ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2516 of 3903
« First < 1516201624162466250625122513251425152516 251725182519252025262566261630163516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:19 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
The fact that cases spike and then come down is not justification for doing nothing, because the level of that spike can vary and make a huge difference. As you quoted Sweden, who did not lock down, had a much higher death rate.

The virus may still be "out there", but there are countries with insignificant amounts of new cases, and the vast majority seem to be getting better by the week. But not the US, because everyone here wants to call it a hoax or say they are sick of it and if they really really really wish it to go away then it will.
Way higher? Did New York lock down? Because they lead the world. Also Sweden's overall death rate is not far from USA's.

Furthermore I wouldn't trust the numbers coming out of most of Europe do to their lack of testing.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:20 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Right. You push the death into the future..it's a juggling act. And that's assuming your whole plan works.

Right now looks like Dr. Michael Levitt was the closest on Covid. The deaths go up, they peak, then they come down. Lockdown or not the curve does the same everywhere.

Now if you are an island like New Zealand and you lockdown early, congrats. You don't get Covid. Now what? When do you open? Because the virus will still be out there.
That's just demonstrably false. Norway and Finland are paired examples to Sweden. They are demographically and geographically similar. Sweden ignored a lockdown and Norway and Finland pursued an aggressive strategy with high volume testing and lockdowns.

Their deaths are 10 percent of Sweden's.

Meanwhile, they've bought themselves time to understand better therapies to minimize death, not to mention drawing themselves closer to a time when a viable vaccine could be distributed.

They've saved their healthcare workers tremendous stress and illness, and they've shown that distancing can and is effective.

It's actually comical that anyone would even attempt to support your point of view without resorting to sophistry.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:54 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That's just demonstrably false. Norway and Finland are paired examples to Sweden. They are demographically and geographically similar. Sweden ignored a lockdown and Norway and Finland pursued an aggressive strategy with high volume testing and lockdowns.

Their deaths are 10 percent of Sweden's.

Meanwhile, they've bought themselves time to understand better therapies to minimize death, not to mention drawing themselves closer to a time when a viable vaccine could be distributed.

They've saved their healthcare workers tremendous stress and illness, and they've shown that distancing can and is effective.

It's actually comical that anyone would even attempt to support your point of view without resorting to sophistry.

When the deaths are so small as in just a few thousand in Sweden there are many equally valid explanations to yours.

If lockdowns are so key explain the higher death totals in Belgium, England, and Italy who followed a lockdown strategy.

Many of the world's top scientists still think Sweden had the best model.
[Reply]
tk13 04:19 PM 07-06-2020
Reason 213 the Sweden plan was terrible: We don't know how the virus behaves yet. A new Spanish study showed only 5% of people have antibodies.

Spain's large-scale study (61k people) indicates just 5% of its population has developed coronavirus antibodies - ie herd immunity “unachieveable” without vaccines. Largest antibody study in Europe according to European CDC. #COVID19 https://t.co/02nfJF1oA0

— Eric Feigl-Ding (@DrEricDing) July 6, 2020

[Reply]
sedated 04:28 PM 07-06-2020
If lockdowns are so key explain the higher death totals in Belgium, England, and Italy who followed a lockdown strategy.
Larger populations?

Who? They have themselves admitted it was a mistake.
[Reply]
Donger 04:32 PM 07-06-2020
When the deaths are so small as in just a few thousand in Sweden there are many equally valid explanations to yours.

Again, you are ignoring per capita deaths. Why? If a country of 100 population only had 50 deaths, would you call that a success because they only had 50 deaths?

I don't know about Belgium, but the UK and Italy resisted lockdown efforts.

Which top scientists say that Sweden had the best model? Their own epidemiologist admits that they made mistakes.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:34 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Larger populations?

Who? They have themselves admitted it was a mistake.
I don't know who has said what but the numbers show as far as deaths per 1m Pop. that Sweden is better off than the UK, Spain and Italy and is separated with us by only France. And currently none of their active cases are serious or critical.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:41 PM 07-06-2020
This is all such bullshit. All the people that have been gathering in large numbers and not doing anything to protect us all, including themselves, should be punished for their carelessness. Those are the people that are causing this to get worse. They are the ones that are putting our economy and lifestyles in jeopardy. Put on and wear a mask and stay 30 feet away from others if at all possible. If it is not then make sure you have a mask and so do those people or publicly shame those people for not wearing masks.
[Reply]
tk13 04:48 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I don't know who has said what but the numbers show as far as deaths per 1m Pop. that Sweden is better off than the UK, Spain and Italy and is separated with us by only France. And currently none of their active cases are serious or critical.
Notice no one ever compares Sweden to their neighbors Finland and Norway. I wonder why that is?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:48 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
This is all such bullshit. All the people that have been gathering in large numbers and not doing anything to protect us all, including themselves, should be punished for their carelessness. Those are the people that are causing this to get worse. They are the ones that are putting our economy and lifestyles in jeopardy. Put on and wear a mask and stay 30 feet away from others if at all possible. If it is not then make sure you have a mask and so do those people or publicly shame those people for not wearing masks.
That's idiotic. First off there are people who legitimately cannot wear masks for medical reasons.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:49 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Notice no one ever compares Sweden to their neighbors Finland and Norway. I wonder why that is?
I didn't know I was supposed too? I guess that means we should compare Kansas to Arizona?
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:49 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
agreed.

This could all be over at this point.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:51 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
agreed.

This could all be over at this point.
Really? You think it would have just gone away?
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:54 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Really? You think it would have just gone away?
I think there was a way to make that happen.

I've laid it out multiple times here.

But fuck pete, you are against wearing a mask still.

Shows that there are so many stupid people out there that no I don't think it's ever going away at this point
[Reply]
petegz28 04:57 PM 07-06-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I think there was a way to make that happen.

I've laid it out multiple times here.

But **** pete, you are against wearing a mask still.

Shows that there are so many stupid people out there that no I don't think it's ever going away at this point
What's stupid is thinking this was just going to all go away in a month or two because people wore a mask.

But you obviously you know better than everyone. And just so you know, many experts are now pushing the WHO to classify this as airborne.

It was never going to go away at any point. Something you have failed to come to grips with this entire time.

But I am not here to argue with you. Good day.
[Reply]
Page 2516 of 3903
« First < 1516201624162466250625122513251425152516 251725182519252025262566261630163516 > Last »
Up