit, these just happen to be vertical.

EDIT:
About the 12:40 mark of the unveil video you see Musk entering the spacecraft. About 13:10 you see him operating the console after climbing into a chair. In case your in a hurry to see the console. Personally, I thought the whole video was worth watching.
[Reply]
unlurking 11:55 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by beach tribe:
Oh, so this stuff is for NASA?
It's to win the manned space vehicle contract for NASA. Two other teams are competing, Boeing and Sierra Nevada. I'm sure it will be used in the private sector once someone figures out what to do with it though.
[Reply]
Donger 12:06 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by unlurking:
This image is of the console in the "up" position. If you watch the unveil video, you'll notice that it is not fixed. It flips up out of the way for astronauts to get in and out of the seats. Kind of like the TNG consoles that rotate sideways to allow operators to sit, these just happen to be vertical.

EDIT:
About the 12:40 mark of the unveil video you see Musk entering the spacecraft. About 13:10 you see him operating the console after climbing into a chair. In case your in a hurry to see the console. Personally, I thought the whole video was worth watching.
I was kidding
[Reply]
unlurking 12:10 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Donger:
I was kidding
Ahhh. Well since I went to the trouble I'm posting this anyway... :-)


[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:20 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.


Wow. That's pretty awesome.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:54 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.

Crazy. I wouldn't think it would stay upright falling back to earth in the wind.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:09 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by unlurking:
It's to win the manned space vehicle contract for NASA. Two other teams are competing, Boeing and Sierra Nevada. I'm sure it will be used in the private sector once someone figures out what to do with it though.
Asteroid mining. Zero -G manufacturing.
[Reply]
unlurking 03:18 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Crazy. I wouldn't think it would stay upright falling back to earth in the wind.
Or in a stampede!!! :-)


[Reply]
unlurking 03:21 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Asteroid mining. Zero -G manufacturing.
OK, maybe I should have said decided what to fund it to do. As the costs go down I'm sure tons of projects will open up. Question is just who will pony up for it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:49 PM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Crazy. I wouldn't think it would stay upright falling back to earth in the wind.
oh and LOL at the cows at :20.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 159
< 12 34561252102 > Last »
Up