ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1802 of 3903
« First < 802130217021752179217981799180018011802 180318041805180618121852190223022802 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 04:51 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
My point was that accepting that this is a difficult problem that's going to take time, . . . an unknown amount of time that doesn't even have solid metrics for progress let alone resolution, is a very different imposition than 'stay put for x, and we promise y' which was the basis for criticizing our national sense of shared sacrifice.

Think of that experiment with kids and Oreos, or was it m&ms? . . . think it was marshmallows... Where you made a bargain where they could eat one now, or two in 5 minutes. Even then there was a psychological differentiation regarding deferred gratification.

Now make it a starving kid, and say they can have one marshmallow now, . . . or maybe someday later in the week, someone might drop by with two, . . we hope. . . The differentiation would be off the charts.
I get what you are saying but without delving into the politics that is why it is important to have a unified plan and message.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:59 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I get what you are saying but without delving into the politics that is why it is important to have a unified plan and message.
I don't think that particular problem is so much political.
A big part of a lack of a unified plan is because the plan isn't clear yet, because the obstacles still aren't clearly defined, and a unified plan ahead of a clear understanding of the obstacles is an invitation to an eventual loss of authority when the unforeseen destroys initial plans.
The second big part of the lack of a unified plan is social media in an open society means everyone gets a veto, and a chance to offer their interpretation of and assessment of said hypothesized plan.

Unless you are envisioning a political environment where the future is defined by declaration and free expression is eliminated, in addition to current restrictions, it's not a political matter. It's a matter of the arrow of time and human nature.
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:09 PM 05-03-2020
I don't think that particular problem is so much political.
A big part of a lack of a unified plan is because the plan isn't clear yet, because the obstacles still aren't clearly defined, and a unified plan ahead of a clear understanding of the obstacles is an invitation to an eventual loss of authority when the unforeseen destroys initial plans.
The second big part of the lack of a unified plan is social media in an open society means everyone gets a veto, and a chance to offer their interpretation of and assessment of said hypothesized plan.

Unless you are envisioning a political environment where the future is defined by declaration and free expression is eliminated, in addition to current restrictions, it's not a political matter. It's a matter of the arrow of time and human nature.

I believe to have this discussion involves politics and that is all I can say because I don't want to get bounced from this thread.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:14 PM 05-03-2020
I believe to have this discussion involves politics and that is all I can say because I don't want to get bounced from this thread.
I guess we'll just stick with the apparently approved passive-aggressive 'We all know why everyone but us is an asshole, but I don't want to get political' line that pops up every 50 posts or so. [not accusing you specifically]
[Reply]
TLO 05:14 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
What we’re the counts yesterday? I can’t find the daily data for mo
They haven't updated the page where I look at previous days numbers. I'll post it when they update it. I did find this.

Buchanan County
As of Sun, May 3, 2020, 7:06 PM EDT
CONFIRMED CASES
+301.7%Since last week

Thanks Triumph!
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:20 PM 05-03-2020
I guess we'll just stick with the apparently approved passive-aggressive 'We all know why everyone but us is an asshole, but I don't want to get political' line that pops up every 50 posts or so. [not accusing you specifically]

I am not trying to be passive aggressive and would glad to tell you what I think elsewhere but not here because I would get bounced
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:23 PM 05-03-2020
I think people are getting bored and want out of the house for sure. The states that have beaches, parks etc open are getting huge crowds and no social distancing.

And yes it is frustrating not to have any answers but that is because this is a highly contagious and deadly novel virus that we are slowly trying to figure it out.
One advantage to states doing their own thing is it should provide some good data points that are specific to the US. (As opposed to countries we aren't going to replicate.) About what does or doesn't work.

I'm glad to be in a state that is not going down the road of quickly opening things up. But I do realize the lockdown/social distancing doesn't effect everyone equally. Even with the ability to work from home, I would have been far more annoyed to be stuck at home ten or fifteen years ago when I had a more active lifestyle.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:23 PM 05-03-2020
I am not trying to be passive aggressive and would glad to tell you what I think elsewhere but not here because I would get bounced
Is this thing on? :-)

[not accusing you specifically]

[Reply]
Kidd Lex 05:24 PM 05-03-2020
I don’t know what to make of posts like this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/...598505472?s=21
[Reply]
TLO 05:26 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:

Twitter is best avoided, IMO.

Reading into that person a bit more they seem to be pushing a political agenda.
[Reply]
TLO 05:42 PM 05-03-2020
We passed 68k deaths today. I'd say the IHME model took a swing, and missed by about a mile. Current projections (as of April 29th) have us as 72k deaths by August.

Good try model, better luck next time.
[Reply]
O.city 05:44 PM 05-03-2020
https://twitter.com/benpershing/stat...027560961?s=21
[Reply]
Monticore 05:45 PM 05-03-2020

I am not on Twitter or Facebook or any other social media at first I was worried I might be missing out , but now I see it as a blessing.
[Reply]
tk13 05:51 PM 05-03-2020

If you read what the doctors who have dealt with this have said... that's not really that surprising.This thing behaves in all kinds of weird ways.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:55 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
If you read what the doctors who have dealt with this have said... that's not really that surprising.This thing behaves in all kinds of weird ways.
One thing that has not been fully appreciated is the significant morbidity that will accompany those that get this bug and survive.
[Reply]
Page 1802 of 3903
« First < 802130217021752179217981799180018011802 180318041805180618121852190223022802 > Last »
Up