ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1801 of 3903
« First < 801130117011751179117971798179918001801 180218031804180518111851190123012801 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:20 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Smart car for ants.

For real, they are delivering online orders. They are buzzing all over Tempe. If you get close to it it will speed up. Too close and it warns you. It will also tell you to move if you get in front of it. They also read traffic signals so they can cross busy streets safely.

Bye bye food delivery companies. I want one for my own personal use.
But can it handle the snow?
[Reply]
Donger 03:20 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Wtf is that?

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:23 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
O city keeps talking about vaccines but I'm willing to bet there wont be one
Depends what you mean by a vaccine and the time scale. Nobody yet knows for sure but my take it is extremely unlikely there is going to be a vaccine in the next nine months that provides 95%+ protection. At most maybe something that reduces somewhat your chances of getting sick and maybe reduces the severity.

But certainly a tremendous amount of resources are being thrown at this. If an effective vaccine is possible with our current level of technology, we are likely to find it. But an effective vaccine that you can get to billions of people, I'll take the over on the time estimates.
[Reply]
notorious 03:24 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I think most people wouldn't want to infect their family members and if everyone had a place where they could isolate for 14 days then they should but if they don't then why not a voluntary quarantine in an empty hotel with other covid people.

Okay, you changed it to voluntary.

Who wouldn't support that?
[Reply]
tk13 03:38 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's true, and it'll never happen here. It kind of sucks, though, that some countries are largely back to normal already because they truly locked down while we're going to be dealing with it for months. If you told me right now that I literally had to go to jail for a month but everything would be fine when I got out, I'd take that in an instant. We just don't have a culture of that level of sacrifice for the greater good.
I'm a bit worried about that. I think we haven't seen the worst of that yet. Especially when other countries are going to be much more back to normal and we're going to be sitting here fighting around in the same circles again and again.
[Reply]
Bowser 05-03-2020, 03:44 PM
This message has been deleted by Bowser. Reason: fuck it
dirk digler 03:44 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Okay, you changed it to voluntary.

Who wouldn't support that?
Yeah that is my fault.

There is lots of people who wouldn't favor it, just go look in DC at all those idiots and all the its no worse than flu crowd.
[Reply]
TLO 03:46 PM 05-03-2020
I haven't been paying as close attention to this over the past few days, but here's Missouri's latest numbers.

Cases in Missouri: 8,386

Total Deaths: 352

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 91,083
As of 2:00 p.m. CT, May 3

Around 900 hospitalized currently.
[Reply]
notorious 03:49 PM 05-03-2020
Yeah that is my fault.

There is lots of people who wouldn't favor it, just go look in DC at all those idiots and all the its no worse than flu crowd.

I think it's a great idea.

DC gonna DC.
[Reply]
notorious 03:53 PM 05-03-2020
I am surrounded by counties that have the same infection rate as New York.

Almost 3 people per 100. That didn't take long. Yikes.
[Reply]
O.city 03:53 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I haven't been paying as close attention to this over the past few days, but here's Missouri's latest numbers.

Cases in Missouri: 8,386

Total Deaths: 352

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 91,083
As of 2:00 p.m. CT, May 3

Around 900 hospitalized currently.
What we’re the counts yesterday? I can’t find the daily data for mo
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 03:55 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think we’ll end up woth a vaccine by September for health care workers and elderly. Manufacturing it for everyone is gonna take a while.
As someone who works in the health care industry I can say there is no way you’re getting most health care workers to agree to take a vaccine that was made that fast.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:17 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's true, and it'll never happen here. It kind of sucks, though, that some countries are largely back to normal already because they truly locked down while we're going to be dealing with it for months. If you told me right now that I literally had to go to jail for a month but everything would be fine when I got out, I'd take that in an instant. We just don't have a culture of that level of sacrifice for the greater good.
Come on now . . .

First off, I'm gonna need someone to explain the nuances between mentioning politics and openly grousing about culture of sacrifice, . . . somewhere, somehow.

But 'one month in jail' is a definitive bargaining position, based on a hypothetical. An overwhelming majority of the non-sacrificing, non-greater-good populace would trade a definite penalty for a definite solution.

OK, on month in jail . . . in a heartbeat? How about a month without food? 3 months in jail without food and rainwater only? Stay in jail until everyone outside agrees you can go free?

I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental, but I'm also trying to put a broader perspective about the actual dynamics of the situation. People aren't itching to get out because they're bored, they're not getting promising data on resolution while the data on consequences of their sacrifice piles up. It's not about wanting an ice cream cone on the first week in May, it's starting to bristle that things could stretch on for months with nothing more for guidance than 'stay inside until we say otherwise.'

And before people slam me for HOLDING these positions, I'm merely trying to empathize with and give voice to them, instead of less reasoned or charitable interpretations.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:25 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
I think it's a great idea.

DC gonna DC.

I think it is to.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:32 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Come on now . . .

First off, I'm gonna need someone to explain the nuances between mentioning politics and openly grousing about culture of sacrifice, . . . somewhere, somehow.

But 'one month in jail' is a definitive bargaining position, based on a hypothetical. An overwhelming majority of the non-sacrificing, non-greater-good populace would trade a definite penalty for a definite solution.

OK, on month in jail . . . in a heartbeat? How about a month without food? 3 months in jail without food and rainwater only? Stay in jail until everyone outside agrees you can go free?

I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental, but I'm also trying to put a broader perspective about the actual dynamics of the situation. People aren't itching to get out because they're bored, they're not getting promising data on resolution while the data on consequences of their sacrifice piles up. It's not about wanting an ice cream cone on the first week in May, it's starting to bristle that things could stretch on for months with nothing more for guidance than 'stay inside until we say otherwise.'

And before people slam me for HOLDING these positions, I'm merely trying to empathize with and give voice to them, instead of less reasoned or charitable interpretations.
I think people are getting bored and want out of the house for sure. The states that have beaches, parks etc open are getting huge crowds and no social distancing.

And yes it is frustrating not to have any answers but that is because this is a highly contagious and deadly novel virus that we are slowly trying to figure it out.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:37 PM 05-03-2020
I think people are getting bored and want out of the house for sure. The states that have beaches, parks etc open are getting huge crowds and no social distancing.

And yes it is frustrating not to have any answers but that is because this is a highly contagious and deadly novel virus that we are slowly trying to figure it out.
My point was that accepting that this is a difficult problem that's going to take time, . . . an unknown amount of time that doesn't even have solid metrics for progress let alone resolution, is a very different imposition than 'stay put for x, and we promise y' which was the basis for criticizing our national sense of shared sacrifice.

Think of that experiment with kids and Oreos, or was it m&ms? . . . think it was marshmallows... Where you made a bargain where they could eat one now, or two in 5 minutes. Even then there was a psychological differentiation regarding deferred gratification.

Now make it a starving kid, and say they can have one marshmallow now, . . . or maybe someday later in the week, someone might drop by with two, . . we hope. . . The differentiation would be off the charts.
[Reply]
Page 1801 of 3903
« First < 801130117011751179117971798179918001801 180218031804180518111851190123012801 > Last »
Up