ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Dems want to foul the House even more
HonestChieffan 09:49 AM 12-02-2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

This is nothing more than a way to divide us more

WASHINGTON ó Newly empowered Democrats plan to let lawmakers wear religious head coverings on the House floor by creating an exception to a hat ban that has existed since 1837 ó when there was reportedly very little debate before the enactment of a rule prohibiting what one member then described as the ďreally harmless but apparently indecorous practiceĒ of indoor hat-wearing.

In recent years, the rule hasn't been enforced to preclude members, staff or religious leaders from wearing head coverings on the floor, but the victory of Minnesota Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar, a Muslim who wears a headscarf, has put a spotlight on its continued existence.

Democrats say they will add an exemption for religious headwear under their new package of rules changes for the next Congress, which begins in January, so that the protection of religious expression is explicit. The language will also cover someone wearing a head covering due to illness and loss of hair.

"Democrats know that our strength lies in our diversity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion,Ē said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement to NBC News. ďAfter voters elected the most diverse Congress in history, clarifying the antiquated rule banning headwear will further show the remarkable progress we have made as a nation."

"This change will finally codify that no restriction may be placed on a memberís ability to do the job they were elected to do simply because of their faith," said incoming House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, D-Mass., who is working on the amendment with Omar and Pelosi. "The American people just elected the most diverse Congress in history and our rules should embody that."

Omar applauded the plan.

"No one puts a scarf on my head but me. Itís my choice ó one protected by the First Amendment," she wrote on Twitter. "And this is not the last ban Iím going to work to lift."
[Reply]
vailpass 06:41 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
If you're talking about some sort of government policy that treats them differently based upon the fact that they are Muslims, you're going to run into this problem with Amendment No. 1. Not going to happen.
1A is one way they will hang us if we let them. We canít find a solution for that until we collectively recognize and admit the problem.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:50 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
1A is one way they will hang us if we let them. We canít find a solution for that until we collectively recognize and admit the problem.
It's in the Constitution. There is no "solution" (what I believe you seem to have in mind) that will stand up in the face of a Constitutional challenge.

You would have to amend the Constitution to make an exception for Muslims.

What do you think are the chances that anyone in power even suggests that, much less tries to do it?
[Reply]
vailpass 06:57 PM 12-06-2018
It's in the Constitution. There is no "solution" (what I believe you seem to have in mind) that will stand up in the face of a Constitutional challenge.

You would have to amend the Constitution to make an exception for Muslims.

What do you think are the chances that anyone in power even suggests that, much less tries to do it?
Iím suggesting no answers. Im speaking a truth that needs to be spoken so we recognize the problem. Once the problem is fully recognized the solutions will follow and not until then.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 11:24 AM 12-07-2018
Also read article 6 you disgusting bigot
[Reply]
vailpass 11:43 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Also read article 6 you disgusting bigot
After you read the back of my hand you wretched woman.
[Reply]
CrazyPhuD 11:54 AM 12-07-2018
:-)

Republicans should just show up to every house session wearing burkas...or would that be considered cultural appropriation? :-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 11:57 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD:

Republicans should just show up to every house session wearing burkas...or would that be considered cultural appropriation? :-)
Or better yet, start a new religion. Call it MAGA. They could all wear red ball caps with their religion's name on it :-)
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 01:19 PM 12-07-2018
After you read the back of my hand you wretched woman.
lol, we all know this is all you've got. it's pitiful.
[Reply]
Trolly McTrollson 01:24 PM 12-07-2018
I like that the morons are wearing red hats so we can identify them from a distance, fine with me if they want to wear them in Congress.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:46 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson:
I like that the morons are wearing red hats so we can identify them from a distance, fine with me if they want to wear them in Congress.

All better, less racist, people than you.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:56 PM 12-07-2018
I would hope that any new incoming member would want to observe the accepted decorum and remove their head cover.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 01:58 PM 12-07-2018
Do you actually know any Muslims?

Two of my colleagues are Muslim, and neither one has the least bit of radicalness in them. Both are, from all appearances, completely apolitical.

One is female, btw. She does observe Muslim holidays (Ramadan, in particular), but doesn't wear any sort of head covering.
[Reply]
patteeu 02:02 PM 12-07-2018

Two of my colleagues are Muslim, and neither one has the least bit of radicalness in them. Both are, from all appearances, completely apolitical.

One is female, btw. She does observe Muslim holidays (Ramadan, in particular), but doesn't wear any sort of head covering.
Have you talked to them about it? Ask them if they think the Great Satan deserved 9/11? What's their position on stoning... rape victims or just adulteresses and gay people? :-)
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:07 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Have you talked to them about it? Ask them if they think the Great Satan deserved 9/11? What's their position on stoning... rape victims or just adulteresses and gay people? :-)

No, I think I'll pass on that.

I do know she doesn't drink, however. Which made it worse when were all at lunch one day, and the waiter soaked her with a spilled beer.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:14 PM 12-07-2018

What an interesting work environment you must have.
Individual cases are not the issue. You know this or you should know this.

BTW you can't spot the radicals by looking at them. And they don't have to be bombers to be dangerous to our way of life.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up